Which roof carrier?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Which roof carrier?

I recently purchased some OEM crossbars for my sedan so I could transport my skis. However, I would also like to be able to get a carrier to put my Giant Reign on so I don't have to use the awful trunk racks. I've been borrowing my parents OEM Audi carriers which appear to be re-branded Thule Criteriumracks.
    They work great but I'm wondering if something better is available, otherwise I will just order a pair of those. My only complaint with them is they seem slightly too narrow for my wide (2.3) tires and the front tire will wobble back and forth at highway speeds regardless of the strap tightness. No concern of it coming loose but the wobble has been annoying.

I'm currently looking at the following racks:
    Thule Criterium https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-...um-598-_-13898

Thule Sidearm https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-...94xt-_-5546509

Thule ThruRide https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-...-535-_-1683514

Kuat Trio http://kuatracks.com/products/roof/trio/

I prefer the Thule racks, because my crossbars have Thule Aerobar compatible groves, which makes the mounting much easier and cleaner, but the Trio looks very nice.

Does anyone have good/bad experiences with any or all of the above racks? What is the advantage/disadvantage of the fork mount versus the sidearm mount or simple front tire strap?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I love my pair of trios. I find the fork mount much more secure and stable in windy conditions compared to the mounts where wheels stay on the bike. The only downside to the fork mount is that you have to remove your front wheel (obviously), but that's an extra 30 second affair at the beginning and end of your ride.

I've purchased both of my trios from moosejaw when they were running their 20% off one regularly priced item promotion. Purchase via active junky and get the 10%ish cash back on top of the 20% discount and they become an incredible value.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dejock View Post
    I love my pair of trios. I find the fork mount much more secure and stable in windy conditions compared to the mounts where wheels stay on the bike. The only downside to the fork mount is that you have to remove your front wheel (obviously), but that's an extra 30 second affair at the beginning and end of your ride.

I've purchased both of my trios from moosejaw when they were running their 20% off one regularly priced item promotion. Purchase via active junky and get the 10%ish cash back on top of the 20% discount and they become an incredible value.
    How well does the security cable work? Obviously no method is foolproof but if its a half-assed solution that might be an issue.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by D396 View Post
    How well does the security cable work? Obviously no method is foolproof but if its a half-assed solution that might be an issue.
    As with any cable lock with any bike rack, they're really only going to keep honest people honest; if someone wants your bike bad enough, they'll get it. At the very least, a fork-mounted rack prevents a thief from *riding* your bike away since your front wheel is secured inside the car.

With that said, the security cable is really well executed; the cable is long and thick, and retracts into the rack and held by a pretty strong magnet when not in use. However, I've never used it, so I can't comment on long-term durability with constant locking/ unlocking.

These racks weather quite well too. Mine are always mounted to my roof rack and my car isn't garaged. Aside from some minor hardware surface corrosion, everything works and looks just as good now as when I pulled them out of the box a year ago. (which isn't something I can say about the Yakima racks they replaced; they were by no means in rough shape, just a bit discolored and the wheel straps didn't move as smoothly).

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Okay perfect thank you! The trio looks perfect, I just really wish that it is compatible with the slot mounting system my base bars use. It would make swapping it off and on so much easier.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by D396 View Post
    Okay perfect thank you! The trio looks perfect, I just really wish that it is compatible with the slot mounting system my base bars use. It would make swapping it off and on so much easier.
    I can certainly understand that. Mounting the trio on my roof rack takes all of 5 minutes though, so not too bad in the grand scheme of things. Its 4 bolts and two thumb screws. I use regular Yakima round bars, and everything is very secure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Jenson had a 20% off coupon, and then then active Junky cashback saved me enough to make the decision for me. Trio is on its way!