Roof Rack Mod For 110mm and 100mm Thru Axles- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Roof Rack Mod For 110mm and 100mm Thru Axles

Sharing my roof rack tray mod I just finished up. I decided to do this because the 110mm ForkUp adapter was whistling loudly on my roof when there was no bike in it. I drew this up and had the local welders whip it up for me. The mounts are behind the crossbar and out of the wind. No more whistling! I decided to have both 110mm and 100mm, just incase. Be aware that when using the 110mm mount that the 100mm mount is in between the fork legs and pretty close to rubbing (mine actually touches on one side, but hasn't been a problem). I put them this close together because I would have had to space it out a LOT further so it didn't hit the brake caliper. The adapters are made from 1/2" sched 40 pipe. The perfect inside diameter for 15mm thru axles! Enjoy!

Roof Rack Mod For 110mm and 100mm Thru Axles-rack-2.jpgRoof Rack Mod For 110mm and 100mm Thru Axles-rack-3.jpg

jrm
    mtbr member
    Maybe a V2 revision could be to just have a 100mm mount and use plastic spacers to achieve 110mm width should you need it..

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Looks nicely done. I never had or at least heard my Fork Ups whistle on my rack. Did you try to have the Fork Up laid back against the tray?
    Last edited by Hurricane Jeff; 12-09-2015 at 04:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Maybe a V2 revision could be to just have a 100mm mount and use plastic spacers to achieve 110mm width should you need it..
    That sounds, to me, like a pain in the arse; lining up spacers while trying to thread the axle through, all while reaching over the car. Unless you had some way to hold the spacers in place.

I'd consider putting the 100mm tube on top of the 110, which would put it in the open space above the dropout rather than near the fork leg or caliper. Still, to me this is one of those "why isn't someone already doing this" type solutions. Thru axles are mainstream now, and every commercial fork mount I've seen for them seems kludgy.

Also, is that a typo on the 1/2" pipe? I wouldn't think [nominal] 12.7mm od would be the right size for a 15mm id.

jrm
    mtbr member
    What i was thinking was that the pipe ID would be the same as a adaptable hope evo II hub and then you could use hub adapters that are easily removable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    When I designed the Fork Up thru axle adapters, they where designed to be mounted onto the bike first, then mounted onto the rack. It is much easier threading your axle through your fork and hub at ground level rather than trying to hold your bike in place, then inserting the axle. The adapter also preserved the standard 9mm dropouts so you could mount other bikes on the rack. Now with some racks that are set up with only thru axle mounts, that eliminated that feature, although more and more bikes are coming with thru axles.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    That sounds, to me, like a pain in the arse; lining up spacers while trying to thread the axle through, all while reaching over the car. Unless you had some way to hold the spacers in place.

I'd consider putting the 100mm tube on top of the 110, which would put it in the open space above the dropout rather than near the fork leg or caliper. Still, to me this is one of those "why isn't someone already doing this" type solutions. Thru axles are mainstream now, and every commercial fork mount I've seen for them seems kludgy.

Also, is that a typo on the 1/2" pipe? I wouldn't think [nominal] 12.7mm od would be the right size for a 15mm id.
    Yep. 1/2" plumbing pipe is the correct size. Not sure why the inside diameter is what it is, but it works.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    Looks nicely done. I never had or at least heard my Form Ups whistle on my rack. Did you try to have the Fork Up laid back against the tray?
    I tried it laid down against the tray, standing straight up, tilted forward. It all whistled. Let me say that when I mentioned it to my buddies, non of them that I talked to ever had the same problem. Is it my car? Who knows?

I did try putting it under the tray and that was a great way to eliminate the whistle because it was behind the faring. However, I couldn't mount my bike in it because the roof of the car was in the way of tightening the axle.
    -Kyle

www.ByeKyle.com
    Simple Strap

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    When I designed the Fork Up thru axle adapters, they where designed to be mounted onto the bike first, then mounted onto the rack. It is much easier threading your axle through your fork and hub at ground level rather than trying to hold your bike in place, then inserting the axle.
    I wonder how many folks do that? I think I tried both, but almost always put the adapter on the rack. Why? Because then it's just a rack-which-hold-a-bike, there's no extra thing to figure out when to install and where to store.

It comes off the car when not needed (roof rack is only for when the hitch rack is full).

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    It's in the instructions to mount it on the bike first, but to each his own. I see tons of Fork Ups on racks without a bike mounted on it.

mtbr member
    It's in the instructions to mount it on the bike first, but to each his own. I see tons of Fork Ups on racks without a bike mounted on it.
    It is a great place to store it. Those adapters in a car or the rear open part of van or suv, can become deadly missiles in even a mid speed crash.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk