RV or Trailer rental recommendations for a Road Trip!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

RV or Trailer rental recommendations for a Road Trip!

Me and a bro are going to be doing a 2+ week road trip this summer in Colorado. We'll be heading out from Irvine, CA and looking at 2-3,000 miles of driving. I've done two road trips before to Oregon in my '05 Taco and we need more space for all of our camping gear and extra bikes!

I'm thinking I've got two options: Rent a trailer (either box or a light camper) or ditch the taco and rent an RV.

What do you think would be best and are the pros/cons of each? Decisions decisions!

Has anyone rented an RV for a road trip? What should I look for (and watch out for!)

FYI the taco has the tow package and a tow rating of 6500lbs, but I suspect it would only decently pull a trailer half that since it has a V6.

Head First
    How about a Thule xsporter and some velo vise racks? You can carry a bunch of stuff on the rack and it leaves the bed open to sleep in or for more bikes and gear. I imagine it would probably be cheaper than renting an rv, plus you keep the gear after the road trip.
    I've done 3 trips of around 4,000 miles through some crazy condtions and the xsporter has served me well.

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by tribune

FYI the taco has the tow package and a tow rating of 6500lbs, but I suspect it would only decently pull a trailer half that since it has a V6.
    Yeah, my Cherokee has a tow rating of 5,000 lbs, and I hope to never get close to that. I've got a little pop up trailer (1400lbs) and between that, bikes, food, gear, and the wife and kid, It's as much as I want tow here in the mountains of Colorado, and at that I don't take it everywhere. It doesn't make much difference at low speeds, but 65mph is the top of my comfort level on the flats.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    RV's are expensive to rent plus they end up not having all that much space for bikes unless you have a rack for it, dig into a bit and I think the trailer option will be the one that makes sense.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Bring less stuff it just become a burden on long trips.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dadat40
    I would normally agree with you but since I'm going to be a few thousand miles from home, I need to bring an extra bike, extra tools, parts, etc so that my trip doesn't fall short! I want to ride almost every day, and running around for a truing stand or a spare set of wheels is a waste of a day. I did that on my last road trip to Oregon

Old Punk Hucker
    Quote Originally Posted by dadat40
    Agreed.

I wanted to rent an RV/Van/Truck for last summer's 1 month road trip (Montreal to Moab and back) but when I checked the prices it quickly got too expensive. So I decided to buy a Toyota Matrix and build my own "inside-the-car" rack. I've been using this system all summer on the trip and we could fit 2 bikes/riders, camping gear, clothes, an electric cooler, repair and truing stand and some fire wood all inside the car. I finally think there are better options than an RV!

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    a quick look at Rent RVAmerica or something like that puts the cost at least $2500 for an RV, also they aint exactly high clearance for getting back to any dirt road trailheads. it is a damn fine way to travel though if your not the driver.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil
    Agreed.

I wanted to rent an RV/Van/Truck for last summer's 1 month road trip (Montreal to Moab and back) but when I checked the prices it quickly got too expensive. So I decided to buy a Toyota Matrix and build my own "inside-the-car" rack. I've been using this system all summer on the trip and we could fit 2 bikes/riders, camping gear, clothes, an electric cooler, repair and truing stand and some fire wood all inside the car. I finally think there are better options than an RV!
    Any pics?

I agree an RV is a damn hell expensive option. Plus extra gas, insurance, etc.

Right now I'm leaning towards a comfortable high-clearance 4-door 4x4 with a some sort of a lightweight cargo or toy-hauler trailer. With that in mind, I've been meaning to trade my Toyota Tacoma 4x2 prerunner extra cab for a 4x4 4-door TRD.

Here's a photo of my last Oregon 4th of July Trip (photo taken in the Norcal redwoods). The rack setup was adequate for up to 3 bikes, however, bed cargo access was difficult and the mounts were unstable and I would not consider taking the bikes on a bumpy road. In fact, one of the yakima mounts unbolted while driving over a speed bump on the first day of the trip and scratched/dented the hell out of my passenger side fender and almost destroyed by friend's Fox fork.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I would normally agree with you but since I'm going to be a few thousand miles from home, I need to bring an extra bike, extra tools, parts, etc so that my trip doesn't fall short! I want to ride almost every day, and running around for a truing stand or a spare set of wheels is a waste of a day. I did that on my last road trip to Oregon
    very true it is a bummer when you have problems like that , extra wheels are so nice to have along . the worst issue I have had is lost shock pump but ran into someone and used his.

jrm
    mtbr member

I think..

If you guys can rent a minivan with unlimited mileage, remove the seats, you could sleep and store everything in that.

mtbr member
    buy a hitch rack like the T2, Hook Up, Fullswing 4 or Revolver...keep the bikes outside the bed.

The Hook up is being replaced so you'll get a good deal on one if you look around. The swing away racks can also be used as a workstand so you don't have to bring one of those and it won't affect your gas mileage as much as towing a trailer. the rv and trailer are expensive and you have nothing to show for it when you're done.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    If you guys can rent a minivan with unlimited mileage, remove the seats, you could sleep and store everything in that.
    This is excellent advice for anyone in college! Cheap and functional

Old Punk Hucker
    Any pics?
    I've been promising pics for a while on multiple threads. I gotta get a hand on a digital camera. I'm going to a concert next week with a friend which has one I'll ask him to bring it with him and I'll post them afterwards.
    Beware the hucking bear!

mtbr member

Small car & motels

I did some quick caluculations and figure an RV getting 10 mpg over 3000 miles would cost over $1000 in gas plus rental costs, not to mention the pain of driving such a beast.

I've driven enough trailered vehicles to know they are not my first, second or, hell, my last choice and would not like driving the Rockies in a whale (RV). If nothing else, you will certainly piss off the hundreds of cars stuck behind you as you climb at a whopping 20 mph.

Just a thought, but is it possible to put the bikes on the roof of a car that gets around 30 mpg and stay in cheap motels?

After camping all over the US in all season, I long ago reverted to dry beds, flush toilets and economical cars.

Again, I'm just throwing out an idea you may not have considered.

Old Punk Hucker
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil
    I've been promising pics for a while on multiple threads. I gotta get a hand on a digital camera. I'm going to a concert next week with a friend which has one I'll ask him to bring it with him and I'll post them afterwards.
    There you go!
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=375008
    Beware the hucking bear!

Members who have read this thread: 0