Roof rack bike carriers and carwashes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Roof rack bike carriers and carwashes

I just installed a Yakima roof rack and Frontloader bike carriers on my Forester this week. Instructions say to remove rack before entering a carwash. What a pain!! Is this really necessary? How many of you are going through a carwash without any problems?

Thanks.

ballbuster

Yes, it is

Quote Originally Posted by 86Tiger
    I just installed a Yakima roof rack and Frontloader bike carriers on my Forester this week. Instructions say to remove rack before entering a carwash. What a pain!! Is this really necessary? How many of you are going through a carwash without any problems?

Thanks.
    Those rotating brushes will grab on the trays and rails and want to pull them off the roof of your car. Yeah, carwashes don't deal with odd shapes at all.

Heck, if you damage the carwash, the owner might hold you liable for the damage.

Yeah... major downside of roof racks. ... and carwashes kinda mess up the finish of your car anyway, not to mention they never do a good job.

I keep a soft microfiber carwash sponge in my car and go to those car washes where you put the quarters or tokens in, and you shoot and scrub your own car. Results are much better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Just look for, "No Touch" car washes. Plus you won't have those dirty, nasty brushes scratching up your paint!
    adam michigan karate monkey

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Car washes with brushes that touch your car are generally terrible for your car, so your new rack is doing you a favor.

If you must, do the no-touch. Otherwise, wash it at home or even do the things where you drive into the bays and put some quarters in and wash.

code: mtbr2011

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    Those rotating brushes will grab on the trays and rails and want to pull them off the roof of your car. Yeah, carwashes don't deal with odd shapes at all.

Heck, if you damage the carwash, the owner might hold you liable for the damage.

Yeah... major downside of roof racks. ... and carwashes kinda mess up the finish of your car anyway, not to mention they never do a good job.

I keep a soft microfiber carwash sponge in my car and go to those car washes where you put the quarters or tokens in, and you shoot and scrub your own car. Results are much better.

Members who have read this thread: 0