RockyMounts Monorail Solo- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

RockyMounts Monorail Solo

Well, I was waiting for the Quikrack Mach 2 but my boys returning to and starting college are taking the 2 racks I had. So, dad needed one now, not some time in the winter (#1675 on the list). I decided on the Monorail Solo. I have had it for 2 weeks and I am very pleased. I especially like how it carries my bike high compared to other racks I have seen. It is diminutive and simple so it kind of disappears on my JK compared to other huge industrial looking racks I've seen. Lifetime warranty is pretty sweet too!

It is well made, not too heavy and has the ability for me to add another bike with a single bike add on rack if I wanted to. Once my guys go to school I will only be needing to haul one bike as my wife has a rack on her vehicle that hangs the bikes by the frame. She only does rail trails though so most of my riding is with other folks. It holds my bike very firmly and securely with barely any movement especially when driving. The Monorail comes with two locks that are keyed the same. One lock locks the rack to the hitch and another one is used along with an included cable to lock the bike to the rack. https://rockymounts.com/collections/...il-solo-2-1-25

I was looking forward to ditching my hitch extender (8" extension) with the Mach 2 since Cal said he can make a rack with a longer pivot but again, I have no idea when I would see one.

I like everything about the Monorail with one caveat. There is a blue handle that releases and tilts the rack back as well as folding it up. I have caught my fingers a few times between the blue handle and the rack and it pinches pretty good. As long as I am intentional in how I use it there are no issues lol. Even with my spare tire I can open the rear enough with the tilt mechanism to get into the back. I would highly recommend this rack for those looking for a single with the ability to add on.RockyMounts Monorail Solo-imag0142.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RockyMounts Monorail Solo-imag0147.jpg  

RockyMounts Monorail Solo-imag0146.jpg  

RockyMounts Monorail Solo-imag0144.jpg  

RockyMounts Monorail Solo-imag0143.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Agreed. this monorail solo is a perfect solo carrier. I'm also waiting for the quick rack but needed something now. I got this back in April and it's been rock solid. Luckily I have yet to pinch my fingers on the blue lever. I also use mine with a hitch extender to clear the 37" pitbull rocker spare tire on my tj.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matrix311 View Post
    Agreed. this monorail solo is a perfect solo carrier. I'm also waiting for the quick rack but needed something now. I got this back in April and it's been rock solid. Luckily I have yet to pinch my fingers on the blue lever. I also use mine with a hitch extender to clear the 37" pitbull rocker spare tire on my tj.

Are your photos reversed though? On my rack the front tire faces right and uses the ratchet arm while the left side has the strap for the rear tire. Or, did you just install the tray the opposite way I did? I followed the pictures in the instructions.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Evil View Post
    Are your photos reversed though? On my rack the front tire faces right and uses the ratchet arm while the left side has the strap for the rear tire. Or, did you just install the tray the opposite way I did? I followed the pictures in the instructions.
    I installed it opposite side as yours. Photos are not reversed

aka bOb
    I'm really liking it on my JK as well, just couldn't wait for the Mach 2. This thread just reminded me I could just switch the two trays around and gain room to open the tailgate all the way, thanks it worked!! This rack started out as a 1.25 receiver and I converted it to a 2".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RockyMounts Monorail Solo-20180729_202323-edited.jpg  

RockyMounts Monorail Solo-20180729_202338.jpg  

RockyMounts Monorail Solo-20180729_202415-edited.jpg  

Short-Change-Hero
    Nice little reviews. I am on the waiting list currently (think somewhere in the 4k range, I don't care to remember) for the QuikRack but really dont want to be waiting until sometime next year to pick up the rack.

Will be grabbing the monorail as it will serve a dual purpose of hauling beach cruisers and my mtb. However, do you guys with the solo know if you can add more than 1 add-on?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Nice little reviews. I am on the waiting list currently (think somewhere in the 4k range, I don't care to remember) for the QuikRack but really dont want to be waiting until sometime next year to pick up the rack.

Will be grabbing the monorail as it will serve a dual purpose of hauling beach cruisers and my mtb. However, do you guys with the solo know if you can add more than 1 add-on?
    The Solo can only go to 2 bikes and the Monorail that holds 2 can go to 3.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Evil View Post
    The Solo can only go to 2 bikes and the Monorail that holds 2 can go to 3.
    Ok that is what I thought, just wanted to confirm that I was reading it properly. Looks like the Monorail 2 it is.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Ok that is what I thought, just wanted to confirm that I was reading it properly. Looks like the Monorail 2 it is.

Thanks.

Short-Change-Hero
    Well ended up running into some issues and never got around to ordering the SplitRail. Ended up being a blessing in disguise as I just ordered today noticing two things...
    1. Backcountry dropped the prices down to end of year sale $399
    2. Went to RMs site to see if it was worth the extra $25 only to find that RM was selling for $375 (same as the MonoRail)

So talked with Backcountry and they price matched with free 2day shipping. So to my door, this week was $403!!!

And a quick correction above... the SplitRail 2" receiver version can actually have TWO single bike attachments added to go up to 4 bikes total. First two bikes can go up to 60lbs each and the extension can do 40lbs each.

Short-Change-Hero
    Currently on sale for $299 from Backcountry!! https://www.backcountry.com/rockymou...-0050569406b5#

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    It seems the Monorail elevates the bike higher off the ground. Is it the same for the split rail? Also, is the Monorail sturdy? It doesn't look as robust as some other offerings.

I would be installing on a Toyota Camry, I've heard of issues with heat from exhaust melting Carbon, especially rims?!? Any truth in this?

aka bOb
    I thought the monorail was plenty stout and worked great. The only issue I had is yes it does raise up higher than most but it got in the way of my tailgate on my jeep. It looks like the splitrail and the monorail use pretty much the same base (split rail has what looks like a built in stabilizer but height looks the same or close)