Roof rack system- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Roof rack system

What is the best top of car rack system for hauling your bike? I just got a new Ibis Mojo and need a top mounting rack to carry the bike. Any suggestions? My car has a oem rack at the moment but I still need to purchase something to work with the existing rack, Thanks.

code: mtbr2011
    you can look at all of these mounts that will work on your existing crossbars.

http://www.cracksandracks.com/bike-r...-c-78_138.html

if you want an upright, i would recommend the thule sidearm....if you want to fork mount, i would suggest the yakima forklift. or the rocky mounts tierod.
    remember....2 bikes max on factory crossbars.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Yakima Highroller

I'm personally a strong believer in rack systems that keep the front tire on. I want to get to the trailhead, take down the bike, and ride it. When I'm finished, I want to throw it back up there and go. It's handy, quick, and removes the need for various post-purchase parts and pieces depending on your axle size, or your friends axle size, when you have to remove and fork-mount, then deal with where to put the front tire. Also, a rack type that does not touch the frame of the bike makes me happy. If the rack is holding the two tires instead of the frame, it doesn't matter the placement, size or style of the downtube whatsoever. I have had problems with former racks which did not fit oddly placed or sized downtubes.

I too have my order in for one of the slick new Mojos and think the carbon will be happiest, as will aluminum really, when not gripped super tight by some clamp which then jerks it around as the car moves. Maybe just my prejudice but it makes sense to me.

All this said, my dollars strongly vote for the Yakima Highroller. Some may argue that tire mount style racks tweak the wheels, but I haven't found this at all in the two years I've had this set-up hauling my carbon road bike and my mountain bike. On top of my trucks topper, using a little scaffolding-ladder type thing from Lowe's to stand on to deal, they're locked and safe from folks backing into them. My life thankfully has very few low overhead buildings where I need to remove them to enter or worry about forgetting them and (gasp...don't even say it...)

Just my two cents.
    J

Members who have read this thread: 0