Saris Bones- Mtbr.com

Thread: Saris Bones

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Saris Bones

​Im thinking about getting the Saris Bones 3 bike rack. Its a trunk mount. Does anyone have any experience with this rack/brand?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I have it. i like it.
    But...
    I try to put a womans bike 26", other 26" and my 29"
    I took me like 1 hour.

Put on 2 x 29", like 30min....
    End up one 29" on first place and the other 29 in 3 place. It was ok.
    But, if you want to put 3 x 29" just forget it, take out back wheel on all, or unscrew your handels and pan it So those not ruin the back wheel on the others bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've moved to all racks holding bikes by the wheels (hitch and roof type) but have had great experience with Saris. Their headquarters are near by and I see the owners and many staff members are also super people in the community.

I can't say our rack of that type was bad because it cost less, but if you ride a lot you might appreciate a rack that is tray type and holds bike by the wheels.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I would be mounting 2 kids Trek bikes for girls and my 27.5 cannondale. I will need to get the bars for the kids bikes, I know.

I don't have a hitch and the roof rails get used by the Thule roof carrier.
    You a bounty hunter?
    A man's got to do something for a living these days.
    Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I had one, and will never use another trunk mount rack ever again. Ruined the paint on the bumper, and any contact points on the paint. The cross bar ruined the underside of the stem on my FS 26er and my now ex wifes FS 26er. Forget mounting 3 full size bikes on the Bones 3. It works with 2, with the empty spot in the middle. Bars hitting the saddle, what a pain in the rear end. Ditched and went hitch, was a HUGE upgrade, even with a crappy Amazon rack.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

Did I catch a niner+?
    I have a Saris Bone 2. I've had it for many years, it is not my main rack (Saris Superclamp 4) but I keep it in case other people need a rack for the weekend or something really easy.

I would say if this is going to be a permanent solution and a hitch is out of the question, then look at the Saris RS.

There is a review on Saris's website about this rack and having it clear the VW spoiler using wood blocks. There is someone here at my office using can koozies to protect the paint
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The RS was not listed as applicable to my vehicle, probably due to the spoiler above the rear hatch. It is also out of my budget as far as cost. Looking for a cost effective way to transport the bikes locally to take advantage of the good places to ride.
    You a bounty hunter?

I'd rather be on my bike
    What vehicle is this for?
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

Elitest thrill junkie
    The Saris Bones racks securely hold 1 less bike than they advertise, so the 3 bike rack is great for 2 bikes. You might be able to cram that third on there, but that much weight and leverage on your trunk is a bad idea. The bones is meant to be used as a temporary solution or occasionally, unless you don't care about the damage to the trunk, in which case, use it more. Eventually the straps will wear out if you use it all the time, easy to replace though. It's good for what it is, but you got to realize what it is and the limits, explained above.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Trunk racks suck but the bones is the best one. I used the three for two bikes, on the rare occasions that my wife wants to ride with me. It goes on her tsx.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Its a mazda cx-9 with no hitch. I have 2 kids bikes and my 27.5 cannondale that I need to transport locally. If I put them all inside the truck then no room for passengers.
    You a bounty hunter?