Relationship tanks, Thank you Honda Element.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Relationship tanks, Thank you Honda Element.

So me and my lady hit splitsville. We started as riding buddies, then lovers, and so I move in... but when it doesn't work out, Thank God I bought an Element.

I pretty much packed my entire stable of bikes in there moving out. In case you're curious, that's 2 mountain bikes, 2 road bikes, a mountain bike frame in a box, a spare fork boxed, my workstand, all my tools and some spare parts.

Guess I'll have time to train now for that 6 hours of Orange County coming up in a few months. Hopefully, I won't still be rolling with my stable of bikes in the back.

ps. please excuse the shotty digishots.

TC3
    mtbr member
    Nice! I drive an Element, too.
    Perfect car for mountain biking.
    it makes you the most popular guy when doing shuttle assisted rides

Life is Good
    Sorry to hear about the breakup.

That's alot of bike in one car. I don't really like the Elements though, too boxy for my tastes. However, I now have ONE good thing I can say about them
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

mtbr member
    I own an Element. It's awesome, because it's pure function. Build from the inside out - driver needs first, storage second, eye candy third. It's like one of those funky prototype car show cars that actually got built.

Ugly is an asset. It doesn't even show up on 'most stolen' car theft statistics.

those are Rollercams...
    A question for you Element owners, do you find the 4 cylinder gives you adequate power when the vehicle is carrying a full load?

Thanks.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WTB-rider
    A question for you Element owners, do you find the 4 cylinder gives you adequate power when the vehicle is carrying a full load?

Thanks.
    It's a large four cyclinder, so it's got some pep. You won't be the first up the hill but I'm sure you won't be the last. Car really could use a 6th gear though. The gearing is very close between 4 and 5th so you could easily by doing 4000rpm at 80mph in 5th.

That aside, it's a great car.

I Can
    Jun 2005
    nice pics of the bikes loaded in the element.
    have to ask. what does pho'd up mean?

mtbr member
    Honda odyssey has element beat in every way but cost. I found my element wanted to take off like a kite as soon as the wind got above 5 mph, waaaay underpowered, horrible uncomfortable seats, no interior room, cant just shove big bikes in it, and with more than one bike you cant carry people as well, I would always end up with a puddle of sweat on my ass after a long trip and it bucked around like a jeep on rough roads. Odyssey has almost 100 more horsepower, more cargo room behind the front seats then the overall interior space in an element, gets better gas mileage, Has an extra 4 inches of height, 30 inches of width (no thats not a typo), and 43 inches longer cargo area then an element, and you can shuttle 5 people with all gear and bikes comfortably. And there is the added bonus of being able to transport whole sheets of plywood on the inside. How big of a run-on is that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatarbhoy
    I have to ask for them to do a "Number two" on my head

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Only a guy would think to take a picture of his car fully loaded with bikes AS HE WAS MOVING OUT OF THE PLACE HE LIVED WITH HIS GIRLFRIEND! sheesh :-)~
    We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.

www.mtbnj.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neen
    Only a guy would think to take a picture of his car fully loaded with bikes AS HE WAS MOVING OUT OF THE PLACE HE LIVED WITH HIS GIRLFRIEND! sheesh :-)~
    That's awesome if you ask me. I broke up w/my psycho ex-girlfriend at her friends wedding in a hotel. I took a picture of the exact spot I told her I was done, it was the first day of the rest of my life and I look at that picture and thank myself for finally telling her where to go. I think I even stole Kevin Spacey's line from American Bueaty when I did it too. "You don't get to tell me what to do anymore". One of the best days of my life.........sorry........I like the Elements too, good going on packing it up.
    Darkness warshed over the Dude--darker'n a black steer's tookus on a moonless prairie night.

Some Assembly Required
    Just be glad you weren't married & your worst fear is finding a place to store you,yer junk & yer bikes. Divorce court is nasty, verryy nasty. Going through it all now.

YUCK!!
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member

Question for Element Owners

Sometimes you just have to cut em' loose...

It looks like you have one bike in there fully assembled - just wondering how easy it is to throw a bike in the back with both wheels on? How big is too big?

less is more
    Just be happy you have everything most important to you right there. And I thought it was cool to get one bike in the back of my RX-7.
    Finesse is everything.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mordac

It looks like you have one bike in there fully assembled - just wondering how easy it is to throw a bike in the back with both wheels on? How big is too big?
    In the element handout thingy at the dealership they show two downhill bikes sitting side by side handlebars not even touching sitting perfectly straight, far from the truth. To get a downhill bike or even a xc bike in takes a fair amount of manuvering, which normally ends up with scratches in the windows and all over the interior. Luckily the dealership dident even look at the element when I traded it in for an odyssey. The odyssey can take 4 complete downhill bikes with wheels on and all 4 riders with no problem, one of the guys even had enough space to lay down and sleep on the drive back.

mtbr member
    May 2004

apples to oranges

I'm thinking of purchasing a panel van with an extension on the back... just think how many bikes and people I could put in there. Much better than the the mini van.

Kinda like comparing a xc race bike to a long travel trail bike, don't ya think?

Back to the topic. Good for you Pho'd. Get out of that bad situation and don't look back.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Okay, I got a Large Giant Reign with a 140mm Pike up front. If I go in from the back I usually lower the fork to 90mm and lower the seat. But really, if you load from the side with the suicide doors you don't need drop anything down. The roofline is highest at the side doors. My biggest problems isn't scratches, but it's the gray interior. Tire marks on the fabric shows a lot more.

Like another poster said, it does a little finaggling to get the bike in with the wheels on. But it's not that big of a deal. Haven't tried to put a downhill bike in there yet.

Thanks for the well wishes.

It was a truly crappy day, I had to laugh at something and for me it was getting all that gear in one carload.

Man w/one arm, sorry to hear about the divorce. Good luck to you.
    Last edited by Pho'dUp; 08-15-2006 at 09:11 PM.

Randall "Tex" Cobb
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by karpiel666
    In the element handout thingy at the dealership they show two downhill bikes sitting side by side handlebars not even touching sitting perfectly straight, far from the truth. To get a downhill bike or even a xc bike in takes a fair amount of manuvering, which normally ends up with scratches in the windows and all over the interior. Luckily the dealership dident even look at the element when I traded it in for an odyssey. The odyssey can take 4 complete downhill bikes with wheels on and all 4 riders with no problem, one of the guys even had enough space to lay down and sleep on the drive back.

Dude, the guy just blew off his psycho girl. Why don't you ease up on the anti E pro oddysey BS. The one thing that's a deal killer on the oddy anyway is you can only have one with an Auto tranny. Who the hell wants to drive a slushbox auto tranny. I know I don't. Plus you can buy almost two Elements for the price of an Oddy. Plus, it's a freegin minivan. The guy is single now, out on the prowl for a new biker chickie, what's he going to say, hey baby, want a ride in my minivan? He'd probably end up being arrested and have to register as a sex offender in whatever state he lives in. As a happy as a pig in **** element owner I can say it's not the greatest looking thing in the world, but it's a large step up from a.......a.......well, minivan.

Get a grip.

Congrats on your emancipation.

mtbr member
    Sorry if I got a bit pushy, but the element is by no means the ultimate bike vehicle, it works for some and I just happen to really hate it because it dident work for me. I hope all ends up well with finding a new relationship. And if anyone is really so insecure with their image that they are scared to drive a minivan has some deep down issues, I thought this was about bike freindlyness not about being a girly-man. And have you ever tried to drive a manual with a leg or arm in a cast? ITS NO FUN. I would still have my element if I wasent a downhiller who likes to takes friends on long trips and haul building supplies. Again good luck on the huge life style change.

mtbr member
    I can fit my 21" Stumpjumper HT in there with both wheels on with a bit of manuvering. My neighbor can fit his medium Santa Cruz next to it with plenty of room for all our gear next to it, with wheels on, with room for a third bike easily.

Haven't scratched a window yet, so dunno what Karpiel is talking about with that. Then again, I rarely take out the seats - just fold 'em up - so that probably protects the windows enough.

mtbr member
    Infinity FX35 Although I can barely fit golf clubs in there.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by WTB-rider

Thanks.
    I've owned Accords, Civics, an Odyssey and an Integra over the years. So my comments on the power are within the context of how the Element stacks up to those other Honda products.

Plenty of power. No worries at all. I just took it on a 2 week vacation across the country to NYC, Toronto, Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, etc... with a family of 4, a rocket box on top, suitcases, tent, sleeping bags, pads and 2 bikes on the rear hitch mount Yakima rack. Oddly enough, I got better mileage with all of that load than I do putzing around home on shorter duration trips.

Never noticed a lack of any power with that load zooming around interstates at 70 - 80mph, in the Catskills, Adirondacks, NYC, etc... . This past weekend, same family of 4 with no rocket box and only 1 bike went out to the Black Hills and toured around in the "mountain roads". No shortage of power and it handled the elevation and steep hills with ease.

The E continues to surprise me. Was able to fit a new fridge in the back to haul home from the store and saved $50 on the delivery charge. Was able to put more brush and wood in the back to haul to the dump than my neighbor could get in his pickup box.

It's a utilitarian vehicle that may not be the most comfy, but one can outfit it with carpet and seat covers if they want more comfort. I've got 2 labs, so the wipe and go ease of not having to worry about the interior was the selling point for me. I routinely fit 2 bikes in the interior for trips to races without having to take their front wheels off (and they are both 29"er's).

Who cares about the box comments? The looks grow on you and the AWD, utilitarian aspect, somewhat decent mpg and fun factor make the relatively low cost of the car worth it for many. Great cycling car. Carry them inside, on top or on the rear (or all 3 at once).

BB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schnee
    I can fit my 21" Stumpjumper HT in there with both wheels on with a bit of manuvering. My neighbor can fit his medium Santa Cruz next to it with plenty of room for all our gear next to it, with wheels on, with room for a third bike easily.

Haven't scratched a window yet, so dunno what Karpiel is talking about with that. Then again, I rarely take out the seats - just fold 'em up - so that probably protects the windows enough.

Yea leaving the seats in is the best way to do it with normal size bikes, but I found that to get a xc and downhill bike in without removing any parts the seats needed to be removed.

Always Learning

I routinely "throw" my XL size 29"er in the rear. Just a slight tilt of the bike to the side as I place it in the back and then I bungee cord it to the side walls and floor seat mounts for the drive to the race. I usually only fold one seat up in the rear when I do this, but folding both seats up allows me to fit two XL 29"ers back there with ease. If I can fit an XL 29"er in there without scratching any windows, sides or leaving any marks - I'm sure smaller bikes would be a piece of cake to put in there. It's all in the skill of the handler.

BB

huh
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Honda odyssey has element beat in every way but cost. I found my element wanted to take off like a kite as soon as the wind got above 5 mph, waaaay underpowered, horrible uncomfortable seats, no interior room, cant just shove big bikes in it, and with more than one bike you cant carry people as well, I would always end up with a puddle of sweat on my ass after a long trip and it bucked around like a jeep on rough roads. Odyssey has almost 100 more horsepower, more cargo room behind the front seats then the overall interior space in an element, gets better gas mileage, Has an extra 4 inches of height, 30 inches of width (no thats not a typo), and 43 inches longer cargo area then an element, and you can shuttle 5 people with all gear and bikes comfortably. And there is the added bonus of being able to transport whole sheets of plywood on the inside. How big of a run-on is that?
    What about the gas mileage?

Did you strip your carpet out? 5 mtbrs with muddy shoes makes a hell of a mess.

Mini Vans are mommy cars anyway.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Honda odyssey has element beat in every way but cost.
    Nah, the Odyssey has carpet. No thanks.
    And the extra $5k. No thanks.
    Oh yes, and one looks/feels like a soccer mom in an Odyssey.

mtbr member
    More importantly, where are the nekid pix of the ex?
    Craig Kelly is my copilot.Product Marketing and Product Photographer

Another festivus MIRACLE!

Minivan?

The Element is perfect for me. It has plenty of zip.

Does the minivan have AWD? How bout rubber flooring for muddy feet?
    "If an illegal alien is an undocumented immigrant, than a drug dealer is an unlicensed pharmicist."

Captain Underpants

Neen, you sound like a WOMAN

I'm guessing the reason we dont see any personal effects (clothing, toothpaste) in with the bikes is that she;

1. Donated them to Goodwill when he was gone, or
    2. Tossed them out the second story window

Sorry for your breakup, man, but ya still got your bikes and your ride. 2 out of 3 aint bad

I almost got rid of my GTI for an Element. Almost.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by huh
    What about the gas mileage?

Did you strip your carpet out? 5 mtbrs with muddy shoes makes a hell of a mess.

Mini Vans are mommy cars anyway.

201 cubic feet of cargo space. Seats 7, sleeps four. Comes with a second battery and a fridge. Room for 7 bikes and 7 people at the same time (with hitch rack) GVW of over 10,000 lbs.

And it gets within 1 mpg of what the Element gets.

If you're worried about mud on the carpets get rubber mats.

Mommy car my a$$.

Az

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks
    OK, so I'm not the only one who was thinking this...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks
    You mean you don't have some? I though everybody had seen those.

Az

huh
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Az Barber

201 cubic feet of cargo space. Seats 7, sleeps four. Comes with a second battery and a fridge. Room for 7 bikes and 7 people at the same time (with hitch rack) GVW of over 10,000 lbs.

And it gets within 1 mpg of what the Element gets.

If you're worried about mud on the carpets get rubber mats.

Mommy car my a$$.

Az
    You're right .....that's not a mommy car. That's an old fart car.

mtbr member
    Yeah but the Odyssey is a kid toting, sponge bob playing, mini van.
    :wq

over 50 years of cycling

relationship a loss....the cars are good though

First of all...congrats for having the guts to cut your losses and make a run for it.
    Remember, marriage is grand, divorce is at least 10 grand.
    And usually more than an Element load by then.

I don't understand this rivalry between the Element and the Odyssey. They are both Hondas, which is darn good. But otherwise its like comparing cucumbers and peaches.
    I have ridden a few times in an Odyssey and its one plush ride! I happen to own an Element.

If someone is willing to pay twice the price of an Element so that he can always be the one to drive 6 of his friends to rides, that is pretty cool! Especially if he is willing to let 7 muddy mtn bikers and their muddy bikes be piled in and on that nice car and carpeting and upholstery. Besides not being able to afford the Oddysy, I also steered away from it because I wanted the 4wd and extra clearance you get in an Element, along with REALLY tight turning radius and short parking length.

Piling 7 people and bikes and equipment into an Oddysy, I suspect, is going to have that already low slung vehicle even closer to the ground and not something I would want to drive up the average lumpy dirt road access where I ride and hike. I do not do "real" offroading but I certainly hit a lot of tight rough logging roads. And its nice not to be concerned when the minimal people I CAN carpool with jump in all muddy and I don't have to worry about it, because cleaning is a breeze.

And the Element isn't much to worry about parking at a trailhead. No DVD player to be ripped out, no street appeal for stealing it, and as long as I park next to a Lexus or Oddysy or something really fancy that is more appealing.

If its too many bikes or people for the Element, I figure its time to spread the joy and let someone else drive too.

The Element is plenty gutsy with the Vtec engine. If you really need more punch climbing a grade or passing on a steep grade, you just punch off the overdrive and kick it to the floor to get the Vtec to kick in. Its suprising what you can pass. I have an automatic, BTW, since I have too often in my life had to drive with various injured limbs, plus grinding along in typical commute traffic is a pain with a stick.

I do miss being able to easily toss in a sheet of 4x8 plywood and slam the back shut. I have to put plywood sheets in at a diagonal and drive home with the back end wide open, but luckily I live close to the hardware store.

And ok, ok, I have to admit, it was hard to go with the mini-van IMAGE.

Either vehicle is a darn good choice, it just depends on what you can afford and what you plan to do with it.
    Live in the moment.
    YMMV

mtbr member
    I love my element, perfect for hauling a bunch of bikes and gear, and no extraneous features to break. I took two 10+ hour trips this week, and I never feel cramped or stuffed up like most other cars. My M3 with boxxer fits inside without moving any parts. The best part is that it's very difficult to lose something inside it, so everyone can just throw their gear in when we shuttle.

RIDE_CRASH_REPEAT
    Aug 2006
    i love my element...ive had it for almost a year now...ive got the yakima rack with two rocky mounts and four lights going across the top....if i dont feel like putting my k2 funky monkey on top...i just lift one seat on the side and slide it in there..i still have room for three passengers...its a great vehicle any way you cut it...i can fit two kayaks and two bikes all the gear i need...and still get four people in comfortably...i love this car..its got awd, it can carry anything, comfy, and gets good gas mileage...ill take it any day of the week...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mthedude
    I think I even stole Kevin Spacey's line from American Beauty when I did it too. "You don't get to tell me what to do anymore".
    Best movie ever!

[another quote from it]

"Never underestimate the power of denial"

I like Monkeys
    Just bought a new element a week ago. After riding in a friends to numerous rides with 3 people with gear for a multi-day trip in the vehicle I was impressed. We had six bikes along (3 road,3mtn) 2 on top, 2 on the bumper, 2 inside. The headroom and rear seat room is unbelievable. I especially like the 'stadium' seating in the rear, you can see out much better than most rear seats.

I've only had mine for a week but I'm impressed by the power, it seems peppier than my Subaru Baja. I have the 4wd auto and it does great. It rides almost as good as the Baja and is quieter than I expected, but still has some road noise. The stereo is awesome for a factory system. We looked at a honda ridgeline but the element seemed to have more overall passenger room, was about 7k cheaper and gets better mileage. On my first tank (80% highway, 20% city) I got abou 22mpg. I'm loving it so far but come back and ask me in a year...
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

Recovering Weight Weenie
    FWIW...i got rid of my truck and got an Odyssey. So now my wife drives the Element and I drive the Ody. The Ody is incredible as a bike hauler (inside) and the hitch and roof racks mean I can carry about 5 people and 5 bikes.

Avg. so cal gas mpg for the AWD Element: 20.5
    Avg. so cal gas mpg for the 2wd Odyssey: 17.5

Avg. so cal gas mpg for the truck I traded in? 11mpg

Members who have read this thread: 0