Rebuilt Subaru Engines- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Rebuilt Subaru Engines

Greetings,

This one goes out to the people who have tried a rebuilt Subaru engine. What was/has your experience been? Any issues with the place you bought from? If so, where was that? How many miles has the rebuilt engine accumulated?

I rebuilt a short block 350 chevy in HS without issues, but I am not sure about the 180 degree piston configuration and how amendable they are to a rebuild.

Any input appreciated.

J

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I haven't rebuilt the engine in my subaru (though a transmission rebuild may be around the corner after a few more HP), but if I were looking for info I'd hit up www.nasioc.com There are many threads on rebuilds, regional forums for finding local help, and reputable shops to help out with possible machine work. Good luck on the engine!

-Matt

Are you talking to me?

You guys belong in Alaska.

Alaska is the #1 Subaru using state. Tons of spare parts available up here.
    gfy

Do It Yourself

Just a thought...

Maybe try one of the many Scubie forums?
    Long Live Long Rides

smell my finger
    I replaced one 2.5 ltr. dohc motor and rebuilt one too in my '97 outback. Blew 2 head gaskets, exhaust leaking into the coolant. It was pretty straight foreward. I didn't split the block or pull the pistons, just pulled and stripped the heads, replaced the oil pump and rebuilt with the new and improved head gaskets. Then the tranny blew alittle while later! I posted my fun on www.nasioc.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    My dad...a master mechanic...bought a subaru outback for my mom to use on a mail route. Got it cheap with a blown motor. Just talked to him yesterday and he said he purchased an imported motor. Said it was cheaper than a rebuild an existing motor.

Aparantly in Japan(I believe that's where it was from), a car only lasts about 40,000 miles or so before it rusts. They have some gov. mandate where they require the owner to get rid of the car, as a safety issue/inspection kind of thing. So he said he got a real good deal on a low mileage motor. I guess they just trash the body and send the motors off to be resold. Said they even send over complete front ends. Might be worth checking out...alway nice to have another option.

Peace

Members who have read this thread: 0