Reducing 2" hitch to 1-1/4" questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Reducing 2" hitch to 1-1/4" questions

I have a 1-1/4" 1UP rack which works great on my old car's 1-1/4" receiver. I now have a 2" receiver and bought a reducer to get it down to 1-1/4". When I use the rack with the reducer, there is a lot of play and the bikes move around a fair amount. It's probably ok but I find it disconcerting to see the bikes wobbling around back there. Has anyone shimmed a reducer before? What did you use? I've tried tape, paper, and wood without much luck. Any ideas? How about the 1UP reducer? Does that fit more snug because of the locking bolt?

Thanks.

--
    Don

mtbr member
    I just used wood shims and hammered them in all around. Firmed things up quite a bit (I use a different rack, but same problem as you).
    2015 Trek Stache 7 SS
    2015 Cannondale Bad Habit
    2015 Niner RLT

code: mtbr2011

mtbr member
    The 1-Up rack works with both 2" and 1 1/4" racks. Why the reducer?? Is it because of room behind the vehicle??
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com View Post
    This is the exact thing I use when I switched to a 2" receiver. Works pretty will.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com View Post
    That looks perfect plus it locks the reducer to the hitch! I've been concerned about someone taking the rack since the reducer isn't locked to the vehicle.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    The 1-Up rack works with both 2" and 1 1/4" racks. Why the reducer?? Is it because of room behind the vehicle??
    Hmm, not sure what you mean. My rack is 1-1/4" only. Perhaps 1Up includes an adaptor now; I've had the rack for over a year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by don_o View Post
    Hmm, not sure what you mean. My rack is 1-1/4" only. Perhaps 1Up includes an adaptor now; I've had the rack for over a year.
    The 1-Up I have, is built for a 1 1/4" receiver and came with a spacer/adapter bolted on, to make it fit a 2" hitch..My unit came with 3 allen wrenches, two are the special ones to take the rack of the hitch and a smaller black one that fits the bolt on the spacer. Mine is about a year old as well.. Maybe 1-Up changed their design?!?
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I've had my 1up for over 2 years and when I bought it, it came with an adapter as described to allow it to fit 2" receivers. You couldn't use one of those hokey hitch pins because the 1up's design doesn't use hitch pins.

If your rack didn't come with one or you lost it, I'm sure that 1up can help you out.

mtbr member
    Thought I'd post a follow up. It turns out 1Up did send the adapter with the rack which I tucked away and forgot about. After digging through my bike parts bin, I was able to find it and used it last weekend. It worked great. The rack was rock solid and didn't wobble like it did with the reducer.

Thanks for all the recommendations!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Phew. Just glad you didn't need to buy another part or something weird. The adapter is an innocuous looking part; easy to overlook.

Members who have read this thread: 0