Which Receiver Hitch and Platform Rack for 2016 WRX???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Which Receiver Hitch and Platform Rack for 2016 WRX???

So I'm in the process of buying a 2016 WRX Sedan and I was hoping to install a receiver hitch and a Kuat Tray type bike rack. Can this be done or which are my best options?? Thanks....

Bikesexual
    etrailer.com - they will match up your car with both a hitch and a rack (if needed)
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    The Torklift Ecohitch looks to be an awesome way of installing a hitch to a WRX. Not sure of the cost though but I see its $285.00 for just the hitch.

Torklift Central | 2015-2016 Subaru WRX/WRX-STI EcoHitch Invisi

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
    The Torklift Ecohitch looks to be an awesome way of installing a hitch to a WRX. Not sure of the cost though but I see its $285.00 for just the hitch.

Torklift Central | 2015-2016 Subaru WRX/WRX-STI EcoHitch Invisi
    That hitch has me scratching my head. With the receiver totally "hidden" inside the bumper how would you get to the hitch pin and/or lock to install/remove a bike carrier, or anything for that matter? It looks like you would need some sort of adapter to get it out through the bumper to be able to put anything in the receiver tube. Either that or lay under the car and reach up inside the bumper just to put the pin in. I really like the concept but it looks pretty impractical unless you never take the bike carrier out of the hitch.

Check out the Curt hitch from e-trailer..... https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...leid=201630917
    There are a few reviews posted already and one picture that shows the hitch installed and it sits up tight against the bumper, out of the way and looks clean. I have a Curt hitch on my Forester and had one on my GTI before that and never has an issue. Plus e-trailer is awesome to deal with.

b a n n e d
    I have a torklift Ecohitch on my 2016 STI . . . it works fantastically, but if you need access to the pin, it would be quite difficult. I use a 1UP rack, which doesn't need to access the pin so its all gravy. best setup I've ever had. The curt hitch mentioned above could work too, but note that it does stick out quite low, so ground clearance would be an issue over steep inclines; not an issue with the ecohitch.

Which Receiver Hitch and Platform Rack for 2016 WRX???-img_0125.jpg
    Which Receiver Hitch and Platform Rack for 2016 WRX???-img_0126.jpg
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by crfnick56 View Post
    That hitch has me scratching my head. With the receiver totally "hidden" inside the bumper how would you get to the hitch pin and/or lock to install/remove a bike carrier, or anything for that matter? It looks like you would need some sort of adapter to get it out through the bumper to be able to put anything in the receiver tube. Either that or lay under the car and reach up inside the bumper just to put the pin in. I really like the concept but it looks pretty impractical unless you never take the bike carrier out of the hitch.

Check out the Curt hitch from e-trailer..... https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...leid=201630917
    There are a few reviews posted already and one picture that shows the hitch installed and it sits up tight against the bumper, out of the way and looks clean. I have a Curt hitch on my Forester and had one on my GTI before that and never has an issue. Plus e-trailer is awesome to deal with.
    You just reach under and put the pin in. It's accessible below and behind the bumper cover.
    No Adapter, Receiver plugs right in.

I have it on my XV.
    It's even more important to preserve what little ground clearance you have with a WRX.

Which Receiver Hitch and Platform Rack for 2016 WRX???-img_2332.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Menel View Post
    You just reach under and put the pin in. It's accessible below and behind the bumper cover.

I have it on my XV.
    It's even more important to preserve what little ground clearance you have with a WRX.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2332.jpg 
Views:	4250 
Size:	312.4 KB 
ID:	1062574
    OK, I stand corrected. That does look like a pretty clean alternative to the hitch sitting below the bumper.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Menel View Post

I have it on my XV.
    This is also true for the WRX/STI, but there's a lot more plastic for your hand to clear if you routinely need to access the pin. If you use a 1UP, it doesn't matter one bit, and if you plan to put your rack on and leave it on, it also doesn't matter. Occasional access wouldn't be that big a deal.

Elitest thrill junkie
    There are some pretty awesome hidden receivers these days, I have one that is similar on my bmw and there's nothing externally visible. Had to take off the rear fascia and install behind the rear crash-bumper, which is actually what the european-available OEM receiver does, but well worth it. With systems like these, it is a no-brainer IMO.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    There are some pretty awesome hidden receivers these days, I have one that is similar on my bmw and there's nothing externally visible. Had to take off the rear fascia and install behind the rear crash-bumper, which is actually what the european-available OEM receiver does, but well worth it. With systems like these, it is a no-brainer IMO.
    Which BMW? I Passed on the M235i because there was no way to put a hitch (or so I thought).

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Eco hitch is nice, I really like the Kuat rack

I just did it on mine. Getting the hitch pin in is a bit of a pain. Definitely read the instructions a few times. I missed some minor items and had to redo.
    So far I have used it only once and it was good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

STi

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    I have a torklift Ecohitch on my 2016 STI . . . it works fantastically, but if you need access to the pin, it would be quite difficult. I use a 1UP rack, which doesn't need to access the pin so its all gravy. best setup I've ever had. The curt hitch mentioned above could work too, but note that it does stick out quite low, so ground clearance would be an issue over steep inclines; not an issue with the ecohitch.

Name:	IMG_0125.jpg 
Views:	5387 
Size:	268.1 KB 
ID:	1062554

Name:	IMG_0126.jpg 
Views:	6484 
Size:	263.9 KB 
ID:	1062555
    I am looking to do this on my 2017 STi, how does the 1up rack attach to the receiver if you do not need to access the pin or do you just leave it on all the time? Sorry of this is a stupid ?.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by deuce1919 View Post
    I am looking to do this on my 2017 STi, how does the 1up rack attach to the receiver if you do not need to access the pin or do you just leave it on all the time? Sorry of this is a stupid ?.
    Its got a ball that jams into the corner of the hitch via a jack screw. That lock it in place and no pin needed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018

questions about hitch pin fit

[QUOTE=Koogs;12582603]Eco hitch is nice, I really like the Kuat rack

I just did it on mine. Getting the hitch pin in is a bit of a pain. Definitely read the instructions a few times. I missed some minor items and had to redo.

I love the hidden hitch and want to order one but... I don't want to use the 1up (need four bike capacity, which would be $1100 through that company...), so need to know more about how hard the pin is to get in with traditional racks. Looking at the bumper on my '17 STI, seems it would be near impossible. Did you trim your bumper a lot? And did you use the 2" (which I have to for a 4-bike rack) or the 1 1/4 (which might be easier to reach around). Any info would be great - thanks!
    Eric

mtbr member
    So this question comes over 1 year later than the most recent comment... for that i apologize, but....

I have a 2019 WRX, which is the same as the OP's 2016, and im deciding between the 2 hitch types; hidden in the bumper, or below the bumper.
    I use a Thule T2, but on rare occasions i do tow very small things. How does the "hidden" hitch type, like the Eco, allow for access to the pin?