Rain + bike on roof?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rain + bike on roof?

You're not supposed to blast water at your bike with a hose because the water could get into bad places. So what if your bike's up on a roof rack and you're driving on the freeway in a heavy rain? That seems worse than a garden hose.

Do you wrap up your headset, BB, and other important parts with saran wrap or something?
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Not a problem in 20+ years. Never covered any part of the bike.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Glad to Be Alive
    I would bring it inside the car if possible....if you can't I guess it is time for servicing everything, but I am just anal about stuff like that
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    I don't worry about it anymore.

Sure I might pull my seatpost and turn the bike over the same as I would after an especially wet ride, but that is about it.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I don't worry about it. I also spray my bikes down with a hose because it's an easy way to get them clean. I think the doctrine of not using a hose is overplayed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You aren't supposed to blast the sensative areas with a hose (eg: bb, hubs, headset, etc), but using a hose on the rest of your bike has always been fine. With a car traveling at 70 mph and it raining there's little likelihood of any appreciable amount of water being forced into any of the sensative areas with enough force to displace the grease with water.

I've been riding with my bikes on the roof for more than 5 years and there's never, ever been any problem what-so-ever. You're over analyzing this.

Want to vent?
    Never had a problem in ten years with water getting into parts...while transporting on roof or trunk rack.....i think it would take a focused high pressure hose to really do some damage in my opinion....

Speaking of wrapping stuff up though, what i do get a kick out of is the folks who wrap their seat up with a plastic bag...maybe i was left out of the secret to what that is supposed to help...i can only assume it is to keep water out of those fat seats with alot of padding...
    "I'm supa-fly TNT, I'm tha guns of the navarone!"

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    No issues. On muddy rides, the rain helps clean some crap off on the return trip.
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    I've never had any problems. I also think it's the high pressure hoses at carwashes that you're supposed to worry about - not so much with garden hoses. I do try not to spray my bearings etc with the water on full blast.

The only thing I really worry about with my MTB on the car rack is getting bugs stuck on my fork stanchions. I try to clean them off asap so they don't get dragged into the fork seals causing wear.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    What part of a bug is hard enough to cause wear on a fork? I'd think the 80mph impact would cause more then just squishing about via shock movement.

Q: "What's the last thing that went through the bug's mind as it hit your bike?"
    A: "Its a$$hole"
    Don't harsh my mello

Members who have read this thread: 0