Roof rack bike tray "spread" for MTB handlebar clearance?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Roof rack bike tray "spread" for MTB handlebar clearance?

As the title implies, does anyone have any advice for minimum "spread" between two fork mount bike trays on a roof rack so that handlebars dont bang into one another? This used to not be such an issue, but with handlebars getting wider, Im thinking (guessing?) more space between bike trays is required.

Anyone run into this? Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    My boy has trouble on his fiesta and I thought just switching one rack to face forward and one backwards would be a easy fix

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shred79 View Post
    My boy has trouble on his fiesta and I thought just switching one rack to face forward and one backwards would be a easy fix

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Sorta. Gotta watch for handlebar-saddle interference at that point.

My Kuat NV flirts with that problem with my bike and my wife's bike on it. I have to compress the dropper on my bike so they'll fit at all. But even then, her handlebar hits my saddle and comes awful close to screwing with her brake lever.

If my dropper lowered the seat a little bit more, I'd be fine. If the STA or wheelbases of the bikes were different, they'd be fine. Just happens to be a weird convergence of factors for our two bikes specifically.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    The Seasucker mini-bomber (and probably bomber) has a simple approach: the two fork mounts can be installed about 10 degrees from forward. I thought this was a mistake at first but it quickly became obvious as to why they suggest doing it that way.

Haven't seen any other rack use this trick, I guess you can hope it allows for front/back offset.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    You can get them pretty close, within ~ 6, if you reverse them. I do it with a Thule fork mount, with 27.5 wheels. The brake lever may not clear a 27.5+ or 29; it just clears a 27.5. That partly depends on the angle of the brake lever. If you use thru-axle adapters you can vary the angle slightly and it also lifts the handlebars a bit.