roof rack- Mtbr.com

Thread: roof rack

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

roof rack

I need the works.... for my corolla.. How much should I spend? Where should I look for deals? My car has nothing on it currently so I'd need a full system.

I went to rackattack.com and priced out everything for my car and it came to $500... seems like a ton of money... is that a reasonable price for a full roof mounted system? Suggestions? Should I just go with a trunk mounted system if I want to save money?

Interlectchewal
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveGT101
    I need the works.... for my corolla.. How much should I spend? Where should I look for deals? My car has nothing on it currently so I'd need a full system.

I went to rackattack.com and priced out everything for my car and it came to $500... seems like a ton of money... is that a reasonable price for a full roof mounted system? Suggestions? Should I just go with a trunk mounted system if I want to save money?
    Try here.

As far as trunk-mounted racks go, I own, and always recommend, the Saris Bones. A quality roof rack is nice to have, but if you want to save some cash at the expense of convenience (easy access to your trunk, for example), there are some good trunk racks out there.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Yeah spend the dough on a Yakima roof rack or check out Thule first and make up your mind; for some reason, some prefer Thule.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    craigs list ... i'm picking up mine tommorrow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Trunk mount is ok but they're easy to steal, scuff the paint (no matter what they say) and are a PITA to get on/off. You're not goint to drive around with that silly thing all the time eh?

Roof racks sap MPG, add wonderful road noise and if you have a slip of the bike ding, nice gouge in your roof. If you're real unlucky then you crack your glass moonroof! Seen both, not pretty.

IMHO trailer hitch mounts are the cat's arse. Bikes are easy on/off. Pretty damn stable, no noise or MPG issues. No climbing on top. They're also quite possibly cheaper than roof racks depending on where you get the hitch installed.

Having used all of the above I can say at the end of a hard day I really enjoy loading the bikes on the back. Not

mtbr member
    May 2007
    man just u-bolt a couple of front skewers to your rear bumper and tow the bikes, it's by far the cheapest solution and looks rad

(just kidding, i vote for a Bones rack if you go trunk mount.)
    soul cycles titan 1x8
    fisher marlin 1x7 hybrid

Fall guy
    I'll second the bones rack if your wanting to save money.

But keep an eye on ebay/craigslist.
    In my case I got a yak rack for 30 off of a friend, and the two new rockymounts for 65 each.

If you do decide on a roof rack skip on the yakima or thule bike trays. Get the basic system and the bars. then go with a rocky mounts for the bike trays.

The rockymount trays are about 70 or so, and IMHO better quality than the $130 yakima steelhead.

A roof rack kicks the pants off of a trunk rack, but it depends on how much you use it and what kind of deal you can find as to whether its worth the cost.

How often do you ride. That could give some insight to your dilema.

Members who have read this thread: 0