Saris NO lifetime warranty!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Saris NO lifetime warranty!!!

I suppose it's a trickery of words and if a company has to use trickery, then it shows how fake they are.

Some years ago I bought a Saris bones rs, a three bike rack. One of the tops reason I bought it was because of the so called sales pitch "Life time warranty"

I called them to follow up on a email where they requested pics.

The person who answered the phone told me "We don't make that rack anymore, so it's not under warranty anymore"

Wow!!! So what does life time mean to you?
    TREK 2012 Marlin
    TREK 2013 Superfly Comp - Carbon
    I want 3600+ miles for 2019

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Is there a written life time warranty---or just a sales pitch from whomever---if so I'd call back you may get a different person and answer and if not ask to speak with the boss---but first read the thing so you can be accurate

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post
    Is there a written life time warranty---or just a sales pitch from whomever---if so I'd call back you may get a different person and answer and if not ask to speak with the boss---but first read the thing so you can be accurate
    Saris NO lifetime warranty!!!-screenshot_20190603-231722_chrome.jpg

Yup, and its still shown on the page
    TREK 2012 Marlin

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    If you have the energy go for it-----could just need another conversation

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    You need to read the actual warranty conditions.

Guaranteed for a life time. Whose life? Your aunt's?
    The life of the equipment is over the moment it brakes. And with it the warranty.
    2018 Motobecane Sturgis NX
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

Co Springs
    LT warranty in many cases is written as defects in workmanship and warranty claims are typically denied (legitimately or not) after some inspection or investigation that reveals no defects were related to a failure or performance claim.

ie; A lifetime warranty is usually a warranty against defects in materials and workmanship that has no time limit to make a claim, rather than a warranty that the product will perform for the lifetime of the buyer.

I'd venture a guess that Lifetime Warranty is one of the most often used , misunderstood items in print on boxes, directions or owners manuals. It may sound misleading but LT Warranty is part of a description or paragraph that defines what they cover. The rest of the story hasn't been included here but can be reviewed at Saris I would think.

That said, I'd still pursue any company if the item I owned (discontinued or not) had a potential flaw or defect.

ADDED-

"
    Lifetime Warranty and Details | Saris

https://www.saris.com/support/warranty

Official Warranty Terms. Saris Cycling Group, Inc (SCG), parent company of Saris Racks, warrants our product to the original consumer to be free from defects in materials and workmanship. Please retain your sales slip for your records, as proof of purchase will be required. "
    bachman must spread some Reputation around before giving it to himself again. :madman:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HAMP View Post
    So what does life time mean to you?
    I assume a lifetime warranty covers manufacturing defects for the reasonable service life of the product. So a product that wears out or was damaged in use would not be covered. I would also expect that the warranty coverage had a reasonable time limit regardless of use. So if you bought a rack and stored it in its box for 15 years and then used it only to discover it was defective I would not be mad that the company didn't cover it under the lifetime warranty as the reasonable lifetime of that product from time of purchase had expired.

Coming at it the other way a warranty is like any other human transaction....in that it depends highly on the way the people involved behave. I know the internet lawyers will say they'll go to court to enforce a warranty on a $20 item, but they won't. Even on a bicycle it's unlikely that a warranty dispute is going to be settled anywhere, but between the consumer and some of the employees of the company.

You can get duds on both ends of that interaction. Consumers who are unreasonable/rude/etc... and employees who are rude/uninterested/etc... As the consumer you can only control your end of the interaction, but you can [in a lot of cases] try communicating with someone else at the company if you feel you are not getting a reasonable outcome.

I have been successful at getting warranty coverage for products that were clearly out of warranty. So it's not black and white. It's all about how you communicate and manage the process.

On a related note we bought a Yakima tray rack for the back of my GF's car ~8 years ago. Last year the part that locks it folded up or down in bike carrying mode failed. We contacted Yakima and they sold us a replacement at retail. Then one of the tray arms broke and we contacted Yakima and they sent us a brand new tray for free. If you read their lifetime warranty you could argue that either neither problem was covered or that only the failed fold lock was covered. What actually happened was totally different because life.

Given the cost of the rack [we bought it on 50% sale] and how much hard use it has had neither of us was going to kill ourselves arguing about the warranty coverage. We were polite, appreciative of the help we got and rolled with the situation. We paid a few bucks the first time and the second time got a freebie. Most importantly we got the rack working so we didn't have to put it in a landfill and buy a new one.

If I was the OP I would call again and hopefully speak to someone else who might be more helpful. It may or may not work, but it's worth another 5mins of your life.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Sure, fake trickery....like OT posts that show up in Bikepacking, and ghost moderators that don't move them out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    Sure, fake trickery....like OT posts that show up in Bikepacking, and ghost moderators that don't move them out.
    Which thread should this be posted?
    TREK 2012 Marlin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HAMP View Post
    Which thread should this be posted?
    https://forums.mtbr.com/cars-bike-racks/
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    So what was wrong with the rack? i.e. what broke?
    Help chart the mountains at www.appalachianbiketrails.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
    So what was wrong with the rack? i.e. what broke?
    Saris NO lifetime warranty!!!-20190528_164011.jpg

I started this thread in the wrong sub... lol

Will have to fix when I get home or a mid can move it. I had my carbon bike on it. Driving up the freeway and see my bike up in the air like a kite
    TREK 2012 Marlin

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Most companies want to keep you as a customer so they will try and appease you the best way possible. I usually see full replacement of product from the Thule or Yakima and if they don't make your rack any longer they usually will replace with the next closest current version. I have also seen both brands offer the consumer a substancial discount to purchase a new product to replace the old product as long as they are the original owner..

mtbr member
    Well, this company doesn't want to keep anyone... lol

They continued to give me a hard time, and when they finally decided to send me the replacement part, they sent the wrong piece. I haven't called them back yet.

I know I had the rack awhile, and I am a person who takes care of my things. Honestly, I haven't used it that much, maybe 3-5 times during some summer months.

Kinda of expensive for as many times as I used it.
    TREK 2012 Marlin

EAT MORE GRIME
    according to the warranty that should be 100% covered

original owner
    not a maintenance part (won't rust, nothing to do)
    it broke due to manufacturing defect (either a defect or poor design)
    that anchor should be stronger than the strap, and it wasn't.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Wow, I'm surprised by the service you aren't getting. I bought a SuperClamp rack and the bolt became cross threaded and customer service was quick to get me a part and initially wanted to charge me for it, but after I suggested that the nut might not have been corrected welded, they just agreed to send it at no cost. Note that I spoke with a different person and got the better result. It's too bad about your service as I like their product.

mtbr member
    I called today, and I gotten a 3rd excuse. Now they are telling me, the reason it's out of warranty is because the bones rs 3 not suppose to be on a Subaru legacy. When I bought it, it was placed on a Grand Cherokee. I called when I gotten this car

At that time they were updating there servers and database. I couldn't look anything up at the time, but they called me back and said yes it would fit.

When I explained what I was told, she gave me a lame excuse. She told me she couldn't look up employees that no longer work their. I really laughed inside when she told me that. She didnt ask who I spoke with.
    TREK 2012 Marlin

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I had a Fisher Montare 29er, years ago, and was assured by LBS that it was a trail worthy MTB frame.

In one of my dumbest upgrade decisions ever, I used a friend's offer to get an F29 at cost, he was a shop employee and got to put in one large order for himself and a few friends every year, and I wasted that opportunity to "upgrade" a Montare.

Still, I contacted Fisher through email before placing the order, to ensure that the frame was designed for trail riding and a 100 mm suspension fork.

Fisher replied "yes" to both. I never took it to mean iron clad under all circumstances, and expected I could get a run around from Fisher in the future.

Never had to make a warranty claim on that rig, but my expectation was it would be iffy because the frame seemed susceptible to me and I had already destroyed the stock fork on it riding trails.

My 10+ year old Enduro, broke the swing arm hucking to flat--finally--but what a great bike. Specialized dealer went out of their way to find what they claimed was last swing arm in existence for that frame. When it arrived it didn't fit. Still, kudos to them for working their arse to find it. Would have cost me just $125.

None of these things are as certain or iron clad as we may think. So ratchet expectations accordingly and use opportunity like this to leverage a reasonable outcome.

May the Force be with you.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Yakima has the most amazing warranty I've ever used. Bought a roof rack system with two bike trays used. Used them probably a year or so. One of the mounting clamps broke on the bike tray. contacted Yakima just to try. Figured they wouldn't because I didn't have any proof of purchase. Asked for pictures. The trays I had were no longer made. So not only did they replace the broken one no questions asked with a current model...they sent a second one to replace the other tray that wasn't even broken.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

All fat, all the time.
    Sounds just like the Thule experience I had, rusting front the inside, they told me to take it off the vehicle in winter. (I ride all year long).

I stick with 1up now