Roof rack slided back- Mtbr.com
    Rollin' a fatty Moderator

Upset Roof rack slided back

On Saturday took our DH bikes for a drive, we were set to ride on a trail about 98 miles (one way) away from home. We have also been receiving lots of rain and wind gusts lately on the north so riding on the south west meant dry trails and fun.

During the drive to the trail we encountered wind gusts, can't say the speed but were strong enough so feel the car shake, we carried on and made it to the meeting point.

When I was loading the bikes noticed that the rack (Yakima) had slided towards the back of the car scratching area where the towers engage the car and the back towers were literally being held in place by the doors.

As soon as we arrived I unloaded the bikes, assesed the situation and proceeded to remove the rack but forgot to take pics of how it looked and the cosmetic damage it left on the car.

I've had this setup for almost 3 years with no issues and now I'm wondering if will continue to use it or not.

This is the setup with the same bikes that were on when it slided.

Any suggestions?

ballbuster

Krazy Glue!

Okay, no. Bad idea.

Sorry, I have nothing to add other than sorry to hear this. Is it a tension problem? As in, clips aren't tight enough? Too tight and the clips are flexing?

Can't tell, everything was fine until now.

From now on when I take the heavy bikes will be on the Thule that's on my wife's Explorer.

bi-winning
    slided?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member

if you've had it 3 years...

chances are the rubber pads that sit under the tower and on the car are dirty, sticky and a bit out of shape...replace these, also the clips should have a black vinyl sticker on to give the rack some grip and prevent it from sliding...replace these! Remeasure the 'M' measurements, check Yakimas website, and reinstall...if you took the rack off and put the bars back on in the wrong place or switched the front and rear bar it will not fit properly AND WILL SLIDE BACK especially with tall DHbikes on top in the wind. Should cost you about $20 for the parts and an hour of your time, not bad to save your car and bikes from further damage.

Thanks longman, your comment about the pads is right on; they are dirty and very sticky.

Will try to get the pads and the vinyl stickers from the local dealer, hope they have them.

One question thou, for where the vinyl stickers go? I have them on the clip.

mtbr member
    they go on the 'Q Clip' they need to cover the inside where the clip comes into contact with the car, in this case the little 'hook' shape at the bottom of the clip, they usually come off after a while so check to see. You will need to fold the sticker and get it right into the bottom of the clip then trim any excess so it doesn't flap in the wind or interfere with the door seals.
    You're welcome!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    slided?
    I'm confused as to what that means as well.

I wish I could help, but some problems are hopeless.

since 4/10/2009
    I've had that happen on a cheaper rack (Performance) many years ago. Tightening the clips preventing it from sliding any more, but pad compression pretty much answers it. Glad my new Thule rack has replaceable pads, and I'll be sure to swap them out every couple years to make sure I maintain a good rack fit.

Members who have read this thread: 0