Rockymounts brass knuckles roof rack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Rockymounts brass knuckles roof rack

Anyone have one of these? I just got a fat bike and it's a pain the constantly pull it out of the back of my rav4 and I hate always having the seats down. I would love to get a hitch mount and hitch rack but that's looking like $500+ which is no bueno. I already have the factory cross bars and I was given some amazon gift cards and it would eat up about 1/2 of the brass knuckles rack and the "fattie" adapter is only abou $20. Love to know what people think of that rack whether for a fat bike or regular mountain bike as I couldn't find much in terms of reviews online.

"Buy the ticket. Take the ride." -Hunter S. Thompson
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." -Oscar Wilde
    "Single speeds should come in cans" -Me

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by captnpenguin View Post
    Anyone have one of these? I just got a fat bike and it's a pain the constantly pull it out of the back of my rav4 and I hate always having the seats down. I would love to get a hitch mount and hitch rack but that's looking like $500+ which is no bueno. I already have the factory cross bars and I was given some amazon gift cards and it would eat up about 1/2 of the brass knuckles rack and the "fattie" adapter is only abou $20. Love to know what people think of that rack whether for a fat bike or regular mountain bike as I couldn't find much in terms of reviews online.

I have a couple and I really like them. I have the fat bike attachment installed and I plan on keeping it on the car all winter. I had called RockyMounts and asked them if the rack would withstand the junk, salt and sand that comes with winter driving. They said the rack was designed for that, it made of non-steel metals and all the plastic parts are nylon so it should do fine in the winter.

Putting the bike (any bike) on the rack works just fine. Once you have the fat bike kit installed which is basically two strap extenders that you use when only for fat bikes and the larger wire bale as the wheel stop, you can carry any bike in it. I use it with the kit in place to transport my road bike as well.

So I'm pretty happy with mine. I'll let you know how it does all winter, but so far after several snow storms, it seems to be doing just fine.

J.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    So your saying you don't need to switch to fatty attachment back to original size to put a different bike on there?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by captnpenguin View Post
    So your saying you don't need to switch to fatty attachment back to original size to put a different bike on there?
    Correct. Switching it is pretty easy though.

J.