roof rack QR to 15mm thru, stop me from ruining something- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

roof rack QR to 15mm thru, stop me from ruining something

I couldnt really find any attempts to convert a QR rack to a TA 15mm mount. so i figured i'd post what ive come up with in the hopes of either A- someone pointing out and me realizing its a bad idea. or B-helping someone else out.
    I grabbed a rockymounts euro pitchfork, before i went ahead and ordered the driveshaft adapter i would see what i could come up with. The driveshaft seems to work just fie for some and others absolutely hate it from what ive read so i wasnt to excited about it, or any other adapters really.
    the pitchfork lays out with a 135mm spread, has a locking QR shaft, nice and heavy- you would need to purchase your own lock cyl tho.

I had a few ideas, first was to just drill out the entire rack to 15mm , it probably could have been done without much effort and throw the 15mm axle in it but i wasnt quite ready to tear up brand new mount.
    the locking QR is probably about 10mm in diameter and fit a little loose in the rack. I have some spare hardware and a 3/8" bolt slides very snug through the rack housing.
    outside stanchion to stanchion is about 6" so i grabbed the next side up which was 3/8"x8", couple washers, wing nut, threaded rod coupling, rubber washers, some plastic/nylon? bushings.

another idea i had was to put a threaded rod coupling in the middle of the rack and thread a bolt in from each side to the rack, i couldnt find a thinwall rod coupler though.
    I am still trying to find a cone shaped washer preferably in plastic to use at each stanchion end to center the smaller 3/8 bolt in the 15mm opening. the plastic spacers work perfect for keeping the steel bolt off the threads of the fork.

as soon as i find some cone style washers they will be placed next to the stanchions and old brake caliper fits

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    They do sell adapters just for this.

Thule Thru-Axle Adapter 15mm 53015 - Thule

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    This really makes no sense, your not happy about using an adaptor, yet you pretty much thrash a rack and make this ridiculous mount that takes more pieces, especially those nylon inserts in the drop outs. How is this better than using an adaptor? The adaptors( I speak for the Hurricane, Thule and Yakima mounts) are proven product, your solution is, you first remove the 15mm axle, insert nylon spacersinto the fork dropouts, push a bolt or threaded rod through the fork and rack, then use wing nuts to tighten it all up....its your bike and car...hope it works out for you.

Rent this space for $
    Who, in their right mind, would want to go through this hassle everytime you transport?

Thule SideARM rack...and be done with it! Just my .02

Your Best Friend
    No words.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

> /dev/null 2&>1
    I agree this is way too much trouble. I got two Yakima full upright racks at the REI used gear sale $40 each. Even if you're paying for new, it's still worth it: the process you described could easily take 3-5 min. After a 100 rides, that's 300-500 min. I use my equivalent hourly wage to make such decisions. Whatever you get paid, that's an upright rack right there.

mtbr member
    I just bought a driveshaft 2 months ago to use on my pitchfork rack. Works great on a Rock Shox SID axle. Clamps insanely tight, locks, and is keyed the same as the rest of my rockymounts stuff.

Personally, i wouldn't use that contraption you've come up with.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yea I made some more modifications..... for the record...