Roof rack theft.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Roof rack theft.

I already posted a topic laying out the theft of my roof rack sometime Friday/Saturday. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=246359

I am going down to REI to purchase new sprocketrocket rails and am curious to know how many of you leave your bike rails on their rack? Now I'm afraid it's just going to get stolen again if I don't take them off everytime

neutiquam erro
    Wow, and it was all (towers, sprocket) locked on w/ SKS? That's a new one... Sorry for your loss; that definitely sux! I understand that SKS is nothing cosmic or uber-tough as far as locks go, but I always just figured they'd be enough of a PITA deterent to most thieves. Apparently not...

Cheers, Chris

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris130
    Wow, and it was all (towers, sprocket) locked on w/ SKS? That's a new one... Sorry for your loss; that definitely sux! I understand that SKS is nothing cosmic or uber-tough as far as locks go, but I always just figured they'd be enough of a PITA deterent to most thieves. Apparently not...

Cheers, Chris
    Yep, I had SKS all around. 4 for the Control towers and two for the sprocket rockets. Taking a closer look I realize how they did it. They took a large drill bit to the SKS cores. Where the SKS cores insert into the towers it has been reamed out, probably why they didn't bother to take the towers too.

Derailleurless
    Wow, that sucks big time.

In reality, the built-in SKS lock cores don't do much. Very easy to defeat with a flat blade screwdriver.

If you're going to go through the hassle of removing your rack when it's not in use, go with a hitch rack.

Up in the bay area, I've not had a problem with my roof rack, and my cross bars have no locks. I can think of a bunch of ways of damaging the threads or heads of the fasteners that clamp the towers to the vehicle, but that would seriously inconvenience me whenever I wanted to reposition or remove the rack.

Maybe safety wire? Again, easily defeatable.

Hopefully the a-hole who stole your setup wanted it for personal use (and not to re-sell), and this was just a one time occurance. However, are you willing to take that gamble?
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    If you're going to go through the hassle of removing your rack when it's not in use, go with a hitch rack.
    Exactly why I didn't go with a hitch rack. I live in an apt and hate clutter/having to store things.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    Wow, that sucks big time.

In reality, the built-in SKS lock cores don't do much. Very easy to defeat with a flat blade screwdriver.

Up in the bay area, I've not had a problem with my roof rack, and my cross bars have no locks. I can think of a bunch of ways of damaging the threads or heads of the fasteners that clamp the towers to the vehicle, but that would seriously inconvenience me whenever I wanted to reposition or remove the rack.

Maybe safety wire? Again, easily defeatable.

Hopefully the a-hole who stole your setup wanted it for personal use (and not to re-sell), and this was just a one time occurance. However, are you willing to take that gamble?
    Weld 'em on!
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    That sucks, Foolish! Sorry to hear about your loss.

I'm kinda worried about the same thing... I have a Yakima Raptor on with Mighty Mounts. I can lock the bike to the Raptor, but it actually takes me more time to get the bike off than it does to unscrew the Mounts!
    Hi!
    Style: Mid-Atlantic roots, rocks, & poison ivy

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I am probably going with tamper-proof bolts this time around. All depending on price, but here is an example http://www.brycefastener.com/keyrex.htm

mtbr member
    those are neet, Foolish.

I wouldn't be suprised if a Gator Grip (http://gator-grip.com/) could take em off if they're large enough, though.
    Hi!
    Style: Mid-Atlantic roots, rocks, & poison ivy

Members who have read this thread: 0