Roof rack for both Road & Mtb: Thule Sidearm vs Paceline?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Roof rack for both Road & Mtb: Thule Sidearm vs Paceline?

I have a T2 hitch mount that I pull out when I'm going to be lugging multiple bikes but I don't really like to leave it on my vehicle all the time as it seems it would just be too easy for someone to cut the hitchpin with an angle grinder and make off with a $400 rack. So I tend to store it in the garage when I won't be using it.

I'd like to add a single roof rack (I already have the Thule square bars) to my element that I can just leave on it all the time for when I want to quickly throw my road bike or mtb on a rack for a quick trip.

To me it seems the sidearm would be the quickest, but it seems like you could possibly just release the QR, disconnect the fork from the wheel and then push the wheel forward to steal both the bike and the wheel. It also has the advantage that I wouldn't need to get an adapter for thru wheel axles and couldn't accidentally pull a dumbass move and lock the front brakes with the wheel off requiring pushing the pistons back

The Paceline seems like it would involve more work to steal the bike (any bike left on a rack is just on borrowed time I know) but I worry that in high winds it may put undue stress on the fork at the QR mounts

I'm curious what others think the pros & cons are of each?

mtbr member
    I use a Yakima Front Loader. I know it wasn't one of your options but I like it because I can put any bike on there except maybe a fat bike without removing the front wheel and there's no contact with the frame. There is a cable and lock system that might slow down a thief for a few seconds. If someone wants your bike...they will get your bike so I just don't worry too much about it. My car insurance will cover the theft if it ever happens. You could always wrap cable around the frame and through the wheels and to the roof rack/rails and use a big ass padlock. Might slow them down just a little longer or cause enough ruckus that someone might actually call 911 if they see someone trying to cut through all that to steal your bike.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Thanks for the suggestion, I looked at the Yak Front loader and didn't really care for it.

There is a cable and lock system that might slow down a thief for a few seconds. If someone wants your bike...they will get your bike so I just don't worry too much about it. My car insurance will cover the theft if it ever happens.
    Yeah, I know insurance will cover it, but then you still have to go through the hassle and usually don't get FMV for your bike and/or have a deductible to deal with.

I'm mostly just looking for something where I would feel reasonably comfortable leaving it for 5 minutes to grab something from the bottle shop or pickup a to go order from the taqueria.