Rocky Moutain Road Trip (pics and hybrid ramblings)- Mtbr.com
    Woohooo! Moderator

Rocky Moutain Road Trip (pics and hybrid ramblings)

Last weekend my wife and I drove our Honda Civic Hybrid on an extended one-day road trip through the high country. We stoped by several $1M+ houses at the Grand County parade of homes and then drove to Sol Vista for free (!?) lift-serviced biking! Sol Vista is one of the only ski resorts in the state that is not under NFS jurisdiction so they can build some crazy trails!

Here's Godzilla on one of the jumps.

After 4 runs, we drove up Hwy 36 through Rocky Mountain National Park. This was the first time I've used the bike rack on our Hybrid, and (since I've become a mileage geek), I was very curious about how well it would do in terms of fuel economy with a bike above.

The Rocky Moutain High(brid) view.

Overall for for the 396 miles, I averaged 52.4mpg despite driving over Berthoud Pass and Trail Ridge Road (12,180 feet). I am extremely happy with those results!

On the way up, we saw the first moose I've ever seen in the Colorado wild.

And the ubiquitous RMNP elk.

A glacier at 12k feet above sea level.

More view.

dirty trail dog
    I love RMNP. It's one of my favorite places on earth.
    yep...

mtbr member
    Nice pictures! Always nice to see the Rockies south of the border.

52.4mpg?!?! That is simply amazing.

ballbuster

Dang!

The thinner air would help with fuel economy, but the climbs would kill it. Happy to see you got such stellar fuel economy.

Is that an auto or stick?

Woohooo! Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    The thinner air would help with fuel economy, but the climbs would kill it. Happy to see you got such stellar fuel economy.

Is that an auto or stick?
    Yeah, I was pretty stoked too! The biggest thing is the cars ability to close off the fuel flow on the downhills. It doesn't take a whole lot of miles at 0gpm to offset the miles spent climbing at ~30mpg.

We have a CVT which is the only thing you can get these days. The manual Civics and Insights got killer mileage, but they suffered from battery problems when hypermiled. Now the Civic is only available in CVT so it can think for you and not let you overstress the battery. Seriously though, I really like the CVT (and I used to swear they would pry my stickshift out of my cold dead hand).

Members who have read this thread: 0