Recon Rack Review (and comparison to 1up)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Recon Rack Review (and comparison to 1up)

So I have been using a 1UP rack for the last several years, but with my son starting to bring his friends downhilling and needing to carry 4 bikes 200 miles each way to where we downhill, I needed something bigger. I was seriously considering purchasing a North Shore Rack, but was slightly put off by three things with it:

1. 1. I have watched people load them and was not impressed with their tie downs, see a lot of connecting and reconnecting to get the right tension.
    2. 2. I was concerned about the occasional complaints of the fork holder rubbing the finish off forks.
    3. 3. I was concerned about rust, which several people complained about.

After some searching, I found out about Recon Racks out of Washington. I spent some time reading the limited reviews I could find and then sent an email asking some questions. I was impressed that I received a response within an hour, on a Sunday. After some further consideration, I sent the $725.00 for a 4 bike rack.

I received the rack about a week later. It was easy to assemble, taking about 1 hour. The powder coating on it is a really nice black metallic and the welds are are nicely done. I wanted to put a few miles on it before I commented on how it works. Here is what I have found:

1. 1. It loads and unloads incredibly fast. I can load 4 bikes in under 2 minutes. If I am careful, I can squeeze a middle bike out.
    2. 2. The rack is very stable. 4 bikes at above legal speeds and no bouncing or moving around.
    3. 3. It will (barely) fit a 650B+ bike with 3.0 tires.
    4. 4. It is heavy. Removing and putting it on takes a bit of work.

In comparison to the 1up, they really serve two different purposes. The 1up is a fabulous rack for 1-2 bikes and works well with 3, but does bounce a bit with three heavy bikes (i.e. downhill bikes). Once you get to 4 bikes, you need something stronger than the 1up and the Recon can be had for up to 6 bikes.

Attached are my crummy photos with both racks.

Recon Rack Co

Recon Rack Review (and comparison to 1up)-iphone-2016.04.16-17.48.20.845.jpg

Recon Rack Review (and comparison to 1up)-iphone-2015.07.10-15.09.51.489.jpg
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Removed.
    Last edited by jmvdigital; 09-21-2016 at 08:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Any updates or long term impression of this rack?

My oneup just got totaled in an accident and I'm tired of wrestling my NSR4. Really considering this rack and would like to hear some more impressions.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I've had the 5x rack on my Tahoe for about a year, and I love it.
    1) The baskets he started making last year accommodate just about any tire imaginable. My 29x3" fit nicely. No struggle to get the bike in place.

2) Super easy to load 5 bikes.

3) It's a tank. You wouldn't know looking at it that it's been outside (and used) over the winter ( average for Colorado).

Best $ I've spent.. save the bike I put on it.

The only thing I might put in the negative column is the height adjustment. It can be difficult, but I've only done it once.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I have a recon r-5 which has been great for shuttling around santa cruz.

The only potential negative is the obvious: Its an 85lb rack designed to carry 150-200lbs of bikes. So you NEED a burly rear suspension setup with plenty of ground clearance. It probably won't work on a Honda CRV or similar "car-like" light crossover vehicle without rear suspension modification or air assist.

Here is a pic of my r-5 on my 2014 toyota sienna (with rear air bag suspension assist installed).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Recon Rack Review (and comparison to 1up)-img-3979.jpg  

Co Springs
    Wow, that a lot of bikes to haul. Good write up's and helpful reviews, thanks for taking the time. I'm happy with a 2 or 4 bike set up for now and it's meeting the needs as in the Yak 4-timer for either of my two cars with a rec hitch.

Nice to know of other options for more than 4 bikes.
    bachman must spread some Reputation around before giving it to himself again. :madman: