Rav4 and Hitch Rack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Rav4 and Hitch Rack

I was planning on putting a Thelma or a Cycle-on on my Rav4. I still need to put a hitch on my Rav4. I was wondering if the spare tire would interfere with bikes put on either rack. Also, should I look for a specific hitch, or if any would be fine. Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Have you considered a spare tire rack? If the rear door hinges are up to the task, it would simplify access to the cargo area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I looked at a spare tire rack, but Saris's model would require some modifications to fit my car- I am focusing on Saris because I can get a really good deal on them

mtbr member
    with the hitch rack you might have to get an extension to have clearance for the tire.

mtbr member
    I've got a 96 rav4 with the oe toyota hitch. The cycle-on looks to be about the same as my thule t2 I just put on. The bikes should fit on there fine, but you will not be able to use the folding feature or open the rear door.
    Quote Originally Posted by Owler
    Do not dispute right of way with a tree.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BikinAggie
    I've got a 96 rav4 with the oe toyota hitch. The cycle-on looks to be about the same as my thule t2 I just put on. The bikes should fit on there fine, but you will not be able to use the folding feature or open the rear door.
    I am assuming this would be the same issue on a '08 Rav4? Doesn't it kind of limit the storage space if you can't use the rear door? I want to use a T2 (or something similar) because my bikes are heavy and not too well suited (because of frame shape) to "hanging from the frame" type racks. Are there other alternative racks that would allow the rear door to be opened? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood
    I am assuming this would be the same issue on a '08 Rav4? Doesn't it kind of limit the storage space if you can't use the rear door? I want to use a T2 (or something similar) because my bikes are heavy and not too well suited (because of frame shape) to "hanging from the frame" type racks. Are there other alternative racks that would allow the rear door to be opened? Thanks!

I would look for one that didn't have a folding feature. If you could find a rack that stayed at the same level as the hitch you should be able to open the rear door. I checked jensonusa and they didn't have anything that fit these criteria. Another option is a rack that's easy to take off (not the t2 in my experience), or if you dont have to worry about passengers you could do what I do and leave the back seats folded to have access to the rear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Owler
    Do not dispute right of way with a tree.

Members who have read this thread: 0