Roof basket setup for '99 4Runner- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Roof basket setup for '99 4Runner

A while back I considered a hitch mount rack, but the wife nixed that. Now, we're really in need of storage space (damn dog takes up a LOT of space!) as well as spot for bikes and bike trailer (for the kid). I need to set up my 4runner with a roof basket and eventually two bike racks. The factory roof rack states 165 max. load capacity, which sounds decent. Looking at the Thule M.O.A.B. or Yak Loadwarrior. I've gotten two opinions from REI and Rack n Road as to what will work.

1. Both companies say I can mount their baskets to the factory crossbars, but can I use the factory crossbars with both roof basket and two bikes mounted to it, or do I have to go with the Thule/Yak tower/crossbar setup?

2. The age old question...Thule or Yakima. Thule's bike trays seemed less flexy than the Yakima (Viper) and they're fork mount mechanism seems pretty slick, but the Rack n Road guy said they're getting a lot of Thules back for warranty. Anyone else having Tule troubles?

3. Any reason to pick the MOAB over the Roadwarrior, or visa versa, other than looks?

Thanks mucho!
    Last edited by RobS10; 07-29-2007 at 03:52 PM.

Interlectchewal
    Try here.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tvrbob86
    Try here.
    Done. Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0