Reducing rack movement- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Reducing rack movement

I have a 1 1/4" rack that I'm using an adapter on to fit to my 2" receiver (long story why it's not the same size...). i see a lot of movement on the rack in the rear view mirror which is kind of scary.... the 1 1/4 rack going into the adapter is solid, it's movement between the hitch receiver and the adapter.

2 questions - is this anything to worry about?

will one of these sort it out?
    http://www.amazon.com/Hitch-Stabiliz.../dp/B00061UH7Y

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Nothing to really worry about ( other than it drives me nuts to see it moving) but that stablizer may be the ticket.
    Enjoy every ride!

mtbr member
    blah - the stabilizer didn't work - as i'm using an adapter the stabilizer grabs the 1 1/4 part of the adapter so doesn't have anything to clamp onto solidly.....oh well....fingers crossed it's all solid..

SCC
    SCC
    Jan 2007
    Try some of this stuff
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trail Rider

Trailer supply store

I got this locking stabilizer bolt. It has a nut that you tighten with a key lock on the end. It comes with a wrench. The other end has a U shape to it that slips into the other hole in the receiver. I have the swagman one shown, where the tires fit in the rack. Totally stable. The problem with that rack is the exhaust aims right at the tires. I should have spent the extra cash and gotten the rack that the rack extension(that fits in the receiver) curves upward. I've got to either get a tailpipe adapter to direct the exhaust downward or to the side, or have a trailer supply place make an extension that is longer and has a bend in it. That way I can clear the exhaust and open the rear hatch(no way to fold it out of the way),
    Don

Members who have read this thread: 0