Roof racks: Which tray for mountain and road bikes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Roof racks: Which tray for mountain and road bikes?

I'm looking at Yakima roof racks for my '95 BMW 525i, and settled on Q-Towers, 48" Crossbars, and a fairing. What I'm not sure on is what I want as far as bike mounts.

I have my Rocky Mountain Element, a 2001 GT Aggressor 2.0, and I will be purchasing some sort of ~$1200ish aluminum road bike. The road bike is throwing me off, as I'm not sure what mount is good for it.

I like the mounts where the bike stands up on two wheels. The King Cobra (http://www.yakima.com/Product.aspx?id=13) is the one I like, because it locks the frame. Think this will work with skinny road tires as well as the 2.1s?

Any rack advice? I haven't even looked at Thule, not sure why. I'm not going used, at least on the Q-towers, because Yakima just redesigned them. Also not sure why I like the two-wheeled mounts more than the fork mounts, not sure what's better...

Auto-x addict
    I use Sportworks Bob Ratchets for both MTB and road, and if I had to buy new mounts today, I'd buy the Thule version.

Very quick to load and unload, easy to use, and very stable.

Drunken fool
    I have been using a Yakima Lockjaw for about 15 years now. It has been on 3 different cars and is still performing great. I use it to haul both AL and steel framed MTN and road bikes. The jaws are rubber padded and adjust for different tube diameters. I have never had issues with bikes coming loose etc even when we have taken multi hour road trips to bike. I would not hesitate to buy it again. I'm surprised that it is still in such good shape for a rack that old that has spent it's whole life outside mounted on a car and has hauled bikes tens of thousands of miles

Auto-x addict
    I used a Lockjaw for a couple of years and, probably due to the shape of the downtube on my hardtail, some thin spots wore on the rubber jaws and wore through the paint in four spots. I won't use any rack that touches my frame any more.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Ordered the Yakima Q-Towers and two King Cobras.

Members who have read this thread: 0