regular rack into the add-on slot of a T2 or similar- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

regular rack into the add-on slot of a T2 or similar

Somebody needs to make an adapter that allows either a 1 1/4" or (preferably) a 2" rack to be used in the add-on slot of my T2. Why? Because my rack is 10 years old and I want to only use it on the rare occasion that I have 4 bikes to carry. Otherwise I'd like to use a newer rack for normal use. This would allow me to have a new rack and still have the capacity for 4 and only have to make one purchase. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Most metal supply shops sell trailer hitch stock with 2-inch square I.D. Buy a 6- or 8-inch length of it and drill 2 sets of holes for your hitch pins on either end.

Slide it over the back of your T2 and the other over your new bike rack. You'd obviously have to drill the outside wall of your T2 so the hitch pin could go all the way through. Secure 'em together with a couple hitch pins or through-bolts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Great idea! I somehow missed the fact that the T2 receiver end is also 2" in all my figuring. My plan was to pay someone to weld a 2" receiver on top, but this will be much simpler. Thanks a lot! Any ideas on how best to drill the holes?

code: mtbr2011
    this is interesting...i'd like to see a finished product.

for drilling the holes, i would suggest using a drill press if you can. you'll be able to get them straight and even on both sides.

Members who have read this thread: 0