Roof rack or hitch mount rack for Ford Escape?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Roof rack or hitch mount rack for Ford Escape?

I recently sold my 5 series wagon which I used roof rack mounted Thule Sidearm racks for a total of 3 bikes. For the next year or so I'll be using the wife's 14' Ford Escape. My question is should I stick with the roof mounted Thule or make the transition to a 1 up hitch mounted rack? Any input is appreciated.

mtbr member
    I've always used roof mounted racks until recently. I now have a very expensive bike and I keep seeing post on the lbs Facebook page of people bringing their bikes in that weren't properly seated in the rack or the rack not properly installed. I'm terrified now every time I drive to the trails and back. Its the scariest part of the day. I ordered a hitch mount that should be in today. If you've been using the roof rack for years with no issue and have been pleased with it, why switch? The Escape will sit higher than a sedan so getting the bikes on and off will be a tad more tedious but its nothing that opening the back door to climb up can't fix.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hitch mount.
    The rack can be locked to the vehicle. Easily transferred to another vehicle. Quick, with tire removal unnecessary. Low loading height (my Grandmother could load 'em). Collapsable for storage. Increased height clearance. You can look at them in the rear view mirror and spank.
    Blocks your tag and tail lights. Beware of road drop-offs and speed bumps on lower vehicles. Our '06 Scion xB, which is really low, goes over speed bumps, but there's one trailhead driveway apron that has a dip. We touch a little on that.