Saris freedom ex2? If not, best rack under $300?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Saris freedom ex2? If not, best rack under $300?

New rack time!

The saris freedom ex2 caught my eye. I like that it's light and tilts, but I suppose neither is a huge deal.

I do like that the ex2 doesn't use the hook clamps. Mine seem to rub my paint... But then again, I'm left questioning how secure that ends up.

Is there a significantly better rack in that price range? 2 bike only, and I have a 1.25 hitch. I'm carrying AM bikes at the most, road bikes at the least. No fat, no DH, nothing crazy long that won't fit otherwise.

The only rack I've had was a swagman xc, which never let me down or anything, but I'd like something nicer.

mtbr member
    The Superclamp 2 EX2 is a good rack. I ended up buying the regular non-folding Superclamp 2 because I got a good deal just when the EX2 came out. It really is around 32 lbs.

I've carried everything from a 23 lbs singlespeed to a 32 lbs AM bike on mine.

The use of 2 hooks is great but when carrying 2 bikes you need to make more adjustments than a rack with a single hook like a Thule T2. I normally secure the inside bike first with a single hook at the front wheel to keep it barely upright (not tight), then bring in the 2nd bike. Secure the front hook for that 2nd bike, while also securing the rear hook of the 1st bike. Then go to the other hook.

mtbr member
    I looked at the superclamp as well, but I was mostly wondering about the freedom model. I guess they both use the "ex2" name.

mtbr member
    The Freedom has plastic wheel trays (like the Superclamp), but instead of hooks securing the bike at the wheels, it has a center bar thing that holds the bikes by the frame.