Roof Rack for a 2006 Subaru Forester- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Roof Rack for a 2006 Subaru Forester

I need a roof rack for an '06 Forester. It needs to hold 2 bikes and also handle skis/snowboards in the Winter.

What is the best bet?

mtbr member

Yakima

I just bought an '06 Legacy Outback. The optional racks available from Subaru are made by Yakima and I'm quite impressed by them. Does the Forester have stock roof rails? If so, the Yakima system that attaches to the rails seems pretty strong and you can get the usual mounting accessories for bikes, skis, snowboards etc.

mtbr member

Yakima

I just bought an '06 Legacy Outback. The optional racks available from Subaru are made by Yakima and I'm quite impressed by them. Does the Forester have stock roof rails? If so, the Yakima system that attaches to the rails seems pretty strong and you can get the usual mounting accessories for bikes, skis, snowboards etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a 2006 Forester with the Thule 440. I just took it off since I only use the rear rack and living in Kansas now, I don't have the opportunity to do much (any) Canoeing/Kayaking. The Forester has flush rails and I found the Thule feet to fit better or more securely. Both Yak and Thule are of good quality. I've owned both roof racks. I prefer the Thule square bars.

I bough mine from www.agees.com. They usually have 20% off and free shipping as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    any thoughts on Rocky Mounts racks? They fit factory installed roof racks... which is what I have on my Forester X Premium.

I wear two thongs
    I can also vouch for Yakima my fathers had some form of Yakima rack or another (bike skis etc) on his Outback since it was new in 2000 and they are all still in perfect working order.
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

Stray Bullet
    I have an 06 WRX wagon and went with an aftermarket Yakima rack because I already owned the crossbars. Once the rack was on I cut the bars to fit flush to the base to avoid whacking my head or back on the protruding portion.

Eventually I'll get a hitch and put a rack out back. The rook rack is loud (wind noise), cuts down MPG, and I have to remember not drive into parking structures with the bikes on.

If you do get a roof top ract I would highly recommend the Yakima King Cobra carrier. No need to removed the dirty front wheel and put it inside the car.

Rack on the Suby

Better detail of the King Cobra on my old Jaguar

Members who have read this thread: 0