Rocky Mounts FlyTrap Adapter - first impression- Mtbr.com
    BMF
    Oct 2007

Good job! Rocky Mounts FlyTrap Adapter - first impression

I didn't see this listed as a product in the review area yet but in case anyone is looking for a solution for their 20mm Through-Axle Fork equipped bike on an existing fork-mount rack this might be the ticket: http://www.rockymounts.com/flytrapadapter

So far I have taken my bike on a couple trips using the FlyTrap. I have a Thule rack system and use the Velo-vice mounts. Installing the FlyTrap was easy - just open the Thule fork-mount, slip the FlyTrap into place and clamp down into place. The FlyTrap is slotted on one side so you slip the non-slotted side onto your fork mount first, then drop the slotted side into place. As you clamp down your fork mount you can adjust the FlyTrap's angle, I have been using it upright or at a 90-degree angle to the rack.

Mounting the bike is just as easy. After removing the front wheel install the Through-Axle back into the fork. Open the FlyTrap and drop the axle into place. I had to position the fork a little to get the axle centered so I could close the FlyTrap but it was a piece of cake. I locked it and was off and on the road.

The first time driving to the trail was on both Freeway and winding surface roads. The FlyTrap's height made it obvious to me that the fork mount was a little loose on the cross-bar as I could see the bike wobble a little when cornering. I tightened the fork-mount up after that trip and the wobbling went away.

Overall I would recommend this product. Very easy to use and appeals to me as I transport various bikes using the same racks so being able to adapt the rack as needed for my Through-Axle equipped MTB is a major benefit. The FlyTrap is metal with a nice finish and the locking clamp is plastic. It uses a typical bike-rack key/cylinder lock for security. To "lock" the bike onto the rack you will need to lock the fork mount the FlyTrap Adapter is installed into as well as the FlyTrap itself, but it is worth one extra key on the chain for a little peace of mind.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    Just a follow up to my original post after having several months use on the FlyTrap.

Overall it still works like a champ and I am happy with it. The finish (paint or powder-coat) on the fork-mount part of the FlyTrap has started to flake off near the "drop-out" area where it clamps into my Thule bike tray. I have run this on the older Velo-Vice Thule racks, as well as the newer Thule Echelon trays. The FlyTrap did start to "lean" a little on a couple trips, as it had rotated backwards in the bike-tray about 20 degrees or so, probably due to wind-resistance pushing on the bike. However, it was still secure and clamping it more firmly into the bike tray has eliminated most of the lean, although sometimes it still happens a little on extended trips at 75mph.

On the Thule racks it is easier to mount the FlyTrap facing rearward, or towards the back of the vehicle This makes loading and unloading of the bike easier, and the clamping mechanism doesn't interfere with the fork or brake caliper. This also prevents dead bugs from being deposited on the keyhole of the locking lever. I just leave the FlyTrap in the bike tray 24/7 with the tray locked, since I use it a few times per week. Mounting the FlyTrap is not really a problem though, if you prefer not to leave it up top when not being used.

Anyways, if you have a roof-rack and are looking for a way to mount a 20mm TA fork, the FlyTrap adapter is a pretty nice solution.

More Torque
    First review I've seen on this...thanks.

Members who have read this thread: 0