Roof Rack Question- Mtbr.com
    person

Roof Rack Question

I'm thinking about getting a Roof rack for my civic. I was looking at Yakima racks, and I was wondering how they mount onto the car. Is there any drilling involved? Another thing is that I was wondering how the roof racks affect fuel economy compared to a hitch or truck rack.

-Thanks, Dave
    My epiglottis is full of bees!

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hey you didn't say what year of Civic. I have a 97 Civic with a Yak rack and it works great. And no drilling required. I don't believe you should have to drill for any of the Civics.

CLM

person
    sorry, that was silly of me, Its a 2000 Coupe. I'm also considering a hitch rack. Has anyone has experience with one on a small car like a civic. I was worried about the rack scraping while going up or down steep hills.

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Had a roof rack on my wifes '01 Civic for years (thule). No problems at all and the gas issue is just about nil.

A trunk rack works fine too, but can make it a pain to get into the trunk when the bike is loaded.

If cost isn't an issue and you'll be using the tow rig for more than just the bike rack that also will work nicely. Will it scrape when going up hills? If you're going on roads the car is designed for then I'd say no.

person
    Thanks for the replies, I'll just have to see which one will work best for me.

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

Members who have read this thread: 0