really need rack help Please!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

really need rack help Please!

As much as Id like to put on a hitch and grab a 1UP USA 2 bike rack I just cant afford it, as a full time college student and no job (at 48yrs old this isnt easy) money is tight. I just need a solid, sturdy, secure, safe rack to transport 2 bikes, and most of the time just one.

Part of my problem of grabbing a simple trunk mount for my Outback is I have a 24" Trek MT220 (new for xmas) for my daughter and those frames are awkward, I realize I can purchase a top tube for it, but its another added expense. And a high quality trunk mount can be expensive as it is. I dont want to sacrifice a quality rack to save a few bux, simply because I dont want to see my 2 bikes bouncing down the road......

Please help with suggestions, thoughts, racks, anything Please.

code: mtbr2011
    i think the thule passage racks are a great value...
    the 2 bike rack should work really well for you....if you post a picture of the bikes, i might be able to tell you if you'll need a top tube adapter, or if you can find an alternate mounting point on the bike to make it hang....
    i'll help if i can.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    thanks for the reply, heres the bike I bought on CL for my daughter, the bike was riden one time and tucked away in a garage, its an older Trek, and to my disappointment I just found out this bike had a recall by Trek, looks like a trip to dealer to see if they'll offer the $100 rebate off a new bike? My bike is a small frame Salsa El Mariachi.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails really need rack help Please!-anitas-bike.jpg  

code: mtbr2011
    you could mount that bike on a rack by passing one cradle through the triangle
    and the other underneath the downtube (stem to cranks)...back tire would sit up higher, but no big deal...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com View Post
    you could mount that bike on a rack by passing one cradle through the triangle
    and the other underneath the downtube (stem to cranks)...back tire would sit up higher, but no big deal...
    Thanks, Ive seen them like that before on the highway....I think I may take the bike to a local dealer and see if they give me some credit off a new bike like the Trek site claims. Then take my rack choices from there, Thanks CnR for the replies, I'll be looking to your site first for my rack.
    Thanks
    AC500