Saris Bones 3 trunk rack meets Ferrari Testarossa highway race- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 65 of 65
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    22

    Saris Bones 3 trunk rack meets Ferrari Testarossa highway race

    A friend and I drove up to Pinckney Rec near Ann Arbor yesterday to ride the Poto trail. We had his Saris Bones 3 trunk rack on the back of my SRT-4 with both of our bikes strapped on to it. We were coming from Toledo and for anyone that knows the stretch of US 23 between the state line and Dundee, you know that is less than the best for bumps and whatnot to start with. Well, we got on at Sterns Road just north of the state line and there was a Yukon in front of us in the left lane. When he moved out of the way to let us pass, there was a black Ferrari Testarossa in front of him. Now, I have done quite a bit of work to my Neon and it is a pretty fast car. I do not however, frequently exceed the speed limits in it much less race on highways. But here I was, next to Ferrari, in very light traffic with nothing in front of us for at least a mile and I had to see if I could get him to go. We pulled up next to and I downshifted into third and tried to punk him into hitting it. He was not biting at all so I just stuffed it and ran out 3rd and some of 4th gear. He got off at the next exit and my fun for the day was over but during all of this, that Saris bike rack hung tight on the trunk of my car. It did not even twitch at speeds in excess of 100mph!! I was really impressed with this rack and I plan to buy one of my own now to haul bikes when I can't get the wifes Jeep. I just though that I would pass on this endorsement of this product so that if anyone was looking for a solid trunk to trust their bikes to you will know the kind of environment that I have put this one through only to be extremely pleased with it's performance.

  2. #2
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    31,682
    Maybe it didn't fly off, but it's screwing up your trunk and too much weight/drag will permamently damage it. The "bones" is good as a temporary solution, I had one, but I wouldn't recommend one for the long term. You'll eat the paint away from where the hooks meet the car, and so on.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  3. #3
    Auto-x addict
    Reputation: VpointVick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    281
    Do you think the Ferrari driver was impressed by how fast your car was or just wasn't going to bother racing some tool in a Neon with a frikkin' bike rack on the trunk?

  4. #4
    local trails rider
    Reputation: perttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    12,212
    I've gone past several Porsches, riding my bike.
    .
    .
    .
    (the Porsches were parked, though)

    Is "100 + a little" the best you can do?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by VpointVick
    Do you think the Ferrari driver was impressed by how fast your car was or just wasn't going to bother racing some tool in a Neon with a frikkin' bike rack on the trunk?
    I'm sure that's what he was telling himself to keep from having to admit that his Ferrari would have lost to a tool in a Neon with a bike rack rack on the back. He wouldn't have been the first pricey Euro sports car to go down at the hand of this tool in a Neon.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime

    Is "100 + a little" the best you can do?

    With the bikes on the back, yes.

  7. #7
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    31,682
    Quote Originally Posted by bpointer
    I'm sure that's what he was telling himself to keep from having to admit that his Ferrari would have lost to a tool in a Neon with a bike rack rack on the back. He wouldn't have been the first pricey Euro sports car to go down at the hand of this tool in a Neon.
    You're kidding right? The ferrari with a V8 or V12 would have killed your neon, sorry to say. The top end on cars like that is far better than your turboed neon. You can get some decent accel at slower speeds in your neon, but a car like the ferrari will keep pulling at the higher speeds where your neon will run out of breath. Even with the 280hp now in my wrx, cars like the ferarri with at least as much or more naturally aspirated power will pull much faster. Your turbo will be past it's efficiency range trying to rev up to the rpms required. Beating a turbo car off the line from a start is difficult (especially if it has AWD), but at speed the ferrari would make you cry.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    You're kidding right? The ferrari with a V8 or V12 would have killed your neon, sorry to say. The top end on cars like that is far better than your turboed neon. You can get some decent accel at slower speeds in your neon, but a car like the ferrari will keep pulling at the higher speeds where your neon will run out of breath. Even with the 280hp now in my wrx, cars like the ferarri with at least as much or more naturally aspirated power will pull much faster. Your turbo will be past it's efficiency range trying to rev up to the rpms required. Beating a turbo car off the line from a start is difficult (especially if it has AWD), but at speed the ferrari would make you cry.
    My SRT-4, with the turbo that is on it, puts down right around 410hp at the front tires on a chassis dyno while carrying around a curb weight of 2880 lbs. The Testarossa, if it were a 1991, only made 410 hp at the crank and 390 crank hp if it were pre 91 while carting a hefty 3320 lb curb weight. Those crank levels would liberally translate to 340-360 whp.

    The turbocharger on the Neon holds 28psi of boost pretty well all the way to a 7,000 rpm redline. I have had the car just south of 160 mph in the past while the top speed of the Ferrari is 178 mph. The odds of reaching these speeds on a public highway from a 70mph roll are pretty slim though. All in all, I'm not too afraid

  9. #9
    lurkio
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    519
    How do you manage to pull away running 410 brake through the front wheels never mind the terminal understeer when cornering
    We went, earth, sky, earth sky, earth skyambulance

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by si,s
    How do you manage to pull away running 410 brake through the front wheels never mind the terminal understeer when cornering

    What does understeer have to do with a 70mph roll on highway sprint? Second, how could 410whp on a 2800lb car not pull away from 390 crank horsepower rated, 3300lb car?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,218
    Where do you keep the pu$$y magnet in the Neon? I think his fine italian auto has one built in.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Where do you keep the pu$$y magnet in the Neon? I think his fine italian auto has one built in.

    LOL. My wife confiscated all of those a long time ago!

    Although I never needed to spend six figures to pull tail in my day either.

  13. #13
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    31,682
    Quote Originally Posted by bpointer
    My SRT-4, with the turbo that is on it, puts down right around 410hp at the front tires on a chassis dyno while carrying around a curb weight of 2880 lbs. The Testarossa, if it were a 1991, only made 410 hp at the crank and 390 crank hp if it were pre 91 while carting a hefty 3320 lb curb weight. Those crank levels would liberally translate to 340-360 whp.

    The turbocharger on the Neon holds 28psi of boost pretty well all the way to a 7,000 rpm redline. I have had the car just south of 160 mph in the past while the top speed of the Ferrari is 178 mph. The odds of reaching these speeds on a public highway from a 70mph roll are pretty slim though. All in all, I'm not too afraid
    Yep, even if you're making more horsepower than that ferrari, it will still pull away from you at 120-140mph and beyond easily.

    The kind of mods that are required to make 410fwhp on your neon are excessive as well, huge turbo, big injectors, big intercooler, engine management, fuel pump, exaust, BOV, and so on. While 410hp is possible, your turbo is not going to pull with max efficiency to max RPMs most likely, and that ferrari will pull away. Just because you're making 28psi doesn't mean that you're getting max horsepower. I hope you have upgraded brakes, tranny, suspension, and other chassi improvements needed to handle the 410hp.


    It's not all about how much HP you make in 3rd gear at 6000rpms. Plus, 28psi is a crapload of boost, if you can afford new engines it's not a big deal I suppose.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    743
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Yep, even if you're making more horsepower than that ferrari, it will still pull away from you at 120-140mph and beyond easily.

    The kind of mods that are required to make 410fwhp on your neon are excessive as well, huge turbo, big injectors, big intercooler, engine management, fuel pump, exaust, BOV, and so on. While 410hp is possible, your turbo is not going to pull with max efficiency to max RPMs most likely, and that ferrari will pull away. Just because you're making 28psi doesn't mean that you're getting max horsepower. I hope you have upgraded brakes, tranny, suspension, and other chassi improvements needed to handle the 410hp.


    It's not all about how much HP you make in 3rd gear at 6000rpms. Plus, 28psi is a crapload of boost, if you can afford new engines it's not a big deal I suppose.

    Different engines can hold different levels of boost, so saying 28psi is a crapload is a relative thing. Also if its not about how much HP you make what is it about? Don't start arguing about drag coefficients or any of that crap? I
    Just ride.....

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Yep, even if you're making more horsepower than that ferrari, it will still pull away from you at 120-140mph and beyond easily.

    The kind of mods that are required to make 410fwhp on your neon are excessive as well, huge turbo, big injectors, big intercooler, engine management, fuel pump, exaust, BOV, and so on. While 410hp is possible, your turbo is not going to pull with max efficiency to max RPMs most likely, and that ferrari will pull away. Just because you're making 28psi doesn't mean that you're getting max horsepower. I hope you have upgraded brakes, tranny, suspension, and other chassi improvements needed to handle the 410hp.


    It's not all about how much HP you make in 3rd gear at 6000rpms. Plus, 28psi is a crapload of boost, if you can afford new engines it's not a big deal I suppose.
    I'm sure that this is the same bench racing that the old man in the Ferrari did to justify letting a Neon with a bike rack on it make him and his car look weak. All of this is neither here nor there though. The guy didn't want to run so all that can be done now is bench racing. You are quite mistaken however as to the capabilities of the Dodge 2.4 liter. Look up some dyno sheets for these cars and you will see that they are making an awful lot of power and torque all the way through the powerband. If the Ferrari is indeed pulling that much harder than the lighter and more powerful Neon at 140mph, he is going to have buslengths of distance to close and this race would have lasted much much longer than your average freeway roll race. The Testarossa ran a 14.2 second quarter mile to my Neon that runs mid 11's and that is from a dead stop with a 1.7XX 60ft time due to the limited traction delivered by the FWD drivetrain. Once hooked up, this car hauls like a freight train and 70-125 happens just north of an 1/8th of a mile. You are right about one thing though, it is about more than just horsepower. Weight and drag play into the equation as well which the Neon beats the Ferrari on weight by quite a bit and the difference in drag coefficient is .38 for the Neon and .36 for the Ferrari. Any way you look at it, the Ferrari's chances aren't very good if we're not wringing them all the way out which again, is unlikely on public highways.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by bpointer
    blah blah blah...srt4 is faster....blah blah..
    Whatever.

    Street racing is stupid. Street racing is dangerous. Street racing has killed people. I'm sure the guy who is obviously not stupid not only for not racing you, but also for doing what he needed to do in order to afford the Ferrari, was quite amused by your amazing display of stupidity.

    Try to justify it all you want, but you admitted to street racing already. You and your 28 pounds of boost fail.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by TX_Chunks
    Whatever.

    Street racing is stupid. Street racing is dangerous. Street racing has killed people. I'm sure the guy who is obviously not stupid not only for not racing you, but also for doing what he needed to do in order to afford the Ferrari, was quite amused by your amazing display of stupidity.

    Try to justify it all you want, but you admitted to street racing already. You and your 28 pounds of boost fail.
    28 pounds of boost fail? That's witty what forum did that learn that kind of talk on? Very original but next time throw in some of those clever abbreviations like DIAF or something like that. Forum groupies love that stuff.

    I'm not endorsing street racing there champ. In fact, I stated in my first post that I normally don't engage in this type of activity but it is not often that your are presented with a situation like I found myself in. Oh and I'm not trying to justify a damn thing. I couldn't care any less if you approve of my actions.

  18. #18
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    31,682
    Quote Originally Posted by bpointer
    28 pounds of boost fail?
    Actually yeah, sometimes it fails, it's called runaway boost and without management to cut the boost somehow, it's done some pretty bad things. There are also other ways for the turbo to fail.

    I wasn't saying you couldn't make HP before, I was saying that just because you're doing 29psi at 7000rpm doesn't mean you're making max HP. Learn more about gear and turbo efficiency.

    Also if 100+ a little is all you can do with a bike on the rear, then there's no way your car can do 160. If my slower car can do 120+ easily with bikes on the rear rack, then mine must be capable of what, 200mph?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Actually yeah, sometimes it fails, it's called runaway boost and without management to cut the boost somehow, it's done some pretty bad things. There are also other ways for the turbo to fail.

    I wasn't saying you couldn't make HP before, I was saying that just because you're doing 29psi at 7000rpm doesn't mean you're making max HP. Learn more about gear and turbo efficiency.

    Also if 100+ a little is all you can do with a bike on the rear, then there's no way your car can do 160. If my slower car can do 120+ easily with bikes on the rear rack, then mine must be capable of what, 200mph?
    Are you pulling this stuff off of Wikipedia or something because I'm not sure if you have any idea what you are talking about. Do you think that I am running a stock turbo? Also, when did I say that 100 + a little was as fast as the car would go with the bikes on the rear?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by bpointer
    I'm not endorsing street racing there champ. In fact, I stated in my first post that I normally don't engage in this type of activity but it is not often that your are presented with a situation like I found myself in. Oh and I'm not trying to justify a damn thing. I couldn't care any less if you approve of my actions.
    Yet you get on a mountain bike forum and post about how your overboosted 4-banger beat (or theoretically could beat) an exotic by street racing - props to the other guy because he refused to play your game. All of this is under the premise of posting a thumbs up on a trunk mounted rack. You said you street raced when you could have just posted that you went really fast with the rack on the car, so you obviously endorse street racing.

    I really don't care that you don't care what I think about your irresponsible actions. If you want to test the limits of your car, do it at the track. You do something stupid and post it, people are going to call you out for it.

    Let's all hope you don't kill somebody the next time you do it.

  21. #21
    rbtm member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    888
    My first thought was "Dodge Neon? What's he smokin'?" I always thought of them as teenage girl mall transportation. This, however, does look like it would be a blast: http://www.allpar.com/neon/neon-srt-4.html
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by TX_Chunks
    Yet you get on a mountain bike forum and post about how your overboosted 4-banger beat (or theoretically could beat) an exotic by street racing - props to the other guy because he refused to play your game. All of this is under the premise of posting a thumbs up on a trunk mounted rack. You said you street raced when you could have just posted that you went really fast with the rack on the car, so you obviously endorse street racing.

    I really don't care that you don't care what I think about your irresponsible actions. If you want to test the limits of your car, do it at the track. You do something stupid and post it, people are going to call you out for it.

    Let's all hope you don't kill somebody the next time you do it.
    Thanks Mom.

  23. #23
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,674
    Quote Originally Posted by bpointer
    I'm sure that this is the same bench racing that the old man in the Ferrari did to justify letting a Neon with a bike rack on it make him and his car look weak.
    I'm thinking that the Ferrari driver didn't even give you a second thought.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    I'm thinking that the Ferrari driver didn't even give you a second thought.
    Agreed. I think he has already proven what he needs to (to himself) by having bought the car of his dreams. For him, it might not be about racing every little street gnat that comes buzzing up to him. It might be about the hand-made leather interior, the confidence that is instilled in driving something that is excruciatingly tested and beautifully built.

    You saw this as a chance to play "king of the hill," whereas in reality, someone with that car and mindset is already at the top of the hill and street racing isn't going to prove anything.

    Look at Hulk Hogan's son for the results of the buzzing little gnat mindset.

  25. #25
    Auto-x addict
    Reputation: VpointVick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by bpointer
    Also, when did I say that 100 + a little was as fast as the car would go with the bikes on the rear?
    Right here.

  26. #26
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,674
    Quote Originally Posted by VpointVick
    Right here.
    Something's amiss. I topped 110 with two bikes on the roof rack, stock WRX.

  27. #27
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,674
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Agreed. I think he has already proven what he needs to (to himself) by having bought the car of his dreams. For him, it might not be about racing every little street gnat that comes buzzing up to him. It might be about the hand-made leather interior, the confidence that is instilled in driving something that is excruciatingly tested and beautifully built.

    You saw this as a chance to play "king of the hill," whereas in reality, someone with that car and mindset is already at the top of the hill and street racing isn't going to prove anything.

    Look at Hulk Hogan's son for the results of the buzzing little gnat mindset.
    This is like when some weekend warrior mountain biker hops on a road bike one time, passes a team kitted roadie, then proclaims that he dropped the roadie.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by bpointer
    Thanks Mom.
    Ouch! I give up. I've been e-defeated by a sarcastic two word reply.

    There's no point in continuing this since you obviously think your actions have no consequences. It's equally obvious that I'm not the only one here who thinks you're a tool for street racing and defending what you did.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: prophet413's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    222
    bpointer how does it fell to be a ***** on two forums?

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by VpointVick
    Right here.

    Well OK you got me there. I guess that is what I literally said. My point was that I was not going to push any farther and go any faster with the bikes on the back. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

  31. #31
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,674
    Quote Originally Posted by TX_Chunks
    Ouch! I give up. I've been e-defeated by a sarcastic two word reply.

    There's no point in continuing this since you obviously think your actions have no consequences. It's equally obvious that I'm not the only one here who thinks you're a tool for street racing and defending what you did.
    Technically, he wasn't racing (since it takes two to race). He was just speeding.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    14
    I respectfully disagree, he was street racing. He tried to egg the Ferrari driver on. Just because the other guy rightly decided not to participate doesn't change what he did and what it was.

    I would bet that a cop, having witnessed the event as the OP described, would have nailed him for contest of speed, speeding, and reckless driving.

    BTW, nice car. Stock WRX w/roof rack here too, and never street raced.

  33. #33
    Auto-x addict
    Reputation: VpointVick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by bpointer
    Well OK you got me there. I guess that is what I literally said. My point was that I was not going to push any farther and go any faster with the bikes on the back. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    The question remains why you were going even as fast as that on a public roadway, especially if the other guy wasn't even racing you?

    You weren't proving anything to anybody.

  34. #34
    Auto-x addict
    Reputation: VpointVick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by prophet413
    bpointer how does it fell to be a ***** on two forums?
    How does it feel to misspell the same four letter word on two forums?

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by TX_Chunks
    I respectfully disagree, he was street racing. He tried to egg the Ferrari driver on. Just because the other guy rightly decided not to participate doesn't change what he did and what it was.

    I would bet that a cop, having witnessed the event as the OP described, would have nailed him for contest of speed, speeding, and reckless driving.

    BTW, nice car. Stock WRX w/roof rack here too, and never street raced.

    What do want man? I was wrong you are right. I have not tried to defend nor justify as you stated in your earlier post the infraction of the speed limit. Every post I have made has been in reply to the sarcasm and disbelief of Vick and Jayem as to the possibility of a Neon being faster than a Ferrari which are the fastest cars in the world apparently because they cost more.

  36. #36
    Auto-x addict
    Reputation: VpointVick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by bpointer
    What do want man? I was wrong you are right. I have not tried to defend nor justify as you stated in your earlier post the infraction of the speed limit. Every post I have made has been in reply to the sarcasm and disbelief of Vick and Jayem as to the possibility of a Neon being faster than a Ferrari which are the fastest cars in the world apparently because they cost more.
    I believe that I said you were a tool. I didn't nessecarily mean that you were one for thinking that you might be able to take him, so much as that you were a tool for trying to get him to. It's made worse by the fact that you pwned him when he showed zero interest in racing you.


    Come back on over to NASIOC. We miss you over there!

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by VpointVick
    I believe that I said you were a tool. I didn't nessecarily mean that you were one for thinking that you might be able to take him, so much as that you were a tool for trying to get him to. It's made worse by the fact that you pwned him when he showed zero interest in racing you.


    Come back on over to NASIOC. We miss you over there!
    Who said that I owned him? I took a hit to see if he would follow. When he didn't make a move I had my fun and I backed off of it again. You are all visualizing in your head what must have happened and you are the ones are making this into some big ricer event. As for me being a tool for trying to get him to race, you can talk your big game all you want but I will not believe that you have some kind of fast car and you have never exceeded the speed limit in it by a sizeable margin. You can deny it all you want, but I'm not buying it. I'm not interested in coming back to NASIOC just to get flamed bunch of guys who I don't think ever even read the original post here either. You guys can continue to flame on me in my absence.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by bpointer
    What do want man? I was wrong you are right. I have not tried to defend nor justify as you stated in your earlier post the infraction of the speed limit. Every post I have made has been in reply to the sarcasm and disbelief of Vick and Jayem as to the possibility of a Neon being faster than a Ferrari which are the fastest cars in the world apparently because they cost more.


    Well, thank you and I apologize for calling you a tool here in this public forum. You finally admitted you were wrong for what you did - that's all I wanted. Just please don't do it again. Lots of people see this forum and even though I don't post much here I felt compelled to call you out on this.

    Seriously, I have a MAJOR problem with street racing. You didn't just reply to Vick and Jayem, you also sarcastically replied to me by quoting my posts twice. While the first one was obvious, I can only assume that "Thanks Mom" is sarcastic since I'm clearly not your mother.

    As for how fast your car is, I never touched that. I'm sure it's fast, but I think anyone should demonstrate that only on a track while taking all necessary and reasonable safety precautions. Yeah, I like to drive fast too but there's a time and a place.

  39. #39
    Auto-x addict
    Reputation: VpointVick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by bpointer
    I'm not interested in coming back to NASIOC just to get flamed bunch of guys who I don't think ever even read the original post here either. You guys can continue to flame on me in my absence.
    But we've got highly relevent points of conversation going on over there.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmerx141 View Post
    do SRT4s turn you into a douche bag or do you have to be one to make the purchase?

  40. #40
    thecentralscrutinizer
    Reputation: mopartodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,790
    First off, let me say that street racing is for idiots.

    Second, the SRT-4 runs out of gear before that Ferrari does. It's a Neon, not a Viper.

    Third, the person in the Ferrari was probably thinking it wasn't worth their while to run you hard, considering the car is over 20 years old and worth a big pile of money.


    SO what stage is your car?? 2, or 3?
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by TX_Chunks


    Well, thank you and I apologize for calling you a tool here in this public forum. You finally admitted you were wrong for what you did - that's all I wanted. Just please don't do it again. Lots of people see this forum and even though I don't post much here I felt compelled to call you out on this.

    Seriously, I have a MAJOR problem with street racing. You didn't just reply to Vick and Jayem, you also sarcastically replied to me by quoting my posts twice. While the first one was obvious, I can only assume that "Thanks Mom" is sarcastic since I'm clearly not your mother.

    As for how fast your car is, I never touched that. I'm sure it's fast, but I think anyone should demonstrate that only on a track while taking all necessary and reasonable safety precautions. Yeah, I like to drive fast too but there's a time and a place.
    I agree with you about street racing however you must admit that there is a marked difference between making a run from 60 to 100 or so on an empty freeway and actually drag racing between stop lights on city streets. Hell, isn't it legal in Montana to go 100 on the freeways?

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by VpointVick
    But we've got highly relevent points of conversation going on over there.


    Yeah, you guys are pretty rugged over there. Truth be told, I got pissy in my post over there because I thought that you were Jayem. I didn't realize until this morning that you were not.

  43. #43
    Auto-x addict
    Reputation: VpointVick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by bpointer
    I agree with you about street racing however you must admit that there is a marked difference between making a run from 60 to 100 or so on an empty freeway and actually drag racing between stop lights on city streets. Hell, isn't it legal in Montana to go 100 on the freeways?
    No.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd
    First off, let me say that street racing is for idiots.

    Second, the SRT-4 runs out of gear before that Ferrari does. It's a Neon, not a Viper.

    Third, the person in the Ferrari was probably thinking it wasn't worth their while to run you hard, considering the car is over 20 years old and worth a big pile of money.


    SO what stage is your car?? 2, or 3?

    The car has stage 3 components as far as sensors, injectors, pump, PCM etc, with a Garrett 57 trim turbo.

    I don't argue that the Ferrari has a higher top speed due to a taller ratio either. I argue that he would never have a chance to use it as no race lasts forever and he would have far too much ground to cover.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by VpointVick
    No.
    Eh, you're right. I guess the urban legend lasted longer than the reasonable and prudent speed law did.

  46. #46
    thecentralscrutinizer
    Reputation: mopartodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,790
    Quote Originally Posted by bpointer
    The car has stage 3 components as far as sensors, injectors, pump, PCM etc, with a Garrett 57 trim turbo.

    I don't argue that the Ferrari has a higher top speed due to a taller ratio either. I argue that he would never have a chance to use it as no race lasts forever and he would have far too much ground to cover.
    Agreed, short distances you take it. I really don't think that it would be that far behind though. The Testorrosa ran in the 12's with a 180 mph + top end speed compared to the SRT-4's 148 mph. If you look at the number for the ferrari, you gotta wonder if they were under-rating the HP.

    Truth be told, your car is a stoplight terror, the Ferrari, an 1980's autoban missle. Both cars are bada$$, IMO.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29

  47. #47
    Auto-x addict
    Reputation: VpointVick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by bpointer
    Yeah, you guys are pretty rugged over there. Truth be told, I got pissy in my post over there because I thought that you were Jayem. I didn't realize until this morning that you were not.
    You sure managed to get the natives fired up!

  48. #48
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,457
    I love people that have something to prove with their cars. Dick-wagging, as it is.

    PS- Modded Audi with 23 psi of OVERboost (not normal boost) and close to 300hp and I still got nailed about ten years ago by a normally aspirated RX7 once the RPM's and speeds got high. Those things have incredible breathing ability.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by bpointer
    ...however you must admit that there is a marked difference between making a run from 60 to 100 or so on an empty freeway and actually drag racing between stop lights on city streets.
    A difference? Yes. A marked difference would be between either of those situations and doing the same under controlled conditions on a track. There are just too many variables on a public road (people you don't see, animals, road debris, etc.). Check out this guy to see what I mean. It's pretty gruesome. And I'm not saying you would make the same mistake but I'm reasonably sure he didn't expect that to happen.

  50. #50
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,674
    Quote Originally Posted by TX_Chunks
    BTW, nice car. Stock WRX w/roof rack here too, and never street raced.
    Mine? Thanks. Is yours a wagon too, or a sedan? I'm still getting a huge kick out of driving mine.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Mine? Thanks. Is yours a wagon too, or a sedan? I'm still getting a huge kick out of driving mine.
    Yes, yours. Mine is a silver 2005 wagon. It just makes more sense as a bike car.

  52. #52
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,674
    Quote Originally Posted by TX_Chunks
    A difference? Yes. A marked difference would be between either of those situations and doing the same under controlled conditions on a track. There are just too many variables on a public road (people you don't see, animals, road debris, etc.). Check out this guy to see what I mean. It's pretty gruesome. And I'm not saying you would make the same mistake but I'm reasonably sure he didn't expect that to happen.
    Sick!

  53. #53
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,674
    Quote Originally Posted by TX_Chunks
    Yes, yours. Mine is a silver 2005 wagon. It just makes more sense as a bike car.
    I'm not big on the appearance of the Subaru sedans but I really like the wagons.

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    181
    ..and at the end of the day... it's still a 'effin neon....

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by nynx
    ..and at the end of the day... it's still a 'effin neon....
    Good one. If you hadn't enlightened me with this wisdom, I may have never known.

    See the thing that you guys that just want to act like pricks don't understand is, that is part of the allure of building these cars like this. I have taken a 4 cylinder Neon and built it up to be able to run faster than most Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes and even a lot of Ferraris, on the road. I have done all of this for a total less than $17,000. I had a guy in a fox body 5 liter mustang laughing at my car in the staging lanes at Norwalk raceway park last summer because he said the slicks were on the wrong end of the car. After he ran a 12.9 at around 105mph to my 11.7 at around 120, he was suddenly interested in what was done to the car to make it such an 'effin fast neon.

    It's not all about how much you spend to buy your car. It's about making people make statements like "Well it's still an 'effin neon" because it's the best thing they can come up with when there car that cost twice as much and is supposed to be a performance car couldn't get around it.

  56. #56
    thecentralscrutinizer
    Reputation: mopartodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,790
    Quote Originally Posted by bpointer
    Good one. If you hadn't enlightened me with this wisdom, I may have never known.

    See the thing that you guys that just want to act like pricks don't understand is, that is part of the allure of building these cars like this. I have taken a 4 cylinder Neon and built it up to be able to run faster than most Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes and even a lot of Ferraris, on the road. I have done all of this for a total less than $17,000. I had a guy in a fox body 5 liter mustang laughing at my car in the staging lanes at Norwalk raceway park last summer because he said the slicks were on the wrong end of the car. After he ran a 12.9 at around 105mph to my 11.7 at around 120, he was suddenly interested in what was done to the car to make it such an 'effin fast neon.

    It's not all about how much you spend to buy your car. It's about making people make statements like "Well it's still an 'effin neon" because it's the best thing they can come up with when there car that cost twice as much and is supposed to be a performance car couldn't get around it.
    I think the biggest thing you're running into here is that this isn't a car forum. Bragging about your car at MTBR.com isn't like doing it at dodgetalk.com or turbododge.com. Most people here, I believe, look at a car as a necessity rather than a form a recreation and enjoyment. Which is cool too.

    Anyway, be careful in that car, and on your bike.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29

  57. #57
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,674
    Quote Originally Posted by bpointer
    Good one. If you hadn't enlightened me with this wisdom, I may have never known.

    See the thing that you guys that just want to act like pricks don't understand is, that is part of the allure of building these cars like this. I have taken a 4 cylinder Neon and built it up to be able to run faster than most Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes and even a lot of Ferraris, on the road. I have done all of this for a total less than $17,000. I had a guy in a fox body 5 liter mustang laughing at my car in the staging lanes at Norwalk raceway park last summer because he said the slicks were on the wrong end of the car. After he ran a 12.9 at around 105mph to my 11.7 at around 120, he was suddenly interested in what was done to the car to make it such an 'effin fast neon.

    It's not all about how much you spend to buy your car. It's about making people make statements like "Well it's still an 'effin neon" because it's the best thing they can come up with when there car that cost twice as much and is supposed to be a performance car couldn't get around it.
    The part that escapes you is that not everyone is out to prove something with his car. A lot of people who own a performance car will never take it to the track, strip, or cruise around at night looking for a street race. They enjoy the car, a finely-crafted machine, for it's own sake.

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    The part that escapes you is that not everyone is out to prove something with his car. A lot of people who own a performance car will never take it to the track, strip, or cruise around at night looking for a street race. They enjoy the car, a finely-crafted machine, for it's own sake.
    It doesn't escape me at all. I understand that not everyone who buy the cars is going to run 100mph with their hair on fire but a man who owns a performance car and says that he has never stood on it and wrung it out on the road somewhere is like a man who says he has never masturbated. He can say it all he wants but it doesn't make it true.

    It is neither here nor there though. As mopartodd stated, this is a mountain bike forum and we should be talking about that and not having theoretical discussions as to the motives of performance car buyers.

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd
    I think the biggest thing you're running into here is that this isn't a car forum. Bragging about your car at MTBR.com isn't like doing it at dodgetalk.com or turbododge.com. Most people here, I believe, look at a car as a necessity rather than a form a recreation and enjoyment. Which is cool too.

    Anyway, be careful in that car, and on your bike.

    Todd, I'm not bragging at all. I made one cocky comment at the beginning of the thread about the owner of the other car and everyone jumps all over me and took their skeptical attitudes to which I have just replied. I appreciate your stance and it would seem that you may be able to attest that running down the side of fast downhill is much the same kind of rush that you get from crossing through the traps at a high rate of speed though. It may be something that many guys here would enjoy as well.

  60. #60
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,674
    Quote Originally Posted by bpointer
    It doesn't escape me at all. I understand that not everyone who buy the cars is going to run 100mph with their hair on fire but a man who owns a performance car and says that he has never stood on it and wrung it out on the road somewhere is like a man who says he has never masturbated. He can say it all he wants but it doesn't make it true.

    It is neither here nor there though. As mopartodd stated, this is a mountain bike forum and we should be talking about that and not having theoretical discussions as to the motives of performance car buyers.
    As this is the Car & Biker forum it is about cars, so mopartodd will just have to put up with us.

    Like masturbation, a man who wrings his car out on the road is doing it alone for his own sake. It's not to puff his chest up to anyone who rolls up next to him on the road.

    Out of curiosity, would you rather have your Neon than a Ferrari, Porsche or some other sort of exotica if you could afford it?

  61. #61
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,457
    Amazing people still drive recklessly on the roads like this and are proud of it.

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    As this is the Car & Biker forum it is about cars, so mopartodd will just have to put up with us.

    Like masturbation, a man who wrings his car out on the road is doing it alone for his own sake. It's not to puff his chest up to anyone who rolls up next to him on the road.

    Out of curiosity, would you rather have your Neon than a Ferrari, Porsche or some other sort of exotica if you could afford it?
    Some of that would depend on what your definition of afford is. If it means that money is no object, then yes I would probably like to have an exotic. It wouldn't be a 20 year old Testarossa by any means though. I would still enjoy tuning small displacement turbo rigs too though.

  63. #63
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,674
    Quote Originally Posted by bpointer
    Some of that would depend on what your definition of afford is. If it means that money is no object, then yes I would probably like to have an exotic. It wouldn't be a 20 year old Testarossa by any means though. I would still enjoy tuning small displacement turbo rigs too though.
    I would too, even if a $17K car were faster. I guess that's the point I was trying to make. Sometimes we buy something just because we like it, not because of how it compares to something else. For instance, I've taken a liking to old, air-cooled Porsches. They're not the fastest things on the road but they have appeal.

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nagatahawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,188
    you guys are very entertaining. Never thought i would see so much flaming in this forum. you should to to rctech.com for flaiming. rc cars that is.

    I don't get much of a rise out of egging on exotic cars. nor do I care to own one. I do want another mt. bike and another car to better transport it. I have a Giant NRS that I am in the process of getting a Foes 6 inch travel frame. I have a BMW 325 I with a Thule roof rack. I hope to trade this in for a 2008 WRX 5 door. or at the least a Speed 3. probably will end up with a Matrix. lol.

  65. #65
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,930
    Quote Originally Posted by bpointer
    28 pounds of boost fail? That's witty what forum did that learn that kind of talk on? Very original but next time throw in some of those clever abbreviations like DIAF or something like that. Forum groupies love that stuff.

    I'm not endorsing street racing there champ. In fact, I stated in my first post that I normally don't engage in this type of activity but it is not often that your are presented with a situation like I found myself in. Oh and I'm not trying to justify a damn thing. I couldn't care any less if you approve of my actions.

    FAIL! We won't care less when you lose your drivers license, either, which you clearly deserve.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.