Roof Rack suggestions for factory bars on 2005 Subaru Forester- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Roof Rack suggestions for factory bars on 2005 Subaru Forester

Just got an 05 Subaru Forester and looking for trays for two XC bikes w/disc brakes. I'm not sure if I want a fork mount or not. It'd would be cool if I could lock the bikes, but it's not necessary. I want something that isn't loud when I'm not using it. And I want to be able to mount the trays on the factory bars.

What are my best options?

newless cluebie
    Sep 2009
    I have two older Thule Velo Vise forkmount trays that were able to mount to the factory crossbars on my Pathfinder as well as Thule rectangular bars.. and the Yakima round bars on my Lexus IS350. I don't think Thule makes them anymore, but I do see them on sale at Amazon. The closest I've found now is the Yakima ForkLift tray. Its supposed to fit factory crossbars.

mtbr member
    I believe Rocky Mount also makes fork-mount carriers for the factory style cross bars.

Did you price out the carriers sold through Subaru? I purchased the carriers for my Rabbit through VW. They ended up being Thule carriers and were actually about $20 cheaper than anywhere else.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234567
    Just got an 05 Subaru Forester and looking for trays for two XC bikes w/disc brakes. I'm not sure if I want a fork mount or not. It'd would be cool if I could lock the bikes, but it's not necessary. I want something that isn't loud when I'm not using it. And I want to be able to mount the trays on the factory bars.

What are my best options?

Something to consider is... do you really want to ( & can) put your bikes on the roof after a long, tiring ride?

Have you considered getting a hitch installed & getting hitch mounted rack? It costs a lot more, but may be worth the convenience

I am right!
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent
    Something to consider is...
    WANG DANG SWEET POONTANG!

newless cluebie
    Sep 2009
    Not sure if you should be driving if you're so tired you can't lift 20-30lbs onto your roof.

A hitch mount is definitely an option, but a) it's more expensive and b) can be a prickish dealership's grounds to void your drivetrain warranty if you have any issues. I had a U-Haul hitch mounted on an '01 Sebing sedan and my local Chrysler dealer gave me the biggest load of red tape to prove I didn't overload it (I only used a bike hitch rack) and cause premature wear on the brake system. Even though there was a 'service bulletin' on the brake system and I was bringing it in for it. Hell, the dealership didn't even have to pay for any of it, but the tech still tried to blame the hitch.

Since the OP already has factory crossbars, it's just a relatively cheap purchase of compatible trays to start carrying bikes safely.

jrm
    mtbr member

Not to mention

Quote Originally Posted by tednugent
    Something to consider is... do you really want to ( & can) put your bikes on the roof after a long, tiring ride?

Have you considered getting a hitch installed & getting hitch mounted rack? It costs a lot more, but may be worth the convenience
    that their MPGs going to suffer and the wind noise will be loud.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I used the rocky mounts fork mount trays on my 2005 Forester XT. I bought the locks and they fit the factory subie cross-bars nicely. This is a great option!

mtbr member
    Yakima Raptor roof rack works great for me, noise is minimal at highway speeds, easy to load and unload,comes with locks and no need to remove the front wheel. I will say that fuel mileage does suffer a bit but not too bad. I have an 06 subaru outback and it mounted up in about 10 minutes the first time I put it on but can do it much quicker now. I have a hitch mount rack as well but haven't used it since I sold my 05 silverado Z71, it was by far the easiest to load and unload but having to remove the rack after every ride got old.
    The snozberries taste like snozberries!

code: mtbr2011
    i am a big fan of the yakima forklift for attaching up to 2 bikes to the factory crossbars. it's a solid rack, and it has a great skewer. a little costly, but top quality.
    the noose from rocky mounts is a good rack but it's kinda clumsy next to the forklift.

personally, the yakima raptor aero is a good rack, but not beefy enough for a mountain bike...more of your weekend warrior type who likes to ride the bike path 10 minutes from home, but is too afraid to ride in traffic to get there.

adding a hitch to the subaru is costly, and it's not that tall of a car to load a bike.

just my opinion.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com
    i am a big fan of the yakima forklift for attaching up to 2 bikes to the factory crossbars. it's a solid rack, and it has a great skewer. a little costly, but top quality.
    the noose from rocky mounts is a good rack but it's kinda clumsy next to the forklift.

personally, the yakima raptor aero is a good rack, but not beefy enough for a mountain bike...more of your weekend warrior type who likes to ride the bike path 10 minutes from home, but is too afraid to ride in traffic to get there.

adding a hitch to the subaru is costly, and it's not that tall of a car to load a bike.

just my opinion.
    I agree the raptor isn't the beefiest rack out there but have used it for almost 2 years now with my mountain bike, only real issue as far as durabilaty ive had is with the ratchet straps stripping out. The bike seems to be solid on the roof but have noticed when driving on the interstate next to a semi the wind turbulance can shake the bike a bit, but still feel the rack is solid.

I like the fork mount racks but I do quick after work rides a lot and taking the front wheel on and off every time just isn't good for me personally. Anyways Yakima makes a solid rack whatever one you buy IMO.
    The snozberries taste like snozberries!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by vaelin
    A hitch mount is definitely an option, but a) it's more expensive .
    Nope, it's cheaper. The more you drive, the cheaper it becomes relative to the roof rack. If you own your car for a year or two it easily pays for itself. The initial cost is pretty similer, but I'd give a slight edge to a roof-rack setup in that regard, and if you have x-bars then obviously it is a bit cheaper.
    Last edited by Jayem; 02-01-2010 at 08:19 PM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    '04 WRX wagon. $60 for bolt-on receiver hitch, $160 for hitch mount bike rack. Still room for yak on top of car!

mtbr member
    I have a Inno rack on my 06 Forester, works great
    "My legs are my pistons"

Members who have read this thread: 0