roof top boxes- Mtbr.com

Thread: roof top boxes

mtbr member

roof top boxes

Any one with a roof top box? I just got a 08 subaru forester and i need to make some more space for stuff. I want a box that i will leave room for 2 bikes on the roof. I waent to REI today but all the boxes thay had were huge thay would take up the hole roof.

Austin, Texas
    Jul 2007
    I have a Yakima Space Booster with two bike trays on 48" poles. Tight, but works. The box is one of the smallest (if not THE smallest) but when you get it on your car it looks huge and holds a lot. I got it at REI and used my 20% off member discount few years back. In fact, they are having that sale right now and it's a good deal for large ticket items like boxes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser
    Any one with a roof top box? I just got a 08 subaru forester and i need to make some more space for stuff. I want a box that i will leave room for 2 bikes on the roof. I waent to REI today but all the boxes thay had were huge thay would take up the hole roof.
    My long one can have bikes on each side, but my friend's wide and short one can hold his bike - different strokes for different folks. I'm not sure his will hold skis.

My advice is don't get a cheapie department store type. My bro in law got his belongings trashed on a long trip with a cheap one. I'm not sure if my Yakima is still made, but it has lasted for about 10 years and is still fine.

Have fun shopping.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger
    My long one can have bikes on each side, but my friend's wide and short one can hold his bike - different strokes for different folks. I'm not sure his will hold skis.

My advice is don't get a cheapie department store type. My bro in law got his belongings trashed on a long trip with a cheap one. I'm not sure if my Yakima is still made, but it has lasted for about 10 years and is still fine.

Have fun shopping.

Im definetly not going to get a cheep one. Im looking at yak and thule boxes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grungePoodle
    I have a Yakima Space Booster with two bike trays on 48" poles. Tight, but works. The box is one of the smallest (if not THE smallest) but when you get it on your car it looks huge and holds a lot. I got it at REI and used my 20% off member discount few years back. In fact, they are having that sale right now and it's a good deal for large ticket items like boxes.

I was looking at one of them. But the only ones REI had were the big ones. It looks like 22in is the narowest one i can get. Im kind of pissed thay only make them really long. Why cant thay nake a 22in box thats shorter.

...from parts unknown
    Sep 2006
    Replace your factory crossbars with Thule or Yakima adaptors and bars. You can go up to a 78" (Thule) or 76" (Yakima) bar if you like (watch your head!!). When necessary, I use Thule 78" bars with Thule Crossroad on my Outback (factory raised rails). I can put two canoes side by side on the 78's. Using the 65" bars I can use my older Thule Evolution 1800 box and still have room for bikes. I am a paddlesports, bike, and snowsports retailer, and as far as I am concerned factory crossbars are crap (too short and too flexy). Toss 'em and replace 'em with aftermarket. Aftermarket bars are stiffer and offer length options. I get a fair number of referrals from my cousin who is a Subaru/Volvo/Hyundai dealer for customers looking for better rack and accessory options than those which come with the vehicle.

mtbr member
    Any one know how mutch thay kill your gas millege?

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser
    Any one know how mutch thay kill your gas millege?
    In my research on the effect of cargo boxes on the roof, people commonly see about 2 MPG drop, but it can vary quite a bit. Some people even get improved MPG if the box helps the aerodynamics.

In general, for good mileage you want to get the box as far back as possible on the roof, inside the slip stream from the front. I got a shorter Yakima SkyBoxPro16 for my long Taurus X and mounted it toward the rear. So far, I can't see any drop in highway mileage - it stays around 25 MPG either way as far as I can tell.

However, other things that I've found have a major effect on mileage:
    • Excess speed (mileage drops like crazy as you go above 65 MPH)
    • Bike racks (even a rear hitch rack has drag from the tires sticking out, and four bike racks are no longer tucked nicely close behind the car)
    • Heavy Loads, which affects aerodynamics as well as uphill power requirements.

Driving with a very heavy load of four guys and their bikes from CA to Moab, my highway mileage dropped from 25 to 18.5 MPG. However, I don't think the cargo box had much to do with it. The drop in mileage was mostly from going 80 MPH versus 65 MPH, the four bike rack dragging in the slip stream, the heavy load on the rear tilting the front of the car up at a non optimal angle, and then maybe the cargo box a little.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry
    In my research on the effect of cargo boxes on the roof, people commonly see about 2 MPG drop, but it can vary quite a bit. Some people even get improved MPG if the box helps the aerodynamics.

In general, for good mileage you want to get the box as far back as possible on the roof, inside the slip stream from the front. I got a shorter Yakima SkyBoxPro16 for my long Taurus X and mounted it toward the rear. So far, I can't see any drop in highway mileage - it stays around 25 MPG either way as far as I can tell.

However, other things that I've found have a major effect on mileage:
    • Excess speed (mileage drops like crazy as you go above 65 MPH)
    • Bike racks (even a rear hitch rack has drag from the tires sticking out, and four bike racks are no longer tucked nicely close behind the car)
    • Heavy Loads, which affects aerodynamics as well as uphill power requirements.

Driving with a very heavy load of four guys and their bikes from CA to Moab, my highway mileage dropped from 25 to 18.5 MPG. However, I don't think the cargo box had much to do with it. The drop in mileage was mostly from going 80 MPH versus 65 MPH, the four bike rack dragging in the slip stream, the heavy load on the rear tilting the front of the car up at a non optimal angle, and then maybe the cargo box a little.
    Cool thanx im looking a thule box its a little long but narow . I pushed the rack back but i can go back more. I just have to check and see if the box would hit my rear hatch.

fried stuff with cheese
    I have an old (10+?) year old Yakima Space Booster that was their cheapest box at the time. It is still working solid. Never had any water get in it or anything.
    When we got our Pathfinder we found that there wasn't any hardware to mount the Yak box to the bigger factory cross bars so I went out and bought a Thule Evolution 1200. It's about 4 years old now and I've had to replace both hinges. Just recently on a road trip from NH to OH (Ray's) the box froze up and wouldn't open. Basically the insides that allow the thing to open in either direction had fouled up somehow. We finally forced it open and was forced to break off one of the three hinge points just to allow us to use it. It's been on my garage floor ever since. I bought this thing about 3 months before they started their lifetime warranty deal. I've been meaning to call and see if I can get the parts to fix it but I haven't had the time.
    Egg

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I love my Thule Evolution 1600.

I have 3 78" Thule bars w/ quick disconnect Tracker IIs as my base roof rack system on my Excursion. With 4 bikes on the roof (and 4 more on a hitch mount bike rack -- Thule of course), the box holds 4 front wheels (29ers included), camelbaks, helmets, AK-32 tool box, pump, and anything else bike related. This leaves the inside cargo area for camping gear. Perfect organization for MTB getaways to the mountains with friends or family.

When I'm hauling SOT kayaks (singles on each side with J-saddles or my tandem), the box holds accessories like seats, paddles, PFDs, fishing poles, tackle box, etc. Keeps the wet stuff contained.

You can't go wrong with either Thule or Yakima boxes. I preferred the square profile of the Thule bars when deciding on a rack system 8 years ago and bought all Thule accessories to carry them toys

Cheers from FL - Hans
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0