Roof rack question / Thule fit kit or Yakima drilled option- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Roof rack question / Thule fit kit or Yakima drilled option

I am buying a 2007 or 2008 Toyota Yaris 3 dr hatchback.

I will be carrying 2 heavy downhill bikes, approximately 45 lbs each.

Thule makes a roof mount system (listed below) for the car which they rate at max weight capacity of 110 lbs. I If I were to place two Thule 594xt sidearms
    (21 pounds each) on there plus two downhill bikes i would be over the weight limit by 20 pounds.

Thule system:
    400XT Aero Foot Pack, LB50 50 Load Bar, Fit Kit KIT2196, Thule Short Roof Adapter 477

Yakima does not make a fit kit for the 2007/2008 Yaris. Instead they send you to a rack dealer who will drill your roof to lay tracks, install control towers and crossbars. I would put yakima highrollers on there. According to the Yakima rep, weight would not be an issue.

Which one of these two setups is preferable? Any other things I am overlooking?

thanks

code: mtbr2011
    the drilled option is stronger. the pull out strength of the tracks is somewhere in the 450lb range. while the thule system, with the sra is as you say, 110 even with the tracks and control towers, you're only going to get 165lb of load capacity. no rack has more, unless it is a commercial application. beyond that weight, you will begin to damage the sheet metal on the roof.

on the same note, installing tracks on the roof is purely sales driven. you don't need the versatility of tracks because of the short roofline. yakima and thule both make applications that are designed to drill fixed points into the roof to attach the towers
    thule uses the 460 podium system with the fit kit 3114
    yakima uses the control tower with landing pad 7.

the installs are easier (less holes) and they look great without the extra $150 in tracks that serve no purpose other than to make you spend more $$$.

Members who have read this thread: 0