Roof Rack options- Mtbr.com
    Your killing my Strava

Roof Rack options

Looking for what i need to get for a roof rack. I have had a hitch carrier for a few years. Looking at all the options all online I have no idea what needs to be bought and how much. Also Thule or Yakima...Which do you recommend?
    We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.

code: mtbr2011
    what kind of car do you have?

mtbr member
    Thule has a pretty good page for going through and selecting your car and getting a list of everything you need. Generally it will suggest a set of somewhat universal pedestals, some adaptors to fit them to your car, then the rails. I just got a Thule rack a couple weeks ago so familiar somewhat with their page, Yak didn't have a setup for my car yet so not so familiar with them.

Your killing my Strava
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com View Post
    what kind of car do you have?
    2011 Volkswagon Jetta

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyl26 View Post
    2011 Volkswagon Jetta
    sedan or wagon?..if wagon, does it have the elevated siderail that runs front to back?

how many bikes do you want to carry? road? mountain?
    are you ok with taking the front wheel off and fork mounting? or would you prefer to keep both wheels on?
    are there other accessories/toys you want to carry on the rack too?
    if so, do any of the seasons overlap?

Your killing my Strava
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com View Post
    sedan or wagon?..if wagon, does it have the elevated siderail that runs front to back?

how many bikes do you want to carry? road? mountain?
    are you ok with taking the front wheel off and fork mounting? or would you prefer to keep both wheels on?
    are there other accessories/toys you want to carry on the rack too?
    if so, do any of the seasons overlap?
    Sorry, yes it is a sedan. I want to be able to carry 2 bikes. only Mt Bikes. I have 3 bikes. 2 have through axles one is a quick release. I don't mind taking the wheel off if the price is a lot cheaper otherwise I rather put the whole bike up. No other accessories just bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yakima, pretty sure has a setup for the 2011 Jetta sedans.

Your killing my Strava
    Next question....Front wheel on or off setup

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    for mountainbikes, I don't think it matters, but I do like options that hold the wheel over the frame. For roadbikes I still think form mounts are a better choice as less stress is put on the wheels.

I use the Thule Sidearm for my MTB. Recently made the drive from MN to AZ and back with no issues, though the bike does "flutter" a bit more than I have seen on the Yakima HighRoller. However the locking system on the sidearm is worthless (as has been my experience with many of the the Thule Racks).

I have a Yakima Form mount on my wife's car, and it is also great, but doesn't work with my MTB as I have a 15mm through-axle. While there are adapters for that, the PITA factor keeps me with the wheel-on options.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyl26 View Post
    Next question....Front wheel on or off setup
    thule uses the 480 traverse tower for your car....this can be installed with their standard rectangular steel load bars, or the new, aeroblade bars. the aeroblades are going to be quieter and ultimately more fuel efficient than the other option, plus utilize a t-channel on the top of the crossbar. no fairing is required (or compatible) with the aeroblades.

if you use an upright carrier, the thule sidearm is an excellent rack - regardless of the what the nay sayers say about the security. while they are right, no rack that we or any other rack dealer sell is going to satisfy total security by itself.

as far as fork mounts go, i think the thule peleton is a great value compared to the thule echelon. mounting either of these 2 racks on the aeroblades, or other aero style crossbars is going to require the use of the xadapt9.

i hope this is a good start for you...let me know if you have other questions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com;8576022 [URL="http://www.cracksandracks.com/thule-594xt-sidearm-bike-rack-p-665.html"
    thule sidearm[/URL] is an excellent rack - regardless of the what the nay sayers say about the security. while they are right, no rack that we or any other rack dealer sell is going to satisfy total security by itself.
    I'd like to chime in on this. While all top racks with the lock cores can be circumvented, the Sidearm in particular has a serious flaw. The rack uses 2 cores: One perfectly fine on the base to cover 2 of the knobs that attack the rack to your car, The other on the armature is where you run into problems. On the armature, when it is locked, the "button" does not push all the way in, but if you apply upward pressure to the hook, it will still slide up the rail. I have found this issue to be consistent with all of the Sidearms I have been able to try since discovering it. Thus, for somebody in the know, it takes just as long to remove the bike, locked or not. I love the Sidearm rack, and use it personally. However, if security was my main concern, the Yakima Highroller's cable lock, while easily circumvented with additional tools, functions properly.

Your killing my Strava
    My rack
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Your killing my Strava
    One more
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Your killing my Strava
    So as you can tell I went with the Thule sidearms. I purchased from Cracksandracks.com Amazing customer service. They were close to $200 cheaper than my local rack shop. Plus free shipping and no sales tax. Cant beat that. Scott emailed me right away with all the shipping info. Since I have had it I noticed one of my sidearms not locking with the key. Scott got a hold of Thule and they are shipping me out a warranty part. First class store!!