Roof rack and automatic car wash- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Roof rack and automatic car wash

Does anyone take there roof rack through automatic car washes? I'm talking about the brush type. Just wondering if the brushes could get caught on the rack and damage it. I have a Thule btw.
    Wanted: broken Titec 2 bolt seatpost, any size

mtbr member
    Don't do it. I worked at a carwash back in highschool and have seen my fair share of destroyed property from the revolving brushes. Those softer "chamois" brushes with the longer/thicker portions can get wrapped around things fairly easily and it has the power to break all sorts of crap (bike racks, metal antennas, bug guards, fender extensions, etc).

Plus the brushes are really bad for the paint and cause noticeable swirl marks after prolonged use. My suggestion is to use the touchless systems that uses pressurized water and soap to clean the car. They work pretty well and generally won't damage much of anything....but just make sure that rack is on there securely. I'd probably remove the fairing (if you have one) before you go into a touchless carwash.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Hmmmm, I've gone through those washes dozens of times without damage to my racks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Hmmmm, I've gone through those washes dozens of times without damage to my racks.
    I'm not saying it happens 100% of the time, but it only takes that one time for it to get tangled up and do some damage.

Plus as I said before, those brushes are terrible for the paint on your car. Near the end of their lifecycle they can also become fairly hard and even more abraisive. No thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an
    I'm not saying it happens 100% of the time, but it only takes that one time for it to get tangled up and do some damage.

Plus as I said before, those brushes are terrible for the paint on your car. Near the end of their lifecycle they can also become fairly hard and even more abraisive. No thanks.
    I'm not worried about the paint, but I am worried about the brushes getting tangled and destroying the rack.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grawbass
    I'm not worried about the paint, but I am worried about the brushes getting tangled and destroying the rack.
    Never happened to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Never happened to me.
    Cool, thanks. I guess I'll give it a try.

all around nice guy
    If you go to one with the brushes, please note that they claim they are not responsible for damage to any car accessory. Hell, if they tell you to lower your antennae, think about what could happen to your rack or your car because of the rack.
    Nothing great in the world has ever been accomplished without passion

G. W. F. Hegel

Members who have read this thread: 0