Roof Rack and Rain- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

New question here. Roof Rack and Rain

Hi Everyone,
    This is my first official post but I have been reading the forums for quite some time. I am new to mountain biking and got my first bike this past fall (Gary Fisher Wahoo) so I still have a lot to learn but I am loving every minute of it.

I have a question: Can I have my bike on my roof rack when it is raining? I am heading to upstate NY tomorrow from Long Island and we are supposed to get 3-5 inches of rain by tuesday. It should be about a 4.5 hour drive, but the problem is that I need to leave right from work, which means that my beloved mountain bike would be rained on for 8 hours before I even left. Is this really bad for the bike? I am not sure whether or not I can bring it along on my trip.

Also, it doesn't fit in the car (2008 RAV 4) because of luggage, two dogs, and my wife...

THANKS!!

(I also posted this in the beginners corner. I wasn't sure which forum it should be in...)

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    my schwinn moab sat behind the garage, uncovered for 8 years. i think you'll be fine. as far as the rack itself goes, i leave mine on all summer long. and while i just recently got the bike mount, i usually have a basket on it that doesnt come off all season.

ignore my cousin. it was a camping trip and he was quite intoxicated.

the rack and fairing were 2nd, maybe 3rd hand at this point, and the only rust is on one of the fairing mount bolts. i honestly wouldnt even worry about it.

mtbr member
    I never had a problem with my bike and the rain. Its a mt. bike, it should be able to stand up to the elements!! I drive around in negative temperatures with my trek madone on my roof.

Just drive fast to dry it. I sometimes while the bike and car is parked (if worried) put a bag or cover over the bike to displace some of the rain.

mtbr member
    Since you have a hardtail, your better off that having a full suspension. 65 mph through the pouring rain is practically the equivalent of hitting your bike with a power washer. Unfortunately, water will most likely find it's way into places you don't want it to.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    We have concensus, mountain bikes (good ones) come equipped with sealed bottom brackets,headsets, and wheel bearing hubs. When you get to your various destinations just relube your chain and pivot points on your derailleurs and hit the trails...big and tall

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spastic Zombie
    Absolute bullshoot.

Ignore this guy.

Your bike will be wet.

It will be fine.

I'm only speaking from experience....which I'm guessing you lack. Have you ever driven 4.5 hrs through 3-5 in rain fall? Bottom line is it's not good for the bikes and should be avoided if possible. If you have to do it, you have to do it....I'm simply waring the OP that water may find it's way into places.

mtbr member
    I have driven cross country from Colorado to Philly PA 2 times now with 2 bikes on the roof. I had my Road bike and one of my Mountain bikes. It pored for almost a full day each way. The bikes will be just fine. You will just have to go over them and give every thing some lube when you get were your going.

code: mtbr2011
    the only thing i would be concerned about is if your cables and chain rusting if you don't care for them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JSumner13
    Since you have a hardtail, your better off that having a full suspension. 65 mph through the pouring rain is practically the equivalent of hitting your bike with a power washer. Unfortunately, water will most likely find it's way into places you don't want it to.

Well, I made my trip and it poured most of the way, but the bike seems fine. I lubed everything before I left and checked everything out after I got to my destination.

Since I am pretty new to the sport, what exactly are the places that water might get that I don't want it to? What should I be looking for at this point?

Thanks for all of the replies.

code: mtbr2011
    a simple bike maintenance book or clinic at a lbs could show you the pivot points on the front and rear derailleurs for lubing and also how to clean your cables....learning some basic bike mainentance can help you save alot of money, makes sure your bike rides well, and keeps it in working condtion for a long time, without downtime at the shop.

being able to fix a broken chain...esp. if you are a beginner rider can mean the difference between walking and riding home.
    also, it would be good to learn how to make microadjustments to your derailleur in case your shifting is slipping. you can really tweak these out of whack if you don't know what to do...

a 12 pack of (good) beer at the end of the day can go a long way at your lbs...

All fat, all the time.
    Take out your seat/seatpost & flip the bikes upsidedown....

Highway driving + rain I've had water get into the frame....rather be safe than sorry.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    You will be fine. Have you ever stuck your hand outside while driving in a rain storm? Doesn't hurt a bit. According to some (quick) research I just did, the water coming out of a power washer is traveling over 300mph... so yeah, you'll be fine. As others have said, just relube your chain and pivot points when you get to your destination.

-Adam
    adam michigan karate monkey

Members who have read this thread: 2