Recon or Northshore?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Recon or Northshore?

I have a 2014 Sante Fe XL and I have come down to the above 2 racks. I hate thinking about dropping that kind of cash on a rack, but love the idea of not having to worry about my bikes rubbing against each other rubbing the paint off to create a nice entry for rust. I am leaning toward the Recon for reasons of no contact being made except for the tires. I have looked at the platforms, the hanging ones, roof, all different kinds. I want 2 things in a rack, for my 4 bikes not to interfere with each other, and ease of loading/unloading. I want to spend my time on the trails, not loading/unloading, etc. Any experiences shared for either rack would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Recon hands down. I've used both and I'm not a fan of the NS. The NS scratched the crown on my bike and we had to bend and move the rack to get it to fit some bikes forks and headtubes. The NS was rusting and just not even close to the quality of the Recon. The Recon is made so well it will blow you away. There is so much thought into it that it just plain works. Get the Recon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    Recon hands down. I've used both and I'm not a fan of the NS. The NS scratched the crown on my bike and we had to bend and move the rack to get it to fit some bikes forks and headtubes. The NS was rusting and just not even close to the quality of the Recon. The Recon is made so well it will blow you away. There is so much thought into it that it just plain works. Get the Recon.
    Thank you for the reply, I was leaning towards the recon just because I don't like the idea of metal covered in material that can rub off and scratch the crown of my bikes.

Have you seen that Recon is about to release version 2 of the rack? It is on their facebook page. The owner said he has taken all customer input into account and his own issues with the original version and take care of them. I will most likely wait for v2 to come out and get that one. Thank you again for your input.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thmaxxer View Post
    Thank you for the reply, I was leaning towards the recon just because I don't like the idea of metal covered in material that can rub off and scratch the crown of my bikes.

Have you seen that Recon is about to release version 2 of the rack? It is on their facebook page. The owner said he has taken all customer input into account and his own issues with the original version and take care of them. I will most likely wait for v2 to come out and get that one. Thank you again for your input.
    The revisions are what make the Recon so good. They take input from bikers and change accordingly.