replace hitch pin with sleeved padlock?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

replace hitch pin with sleeved padlock?

I was looking at little luggage padlocks with the idea of using one in place of the cotter pin on my hitch pin. Looking at the full size padlocks with long hoops, I thought... why not replace the whole pin with a padlock? It might need to be sleeved up for best fit. Other than that, why not?

Has it already been done? I searched and got no results...

Drunken fool
    I would check the strength and sheer rating on the pad lock carefully. The hitch pins are subject to a pretty good sheer load, depending on what you are towing. If you are talking about just locking your bike rack, it should be fine. For towing though????

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Oh, yeah -- this is just for a bike rack. But if a padlock is sufficiently hardened against bolt cutters...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Mainly because properly designed for the purpose locking and tightening hitch pins are available from any store that sells towing products. The locking and tightening ones also have the benefit of reducing wobble in the rack.

mtbr member
    nynx, how do the pins tighten exactly? I have a locking pin but it allows for quite a bit of wobble. I am very interested in this tightening option that you mentioned but have not seen one anywhere.

mtbr member
    nevermind... google is a wonderful thing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rfields4013
    nynx, how do the pins tighten exactly? I have a locking pin but it allows for quite a bit of wobble. I am very interested in this tightening option that you mentioned but have not seen one anywhere.
    Link

The pictures probably tell the story much better than I could describe... The one I use is made by softride... but they all work the same.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just what I was going to suggest. I've used various forms of these locks with my bike racks, boats, campers, etc. They work very well. I put a cable loop over the pin before installing the lock, then run the cable through the frame(s).
    c

Members who have read this thread: 0