Rocky Mounts Monorail 2- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Rocky Mounts Monorail 2

After a lot of research and thought I just purchased the Rocky Mounts Monorail 2 from REI. I didn't need a 4 bike carrier but also wanted more than 1. I thought I would shoot for a 2 bike carrier that has the ability to add on in the future. I have a few buddies that I could take with me to local trails instead of driving separately. I also have a 1 year old daughter so when she's old enough (and hopefully enjoys riding some kind of bike) I can carry that.

Value is always important but so is quality. Finding that balance point can be tough. A lot of my research included a spreadsheet with cost per bike. After 20% off and a gift card I ended up spending $180 with free shipping to my local REI. Pretty good value in my opinion at $90 per bike.

It's set to arrive at the store on Saturday and I'm hoping to have photos posted when I get it. I'll also try to write some level of a review (it's my first bike rack so be forewarned).

Rocky Mounts Monorail 2-monorail-hitch-rack.jpg

mtbr member
    I just picked one up last week from Competitive Cyclist for about the same price. I've only used it once but I really like it. For the price, it is more well built than I expected. I like that it can handle fat bikes as well though I haven't tried my fat bike in it yet.

mtbr member
    I also picked one up from Competitive Cyclist and have had it a couple weeks now and have used it a few times. This rack replaced my Thule Doubletrack Pro XT and I've got to say I love it so far! Very easy to use, more stable than my Thule, and just constructed much better. I think you got a great deal on yours, for sure. The only thing I don't like is the locks seem pretty cheap and I'm not sure how well they will hold up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CampbellSoup19 View Post
    After a lot of research and thought I just purchased the Rocky Mounts Monorail 2 from REI. I didn't need a 4 bike carrier but also wanted more than 1. I thought I would shoot for a 2 bike carrier that has the ability to add on in the future. I have a few buddies that I could take with me to local trails instead of driving separately. I also have a 1 year old daughter so when she's old enough (and hopefully enjoys riding some kind of bike) I can carry that.

Value is always important but so is quality. Finding that balance point can be tough. A lot of my research included a spreadsheet with cost per bike. After 20% off and a gift card I ended up spending $180 with free shipping to my local REI. Pretty good value in my opinion at $90 per bike.

It's set to arrive at the store on Saturday and I'm hoping to have photos posted when I get it. I'll also try to write some level of a review (it's my first bike rack so be forewarned).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MonoRail-hitch-rack.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	1189559

Can you take one of the racks off and just run it solo with one bike so it doesn't stick out as far?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    Can you take one of the racks off and just run it solo with one bike so it doesn't stick out as far?
    No.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockadile View Post
    No.
    They do have a single bike version that accepts an additional kit but it requires popping off the plastic end cap of the main support piece, inserting the new kit and locking in place with one or two bolts.

Question for you - I have a RockyMounts Brass Knuckles roof top mount that I got to work with my fatbike (A Trek 9.8). When I put on the 4.5" tires on the 27.5" rims, it's too high for the arm to reach over the top. Do you know if that's a problem in this rack on the back? Looks like they are using similar arms.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    They do have a single bike version that accepts an additional kit but it requires popping off the plastic end cap of the main support piece, inserting the new kit and locking in place with one or two bolts.

Question for you - I have a RockyMounts Brass Knuckles roof top mount that I got to work with my fatbike (A Trek 9.8). When I put on the 4.5" tires on the 27.5" rims, it's too high for the arm to reach over the top. Do you know if that's a problem in this rack on the back? Looks like they are using similar arms.
    Darnit, you're right. In my travels I hadn't seen the single rack only the add-on.

As for it fitting a 27.5" wheel with 4.5" tires, I can't comment as I have a 26er which currently has 4" tires. If I measured the clearance above the tire with the arm fully extended would that help?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockadile View Post
    Darnit, you're right. In my travels I hadn't seen the single rack only the add-on.

As for it fitting a 27.5" wheel with 4.5" tires, I can't comment as I have a 26er which currently has 4" tires. If I measured the clearance above the tire with the arm fully extended would that help?
    No need - before I get around to buying, I'll just ask Rockymounts for the number and if they know or don't know if that will work. But thank you very much for the offer - much appreciated. I sort of think that the 4.5" on the 27.5" wheel is kind of pushing almost all the racks out there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Picked up the rack on Thursday and got it put together. I don't plan on leaving it on the Jeep full time but the fold up option is nice for those times when I'll be too tired to take it off! It went together very quickly and the instructions were straight forward. The "wrench" tool for the hitch pin is IMHO useless. I'll stick to throwing a 3/4" socket & wrench in the back to make it easy. The lean feature is very nice, I had zero issues opening the hatch. The rack held my DB Overdrive Comp 27.5 nicely. There was almost no wheel sticking out the side.

Didn't get a chance to go riding this weekend. From what I saw people were saying trails around here were too wet and it was best to stay off of them. I figure I'll get a day here soon.

I didn't take any photos of the install but I can take closer/detailed photos of certain parts if anyone would like them.

Rocky Mounts Monorail 2-20180329_125754.jpg
    Rocky Mounts Monorail 2-20180329_125803.jpgRocky Mounts Monorail 2-20180329_125852.jpg
    Rocky Mounts Monorail 2-20180329_125829.jpg
    Rocky Mounts Monorail 2-20180329_125835.jpg
    Rocky Mounts Monorail 2-20180329_125936.jpg
    Rocky Mounts Monorail 2-20180329_125959.jpgRocky Mounts Monorail 2-20180329_131432.jpg
    Rocky Mounts Monorail 2-20180329_131441.jpg

Will update again when I get a chance to use it properly!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Good choice! I'm continually impressed by this rack.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

Workin for the weekend!
    I bought one too, Iím pretty happy with the build quality and the simplicity. Looks good too. The +1 option is nice for when I ride with my kids.
    Todd

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Looking for one of these now...Best deal I could find was Retail - 20% - 8% cashback from AJ

Where are you guys getting such great deals these????

mtbr member
    When I got mine, Competitive Cyclist was selling it for 20% off of retail plus they had a $50 off coupon (+ ActiveJunky CB).

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ehfour View Post
    Looking for one of these now...Best deal I could find was Retail - 20% - 8% cashback from AJ

Where are you guys getting such great deals these????

I got a $100 gift card when I signed up for the REI credit card. They also had a 20% coupon code for members. I knew this purchase would happen soon so when I saw that REI promotion I jumped on it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Thanks guys! Will wait and see if there are anymore coupons that come out

aka bOb
    I got one super cheap as well from CC, seems like a nice rack aside from the cheapo locks.

Workin for the weekend!
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I got one super cheap as well from CC, seems like a nice rack aside from the cheapo locks.
    Whatís a good sub for the lock? Iíve already broken one...
    Todd

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    I don't know but thanks for the heads up I'm going to start searching.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    If you guys find any alternatives post them up so we can all potentially upgrade them or have spares in case one breaks.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by CampbellSoup19 View Post
    If you guys find any alternatives post them up so we can all potentially upgrade them or have spares in case one breaks.
    I just picked up one of these and the lock works great
    Boomerang Hitch Pin ‚Äď Locking | TowSmart

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    How did it break?

Workin for the weekend!
    I think it was user error, I use a power tool to install/uninstall the bolt. The lock jams against the hitch before the threaded end disengages, the powdered metal locking tab sheared off.

Would be easy the steal these racks... Iím thinking of machining a bolt with a hole for a padlock instead.
    Todd

mtbr member
    Just ordered one of these from REI with the 20% off anniversary promotion.

Going to need a hitch extension to clear my spare tire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rocky Mounts Monorail 2-4-18sideview.jpg  

mtbr member
    And even though they are in stock everywhere else, REI doesnt expect to have any until at least the 19th...

and so, i wait.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by k9adv View Post
    Just ordered one of these from REI with the 20% off anniversary promotion.

Going to need a hitch extension to clear my spare tire.
    I've got a Jeep with 35s. What length extension are you getting?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    I've got a Jeep with 35s. What length extension are you getting?
    The 8" one with matching lock from RockyMounts. I put a receiver in that bumper you see when we welded it. 8" looks like it should work for me (based on posted measurements of the MonoRail).

Here is a rear shot:

Rocky Mounts Monorail 2-brokenarrow.jpg

mtbr member
    Ok, Tyler at RockyMounts hooked me up and I now have a MonoRail and a hitch extender making it's way to me.

Great customer service from RockyMounts.

mtbr member
    Got the MonoRail, love it. heading to Nantahala to try it out this weekend.

I'd post pics, but for some reason the forum isnt taking any...keep getting "upload failed" messages.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Guys,

Looking for some updates, its been a few months and want to get a sense of if you are still loving it? or no?

mtbr member
    No complaints here. Itís held up well and can carry all of my bikes including my fat bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ehfour View Post
    Guys,

Looking for some updates, its been a few months and want to get a sense of if you are still loving it? or no?
    I still love mine! I've had 2 bikes on it a few times with mixed wheel sizes. No issues for me!

mtbr member
    I've been very pleased with mine as well. Works great, easy to put on and off, bikes are on there solid as a rock. Only complaint is I still haven't found a replacement for the cheap locks on it. Otherwise it's great!

Short-Change-Hero
    Split Rail is currently on super sale through Backcountry for $299 (normally $499). Purchase one a little over a week ago and have been loving it, however I purchased at pricematch price of $375..

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Man I wish I had seen this earlier, any leads on a good deal for these currently?.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Code: RACK10 can get you 10% off Rack Attacks website! Thats what I used to get my Rocky Mounts Backstage and saved 10%!

mtbr member
    I had been eyeing the 2" SplitRail in the REI Outlet, and they just sold out! They had it priced at $374 and it would have been $300 after the 20% sale at the end of the month.

So now I'm eyeing the MonoRail. I'm wary of buying one sight unseen, but from what I read here and on etrailer, it seems to be nearly bombproof. Wondering if the Kuat Sherpa is worth $80 more. I have $300 in dividends and a $200 gift card
    AreBee

aka bOb
    I really liked my Monorail but the new Sherpa looks pretty sweet. The Monorail fits a fat bike and the Sherpa only goes up to a 3" tire if that makes a difference. Personally if I didn't need to haul a fatty I would look real hard at the Sherpa for just a little more.

mtbr member
    No fat tires for me, so no issue there. $84 difference after tax and really no money out of pocket for me with gift card and dividends.

I can check out the Kuat at my local REI, but no local stores have the MonoRail.
    AreBee

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Arebee View Post
    No fat tires for me, so no issue there. $84 difference after tax and really no money out of pocket for me with gift card and dividends.

I can check out the Kuat at my local REI, but no local stores have the MonoRail.
    Just from using a few Kuats (not the new Sherpa) but like I said for the money I like the Monorail but I would go Kuat if I were you especially for that little bit and no money out of your pocket. I like the way the Kuat stabilizer functions better and the locking system looks a little nicer, two weak spots for the MR and the finish looks a lot better. Just my .02c

RFB
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Two thoughts for you...The Monorail's platforms can be moved side-to-side lessening the chance of handlebar/seat interference. Didn't see that in the directions for the Kuat. Also, the lever to raise/lower the Monorail is at the end of the rack. Very easy to reach. The Kuat rack has it by the inner tray. More difficult if the rack is loaded with bikes. The Kuat is a beautiful rack, but these two differences were why I went with the Monorail.

mtbr member
    Can you MonoRail owners describe the material on the arm which comes in contact with the tire?

Just wondering how it will weather. Whatever rack I buy will stay on my Jeep year-round as we ride throughout the New England winter.
    AreBee

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Arebee View Post
    Can you MonoRail owners describe the material on the arm which comes in contact with the tire?
    The trays are plastic and the arms remind me of a hard rubber gym mat material. I can take closer photos for you if you need them, just let me know.

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah reminds me of standard high density polymer plastics that you find on most all racks these days. My split rail has survived some pretty nasty, gritty drives this winter when hauling a bike here or there. Real only gripe I have about it is that the locks that come out of the arm are stupid short. Barely long enough to go under the crown, around the Y of the headtube/downtube/toptube junction and back to cable to lock. And that intersection isn't overly long on my bike.

@k9adv Have to say that is a sick built Montero. What year?