Racks and Thru Axle- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Racks and Thru Axle

What us everyone doing with their wheels when you have a 15mm thru axle? It won't fit on a wheel fork so do you just stick it in the car? Or is their other methods? I have the adapter to connect the fork to the rack. Also will a Yakima or Thule wheel fork fit a 29er wheel?

mtbr member
    When I used to have fork mount racks I always just stuck the wheels in the car. I tried wheel forks once but didn't really care for them, and if they weren't setup just right the wheels could wobble around from the wind. Now I have Thule Sidearm bike trays so the wheels stay on and I don't have to worry about it.

code: mtbr2011
    it's a tough dilemma, because the thule wheel carrier is large enough for a 29er (barely), but there's no way to attach the wheel, to it if you're using any thru axle. the wheel carriers are all designed to work with 9mm qr.

TranceX Rider
    vcyclist,

Where'd you get your 15mm TA adapter? I was planning to get a rack though what's holding me down is my new forx with such config (still 26'r)... Is this the one? If you have a different one may i know. I'm looking for options if i could find more, the better!

TIA!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatienza
    There was no need to scare potential buyers and burn bridges "buddy"
    Tell me now, what's Product testing all bout then?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Same one you have listed there. The Yakima and I got it at Cambria a few months ago. ORS Direct was out of them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have a 20mm thru-axle and got a tray rack just to avoid dealing with the problem.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    You are in luck now, Rocky Mounts came up with a new locking design that supports 15mm or 20mm through axles:

http://www.rockymounts.com/DriveShaft_p/1081.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've got 5+ bike trays & fork mounts. The 15mm adaptor was $45 and it didn't seem like a great solution. Instead I chose to go with a Yakima Frontloader. Shopped around & found a deal - $157 to my door with 2 locks. No more removing wheels. It's easy & quick to load & unload a bike - 30 seconds and I'm ready to go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    i just won a practically unused yakima king cobra on ebay and after one use i wished i had trusted my gut and gone with the rocky mounts driveshaft fork mount. now that king cobra is up on craigslist and once i get the cashola im getting 2 driveshafts

gotta love the fact that it actually locks

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Same one you have listed there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have the BikeBud 15 go check it out https://www.facebook.com/BikeBud15 or www.jdbltd.com/products

Members who have read this thread: 0