Recommend me a truck- Mtbr.com
    2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Aug 2009

Recommend me a truck

I have never had a truck or car before and will be getting my license very soon. So I need to decide on what I need and want, and hope you can help me in that decision.

I have about $5K to spend max, but would like to keep it below that if possible. I want a mid sized truck that will last a long time with minimum repairs and maintenance. It needs to be 4 wheel drive and be cable of holding 2 19" mtb's. Though the bikes don't need to stand. Just as long as I can get them in and secure them down. It can be either a SUV or a pickup, or a hybrid of the two.

So does anybody have any recommendations, Id greatly appreciate it.

mtbr member
    If you are dead set on a truck then a nissan frontier or toyota tacoma would be good.

Aug 2009
    why do you think a truck is bad, like I said it can be a SUV also. I just dont want a sedan, im a bigger guy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Toyota. For reliability reasons.

Maybe a older 4runner or Tacoma/pickup and dont let the mileage scare you 200,000 miles on a toyota pickup or 4runner is nothing to worry about. With any vehicle you are interested in make sure you have a mechanic check it out. $50-100 is what it should cost and an easy way to see upcoming problems with a vehicle.

Maybe something like this
    http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/1418666543.html

or this
    http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/cto/1440962522.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverTail
    why do you think a truck is bad, like I said it can be a SUV also. I just dont want a sedan, im a bigger guy.
    I do not think trucks are bad. Trucks are very useful, however i am an automotive enthusiast and find trucks/suv boring to drive. If you were not set on a truck/suv type vehicle i would have recommended some thing like a subaru wrx or a sporty hatchback. Personally, i carry my bike on my a toyota mr2 spyder. Not an ideal vehicle, but it gets the job done and is fun to drive when i don't have my bike strapped to the back of it.

mtbr member
    Consider all of the seasons and what else you'll be doing too. I got an '04 4Runner after my '89 Yoda pick-up cause I also do ski trips. The 4Runner holds 2 bikes on the Thule T2 hitch rack and one inside the back when we go DH or on far trips. For Skiing I can fit 1 snowboard and 3 pair of skis on a Thule roof rack, 4 of us inside and all of our clothes and gear in the back without any problems. For those reasons a 4Runner made a lot more sense.

FWIW, my '89 Yoda pick-up had the 22-RE motor that Toyota is known for and had a 5 speed. At 243,000 miles one belt broke and knocked another off the pulleys. I figured that the time was right and it was time for a new Toyota. Original engine with no work done to it, clutch, drivetrain and body were original. Very few parts were ever replaced on it (Timing chain, master cylinder on the clutch $150 and parking brake cable was about it).

Ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropout33
    Toyota. For reliability reasons.

Maybe a older 4runner or Tacoma/pickup and dont let the mileage scare you 200,000 miles on a toyota pickup or 4runner is nothing to worry about. With any vehicle you are interested in make sure you have a mechanic check it out. $50-100 is what it should cost and an easy way to see upcoming problems with a vehicle.

Maybe something like this
    http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/1418666543.html

or this
    http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/cto/1440962522.html

well I dont know any personally. So do I just got to a shop or something. I a bit worried about buying on craigslist as every other Toyota is a scam in nyc.

Oct 2007
    your personal size doesnt have much to do with wanting a truck. most sedans are more comfortable for big guys than trucks are anyway.

your 5k budget puts a real damper on getting something long lasting and reliable. even a 5k tacoma would probably need some work, maybe major work.

Aug 2009
    well I mean how much did you guys spend on your first cars.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    $700

Just get whatever you are interested in buying checked out by a mechanic.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverTail
    Trucks and suv's on average don't necessarily have more cockpit room than cars do. Some cars (even small ones) can be cavernous in the drivers seat, and some trucks/suv's are actually quite small inside.

skobiken
    Jun 2009
    I've got a friend who's 6'5 ~230lbs. who loves his Ford Escape. The 3.0L motor is fairly bulletproof. They are pretty easy to find cheaply. I bet you can find one for 5K with a little over 100,000 miles on it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Okay. One truck everyone should have. Cummins turbo diesel. You can find an old 12valve for 5grand. They are the best things ever. Like a 94 Dodge ram 2500 with a cummins. Can't beat the durability of the 12 Valve. One guy ran his 98 1,400,000 miles and its still puttin.

Oct 2007
    they're hideous old soot blasting beasts though. im a big diesel fan, but the older diesel trucks are borderline gross.

they're also GIGANTIC, hard to park and borderline usilly for anything not work or tow related.

why they dont make an F150 diesel is beyond me. imagine a 35mpg truck that could pull tree stumps out of the ground. toyota has a diesel tacoma, we just dont get them here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    https://images.google.com/imgres?img...a%3DN%26um%3D1

still get good mileage in the 12 valves though, better than any gasser V-8.

I drive a 2007 5.9 common rail as my daily driver.

mtbr member
    personally i love my ranger. It's a bit smaller, but if you get an older one with the 4.0l and 4x4 youd be set. Also rangers are pretty good on reliability, and they're very easy to work on
    Slug for life

Code Burr
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsmoto

why they dont make an F150 diesel is beyond me. imagine a 35mpg truck that could pull tree stumps out of the ground. toyota has a diesel tacoma, we just dont get them here.
    IMO, its because oil companies dont want you to have one.

Victim of Saddle Rage
    How about jeeps? An old school toyota landcruiser or cj7? You can fix them yourself and they are actually fun to drive. My 7 has plenty of space and can easily handle an off-road trailer. I've also converted to LPG and saved a few bucks while reducing pollution.

A cummins pick up for 5k would be a great find. Good luck on that. They are hard to beat on durability, however they are also pricey to fix.
    " the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." C&H

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Toyota! They run and run! My dad use to have one of those fugly 1980 toyota vans that had more than 300,000 miles on it when he sold it back in the late 90's and he got a good price for it. That sold me.

I picked up a pre-owned 2004 Tacoma with 7000 mile on it. I have only put one set of front brake pads and tires on it in the 5 years I had it. I ride it pretty hard too.

Toyota is the way to go!

turtles make me hot
    My stepson wants a truck just because he thinks he needs a truck. We bought him an 01 Mercury Grand Marquis with 24,000 miles on it. Car is like brand new. I'll tell you what I told him. NO ONE sells trucks cheap in any kind of good condition. They've usually been thoroughly worked or thrashed or driven on the beach. I keep telling him to save his money and drive the Merc and buy a brand new truck when the time comes. I know he's gonna go buy the first piece of crap that comes along he can afford.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    My first vehicle that I bought was a 1996 Ranger with 17k miles for $6,000. That was back in 2000. I still drive it every day, with 128k on it now. Has been very reliable, only basic maintenance and a few small repairs. I've never had it in the shop in the 10 years I've owned it, done all the repairs myself.

Look for a 2001 and newer Ranger or Mazda B series with an extended cab (due to your size). You should be able to find one at your budget, but will probably have some miles on it.

Something like this would be decent 01 Ranger 4x4 Super Cab

Members who have read this thread: 0