Saris freedom 2 ???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Saris freedom 2 ???

Hello forum.

Was wondering if anyone had the saris freedom 2 rack?
    Looking for pros and cons from members that have this rack.

I'm in the market for a platform style rack that was light weight so my wife didn't have to struggle to mount it to the suv. Rack is just under 20lbs.

She has a trek hybrid and I have a cannondale 29er & mongoose fatbike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I really like most of Saris's products. The price is right and the lifetime warranty is awesome. I think the freedom is a really easy to use rack, especially if you're using it on the same bike most of the time. If you're switching bikes a lot the center attachment is kinda annoying to fiddle with but that's negligible. They do make trays for fat bikes too I think. If you can I would totally go for the freedom superclamp but either are great racks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RFB
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I purchased the Freedom rack last year for the same reasons you have. It is very light and easy for my wife to hook up to her mini-van. Once you use the rack a couple times, it gets very easy to put different bikes on it. We've had combinations of my wife's comfort bike with a female friendly slanted top tube, 29ers, 27.5, 26", and downhill bikes. I marked the bar that the wheel cradles slide on with a paint marker as to where the trays are with each bike, making it easy to switch bikes. The cradles adjust side to side so I've never had to lower/raise a seat to fit the bikes. No paint damage from the frame holder on the upright. I like the screw in hitch pin. Yes, it takes a minute more than other brands, but I know the rack isn't going anywhere. Some side to side sway with bikes on it, but not enough to worry.

A couple things... It does not fold up. Get the aluminum hitch adapter if you put heavier bikes on it. Need to purchase locking hitch tite to lock rack to hitch. If you're not in a hurry, Performance Bike occasionally has it on sale and with there many coupon codes, I picked mine up for $153.00 shipped.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

mtbr member
    I decided to go with the saris freedom 2.
    Ordered it from Nashbar. I put it together and turns out, it's broken. 😠
    Called saris to see what my opinions are and the guy on the phone tells me to take it to a local saris dealer and they will send a replacement part.
    So the next day I'm on my way to my local dealer and I think to myself. " I just spent almost $400 on this rack and I'm getting it FIXED before I even use it"
    I never made it to the dealer. Went home and put it back in the box and called Nashbar to let them know I was sending it back for an exchange. They said no problem. They emailed me a UPS shipping label and I dropped it off at the UPS center. New rack coming next week.
    Next day I get a email from Saris with a tracking number for the replacement parts they shipped out to me for the rack in returned. All well. Extra parts just in case.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I bought one from etrailer and it arrived yesterday. I was surprised to find that it came with the aluminum 2" adapter instead of the plastic version. Not sure if that is by accident or design, but I'm happy to have the stronger adapter. Will be using it tomorrow for the first time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Monkey View Post
    I bought one from etrailer and it arrived yesterday. I was surprised to find that it came with the aluminum 2" adapter instead of the plastic version. Not sure if that is by accident or design, but I'm happy to have the stronger adapter. Will be using it tomorrow for the first time.
    Did your rack come with just 2 wheel straps ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by RUBZERK View Post
    Did your rack come with just 2 wheel straps ?
    No, it came with 4.