Rear Mount Carrier on Front of Truck?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Rear Mount Carrier on Front of Truck?

Has anyone here ever mounted a bike carrier that was designed for a car trunk to the front of a car or truck?

I'm driving a Toyota Tacoma with a camper top. I've got a rack on top of the camper, but it's not exactly convenient. It's a 4WD truck and the camper top is about 8" above the height of the cab. So to mount and dismount the bike, I step up onto the rear tire and hoist the bike overhead. I think that this may be difficult enough to qualify as a theft deterrent. And after really long rides, I sometimes feel too feeble to get the bike up there. When I am fresh, it's no problem. But when I am worn out, I worry that I might drop the bike or injury myself one day. I could slide the bike into the back of the truck bed, but I often have other stuff in there.

So I've wondered about taking a rack designed to mount to the rear of a car and instead attaching it to the front of my truck. Rather than fitting it to the trunk, it would attach to the hood. I don't often have to open the hood, and the bikes wouldn't create such an obstruction that I couldn't see. (Though I suspect that manufacturers wouldn't endorse front-mounting the bike for exactly that reason.) Being able to sling the bike on and off the front bumper would be much easier to do. Because the carriers aren't really designed for that, I can imagine that some of them might not fit quite the way I want. Have any of you tried this before? If so, what kind of carrier did you use? Did you learn of any particular problems with this plan? Is there anything in particular that I should look out for?

code: mtbr2011
    this could be done, at your own discretion...we've done some front hitch mounts.
    the only concern is blocking the headlights...this could be a big deal with law enforcement and of course the safety implications.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com View Post
    we've done some front hitch mounts.
    I contemplated the hitch option. My current front bumper doesn't have a 2" receiver, though, so it would necessitate a much greater cost than just a trunk mount carrier.

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    Why not buy some towels and just put it inside the camper shell?

I would be afraid that if on the chance that it does fall off, there would be no chance of it surviving.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by While At Rome View Post
    Why not buy some towels and just put it inside the camper shell?
    It often does ride in the camper. But sometimes the camper is full. And sometimes I actually use it to camp in. This would be a third option, but if it worked it would likely be the first choice among the three.

mtbr member
    I did it! I did it! front hitch mount on my 2000 toyota sienna. I need it for work also, I've got a stab in jack stand for front and rear to haul full 24' sticks of steel. It seems a little high and pokey outie. It is a Hidden Hitch 4 bike hangar with Saris bars clamped in to accommodate funny frames. I like it because it only takes 5 seconds to hang a bike. Modified taller by about a foot for 29ers.(cut and welded a section of pipe in) Might invest in a tray style.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

Members who have read this thread: 0