roof rack on 09 Impreza w/ sun roof- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

roof rack on 09 Impreza w/ sun roof

I'm looking at an 09 impreza that has a sunroof. looking to put a roof rack on it - it already has the channels for the cross bars - i'd have to buy the crossbars. my biggest question (which i've been looking all over the internet for) is would there be enough clearance for the sun roof to be open with crossbars? also related, would there be room enough for a fairing to be mounted?

thanks

code: mtbr2011
    yes, the clearance isn't going to be an issue....you'll still be able to tilt up your sunroof.
    however, depending on what you put up there, if that crossbar is located within an inch or 2 of the sunroof when it's open, the mounting hardware from a bike/box may - may - be in the way.
    i'm pretty confident, without seeing it that this ok..we've mounted some of these and don't ever recall any issues.
    http://www.cracksandracks.com/thule-...age-p-498.html

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    is there a comparable yakima package that would fit as well?

code: mtbr2011
    yeah, yakima uses a control tower system with landing pads...
    this system would actually raise the rack a little bit higher than the thule system.
    mounts into the same fixed points on the roof

control tower, landing pad 11, and 48" crossbars.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I have a '10 impreza w factory crossbars and the moonroof can tilt up with no issues. Be careful how long the mounting screws for the rack are though. I had a Yakima snowboard rack that had really long screws and I could see the moonroof would not have enough clearance w/o even opening it. I went w the Thule and I can open it with no issues.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Well, I ended up getting at 09 Impreza. I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but is there any huge difference between Thule and Yakima? I asked a friend and he said that Thule was more bulky or something? I have no clue but thought I'd ask before I get something. Also - how hard is the installation?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm looking for some kind of rack myself.

But have you considered installing a Hitch to use with a hitch rack, and it has lots of purposes

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Don't really want to go for the hitch - I think I might have read that you can't get a hitch on the newer subaru models. I could be wrong though.

Members who have read this thread: 0