Roof Rack Advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Roof Rack Advice

I'm looking to get a roof rack for my Escape. Its down to Yakima, Inno and Rocky Mounts. I'm looking for a fork mount any other brands that i should be looking at? Anybody have any advice to lead me to one over the others? Thanks all

mtbr member
    I have an '07 Escape hybrid. I removed the factory rack and installed the factory tracks, but you may already have the tracks depending on trim level.

The Yakima Landing Pads fit right into the tracks and only have to be adjusted once for spacing, then they stay on the vehicle. Yakima Control Towers with crossbars drop right onto the Landing Pads and lock into place.

I'm using the Boa fork mount and it works perfectly. You can unlock and remove the rack system in about 30 seconds leaving just the Landing Pads each covered with a protective cap. Nice thing about the Boa mount is that there is no tray between front and rear crossbars, so crossbars can be individually removed and stored with the Boa mounts in place.

I think this is the cleanest way to go if you have factory tracks. If you have the factory rack and want to keep it then there might be other solutions.

code: mtbr2011
    what will you be mounting the bike racks to? the existing crossbars that came with the escape?
    are you looking for more strength and versatility from a yakima base rack system, or just a fork mount that will attach directly to the crossbars?

i would love to help....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com
    what will you be mounting the bike racks to? the existing crossbars that came with the escape?
    are you looking for more strength and versatility from a yakima base rack system, or just a fork mount that will attach directly to the crossbars?

i would love to help....
    I have factory crossbars that i hope to use. I am looking for a rack that will directly attach to them. I have been looking at the forklift just want to get other opinions on other brands before i buy it. I also want to be able to take the rack off and mount it to our other car that has factory roof crossbars as well so that is why i am leaning in this direction rather then a complete rack set up.

code: mtbr2011
    i think the yakima forklift is a great rack, and is easily changed from car to car with little trouble, and no tools.
    it is solid, has a very good skewer and in my opininion is the best of the direct-to-factory-rack fork mount bike racks out there.
    the rocky mounts noose is also a good rack, but some people will find that it is a little bit "clumsier" than the forklift, esp. if you are switching between two cars. it does require a tool for removal/installation.

the forklift should be purchased with 2 lock cores also, to lock the bikes to the rack (1 lock per bike rack)...highly recommended.

mtbr forum users.....use MTBR2010 at checkout at cracksandracks.com for 10% off yakima products, plus free shipping on orders over $99.00

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com
    i think the yakima forklift is a great rack, and is easily changed from car to car with little trouble, and no tools.
    it is solid, has a very good skewer and in my opininion is the best of the direct-to-factory-rack fork mount bike racks out there.
    the rocky mounts noose is also a good rack, but some people will find that it is a little bit "clumsier" than the forklift, esp. if you are switching between two cars. it does require a tool for removal/installation.

the forklift should be purchased with 2 lock cores also, to lock the bikes to the rack (1 lock per bike rack)...highly recommended.

mtbr forum users.....use MTBR2010 at checkout at cracksandracks.com for 10% off yakima products, plus free shipping on orders over $99.00
    sounds good to me. Thanks for the code.

Members who have read this thread: 0